scholarship

• Submitted: Mon, December 11, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, December 19, 2006

• Reported By:Pahrump Nevada
VMC Satellite
10205 Colvin Run Road Great Falls, Virginia U.S.A.

VMC Satellite Extortion! Why do I have to pay twice? I've never heard of this company! ripoff Great Falls Virginia

*Consumer Comment: VA Dept of Consumer Affairs Seems to Just Broker Deals

I got one of the famous letters. Pay us 290.00 or have you life ruined! I never orderd my Dish service through this co.ordered over the phone from Dish directly and after 3 weeks of horrible reception, service interruptions,and a replaced box that still didn't work, I called Dish and told them that I was sending their crap back to them and to terminate my contract.

I paid Dish a pro-rated fee of 236.88 on my credit card...over the phone. At no time did I order any service over the internet or from VMC Satellite Inc. I was told by a Dish representative that my balance was zero.

Flash forward 2 weeks later and I get a very threatening letter of extortion from VMC. Pay 290.00 for disconnecting my service or suffer the wrath of "OUR COLLECTION AGENCY"! I called the Bureau of Consumer Affairs in Virginia this morning and found out that VMC has ONLY 19 complaints registered with them. C'mon folks!

I know there's hundreds, maybe even thousands of VMC victims out there. Please file your complaints ASAP. It seems the Attorney General's office isn't doing "squat" about this company so far. These A-holes need to be put out of business and I mean YESTERDAY!

Leah
Pahrump, Nevada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/11/2006 01:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/VMC-Satellite/Great-Falls-Virginia-22066/VMC-Satellite-Extortion-Why-do-I-have-to-pay-twice-Ive-never-heard-of-this-company-rip-224775. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on VMC Satellite

VA Dept of Consumer Affairs Seems to Just Broker Deals

AUTHOR: Cathy - (U.S.A.)

I have had the usual "run-in" with the mystery company, VMC Satellite. I filed a certified complaint letter with the VA Dept of Consumer Affairs. I was assigned a case worker, and corresponded frequently with him. Several times, he told me that VMC had made offers to "settle" my case for a reduced fee. However, since I never entered into any sort of arrangement with VMC, I REFUSED to pay them one penny.

Since I knew that I had never entered into a contract with this company, I faxed the Consumer Agency rep copies of VA law re: required font size, verbiage and structure of online contracts.

I provided the Consumer Agency with copies of the settlement agreement reached with Dish Network and the Attorneys General of 13 states, which described the same pattern of abuse that Dish Network promised to cease and desist using.
I showed them that it was just about this time that VMC really started to grow.

I did hours of online research, which I submitted to the VA AG's office, Dept of Consumer Affairs.

NOTHING that I submitted to this VA Dept of Consumer Affairs, including VA law, evoked even the slightest interest from the VA AG or the Consumer Affairs Agency in investigating the legitimacy of a company that only enters the "picture" when DishNetwork services are terminated.

With great sadness and disillusionment, I have continued to monitor the Rip-Off Report to see if ANYONE has been successful in stopping this egregious violation of unsuspecting consumers.
It looks like they continue the predatory practices undeterred.

I believe that the VA Attorney General, and the VA Dept of Consumer Affairs is negligent. Even a cursory examination would reveal that VMC has NO LEGITIMATE CLAIM to monies that they continue to extort from web-based DishNetwork customers. THERE ARE NO CONTRACTS!!! A blank copy of VMC's "terms and conditions" does not constitute a contract in ANY STATE IN THE NATION!!

Since the two agencies in VA which are charged with protecting consumers allow this company to continue its unethical business practices, I am beginning to suspect some sort of tacit collusion. Hopefully, I am wrong. But, don't get your hopes up that the Commonwealth of VA will take any action to perform a legitimate investigation, much less do anything to stop VMC from continuing to do what it does best -- getting something for nothing!!!