worn

• Submitted: Sat, December 08, 2007
  • Updated: Thu, April 21, 2011

• Reported By:Berlin New Hampshire
VIP Auto Parts
418 Main St Gorham, New Hampshire U.S.A.

VIP Auto Parts Check was refused! Gorham New Hampshire

*Consumer Comment: Then Report Certegy

*Consumer Comment: To Carl

*Author of original report: Update to the two Rebuttal entries...

*Consumer Comment: I use a CC for almost everything!

*Consumer Comment: And why can't

*Consumer Suggestion: And this is the fault of the business? How?

I made an appointment to purchase four studded winter tires and to have them studded, mounted and balanced. The work was performed on December 9, 2007. When the work was finished the paperwork was completed and I wrote a check from an Equity Line of Credit.
This Equity Line is hardly used and has a minimum balance on it and we do not write checks against this line of credit very often. The check was "called in" to a company called CERTEGY. Certegy refused the check because the check met one of their "risk models". I explained that I own my home outright and that I had an ample balance on my equity credit line! I was forced to use a credit card at the time of sale, thus paying interest (equity interest is a deduction with zero percent interest).
I will admit that I became extremely angry at the situation BUT will never step foot in VIP again. I called CERTEGY when I came home and they stood by their decision.

Carl
Berlin, New Hampshire

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/08/2007 01:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/VIP-Auto-Parts/Gorham-New-Hampshire-03570/VIP-Auto-Parts-Check-was-refused-Gorham-New-Hampshire-289959. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on VIP Auto Parts

Then Report Certegy

AUTHOR: jsr30fs - (United States of America)

I love it when I read these and the OP thinks anybody disagreeing with them is secretly working for the company they're reporting.  I'm breezing through a handful of VIP reports at 3am because I'm considering taking my car there when I get up in the morning, and this one just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Retailers use companies like Certegy for protection.  Do you have any idea how many bad/stolen/fraudulent checks are written in America every year?

So Certegy turns down your check.  The dealer (VIP in this case) is just as bummed as you are because they're losing their sale as a result of Certegy's decision.

So your checks are as good as gold... fantastic.  Try paying with a gold nugget somewhere and tell me if you fare any better.  Sorry... but checks are crap these days, Mr. Trump.

To Carl

AUTHOR: Bo Johnson - (U.S.A.)

Do you think that VIP is the only company that uses this Check processing co, not. Like every other company the hire outside companys to protect there intrest.
Just like fastenal (thats the co that you manage) has there own company to process there checks and credit cards. You as a retail manager should realize that, but i guess not. But even in your former jobs u did not rationialize things,
being a cop, berlin city..
So the way you put your story is that the business singled you out, again not true.
I see that business is still open and doing well, your few friends did not close the place, in fact i just bought snow tires there for my 3 cars and got a great deal, and i paid with a check with out a problem
thanks
Bo

Update to the two Rebuttal entries...

AUTHOR: Carl - (U.S.A.)

I live in a town of less than ten thousand people and my credit is AAA+. Everybody knows everybody else in this town and it's a small community with a small town feel. I don't need a company to "quantify" my purchase by seeing where I fall in somebody's "risk model"...if they don't trust me, my charecter, or my ability to manage my own finances then I don't need to do business with them!

I would susupect that the two people on here are in some way affilliated with VIP in one manner or another. I promised to never step foot inside another VIP and to also tell as many people my negative customer service story as possible. I have already discouraged friends from buying their tires from there and they have lost the revenue from 12 tires, not including balancing.

When I scratch a check in my hometown, somebody better damned well take it...it's as good as Gold!

I use a CC for almost everything!

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

We have NO revolving CC balances, so we pay NO interest charges. At the end of the year, my FAVORITE [and most used] CC sends a 12-month charge-history with all charges divided into various categories. Now I have a record where our money went for the entire year! Not to mention that 1% of net purchases are added to our savings account at the CC credit union.

Recurring monthly bills, such as utility bills and the mortgage (yea, we could easily pay the mortgage off, but that mortgage sustains our excellent credit rating), are either paid by one of the banks we use, or I simply send a check. We also have an equity line of credit but we never have used it.

And NO business is obligated to accept anyone's check. Next time, ASK BEFORE the transaction proceeds! Personally, I prefer the PROTECTIONS provided by a credit card. When you buy from someone you don't know, there is always the slim possibility that something could be altered.

In 1983 I stopped in a gas station & bought $8 of gas. The charge form indicated "$8" and "eight .... " dollars written out just above where I was supposed to sign, but the VERY faint imprint at the very TOP of the form showed "$0080.00"

It is obviously easy to change "$8" to "$80" and "eight ... " dollars to "eighty... " dollars !

When I pointed the 'error' out, the attendant snatched the slip back & ran back to his station and prepared a correct form. He tore the incorrect form into little pieces. I wonder why...........

And why can't

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

just take a check from the mighty equity account and just send it to the CC company and pay little to no interest if that is really such a big issue? It would virtually be the same thing.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

And this is the fault of the business? How?

AUTHOR: 339cimota - (U.S.A.)

Because you had a check drawn on an account with less history that Certergy felt comfortable with you blame the store you tried to use the check at. and report it on the internet. Take another look at your situation please and try to rethink this scenario from a business point.

933