Complaint Review: VMC Satellite, Inc.

• Submitted: Wed, August 21, 2002
  • Updated: Mon, October 25, 2004

• Reported By:Coral Gables FL
VMC Satellite, Inc.
2710 Prosperity Avenue, Suite 100 Fairfax, Virginia U.S.A.

VMC Satellite Inc double cancellation fee ripoff Fairfax Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Beware of double charge for early cancellation fee

Beware of VMC Satellite!!!
Their physical address seems to be extremely appropriate -
"2710 Prosperity Avenue"; THEIR prosperity comes at the expense of innocent consumers which they rip-off.
Their name is never mentioned when you sign-up at The Dish Network website, or by The Dish Network (TDN) itself if you have to ask for early cancellation.

TDN informs you of its $240 cancellation fee and charges you accordingly. Several weeks later, and seemingly out of the blue, an EXTREMELY threatening letter arrives from VMC demanding an additional cancellation fee of $290.00!!! (for a total 0f $530.00!!!).

After contacting TDN for an explanation, they said they did not know what this was about and that I should disregard the letter from VMC, as I actually had a CREDIT (!!!) with TDN after paying my early cancellation fee to them.

When I called VMC, the representative on the phone was extremely threatening and said I HAD to pay or would be placed in collections, as "they had installed my TDN service"...

On this note it's VERY interesting to note that -
VMC does NOT have my legal name (as it appears on TDN billing), my SSN, or even my new home address (moving was the reason for my early cancellation). They only seem to have a nickname I use once in a while.
How can they say I signed a legal contract with them (when they can't even provide me with a copy - saying "it's on our website / which I never reached online until today), and do not even have my legal name on file!!??.

BEWARE of VMC - in the meantime I'm filling a complaint with TDN and demand they drop them as an installer - they're giving The Dish Network a bad name!!!

BJ
Miami, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/21/2002 01:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/VMC-Satellite-Inc/Fairfax-Virginia-22031/VMC-Satellite-Inc-double-cancellation-fee-ripoff-Fairfax-Virginia-27568. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on VMC Satellite, Inc.

AUTHOR: V - (U.S.A.)

I have had dealings with VMC for a long time and it's very clear how they do business. It sounds like both of the people here wanted exceptions made because they wanted to cancel early.

The first comment was soomething about VMC not having the correct name. My question is why would you give a false name to begin with? They onnly could have gotten your "nickname" if you gave it to them.
On the agreement it states that you have to keep the contract active with at least the basic plan for 1 year *no exceptions* Also Dish can charge you for early terminitaion depending on the plan you sign up for. They tell you this over the phone.

If you move all and can't get Dish moved all you have to do is get the landlord to write a letter on company letterhead saying that they will not allow Dish to be installed and they may make an exception, but it doesn't sound like that happend in ethier case here.

The other comment was that the person didn't know how it worked that there were two companies it says on the website that whoever.com brought to you by whomever.com What don't you get about that? Anyway once you call to signup they let you know on the phone that they are going to transfer you to the installation department which is DishNetwork. They are subagents of Dish and if you were unaware of that it's your fault not theirs. As a consumer you have to be aware of where and how you spend your money.

I have referred many people to VMC and never had a problem and I think that both of these complaints are just people that don't want to play by the rules, and then claim that they didn't know the rules. If your speeding and get a ticket you could say "Officer I didn't know the speed limit." Is that his fault or yours?

Use VMC they are great!!!

Beware of double charge for early cancellation fee

AUTHOR: Wisit - ()

I have an experience about this freud company. I signed up for the dish network system. First I got an email for the certification of free installation and first two months free. I called VMC then they transfer me to dishnetwork. After that I was informed about if I disconnected the service before 12 months, I will be charged for 240$. After two months of service I had to move to a new apartment which the owner didn't allow me to install the dish. I have to cancel.

After that I got a threathening mail from VMC charging me for 290$. I paid by credit card and thought it was over. Then I got both mail and phone from dishnetwork about my unpaid fee for 240$.

This is how they do bussiness. The day I signed up they transfered me back and forth. Make me believed that they are the same company. I signed one contract but two companied hold it separately and no one told me about how they worked.

This is very upset. If you read my message, don't sign up with either of them. Try the other company.