Complaint Review: VONAGE VOIP

• Submitted: Thu, April 13, 2006
  • Updated: Sat, April 22, 2006

• Reported By:ROBBINSVILLE New Jersey
Vonage Holmdel,, New Jersey U.S.A.

VONAGE VOIP ripoff dishonest billing abysmal business ethic Holmdel New Jersey

*Author of original report: And to top it off- the useless Vonage equipment is sitting in my closet and will collect dust until I throw it in the garbage

I signed up with Vonage on February 10, 2006. I had expected great service from Vonage but what I got was far from anything positive.

My intent was to transfer my current home number to them. They forwarded me what the call a letter of Authorization (LOA) in order to initiate the process of transferring my home phone number, which I immediately completed and faxed it back THE NEXT DAY!!!!! (February 11, 2005)

I did not hear from them for over a week so I called them to find out the status of my transfer request. They of course told me that it takes 10-14 days at least to process the request. When I first called, it had been exactly 10 days.

So I gave them the benefit of the doubt and let another week of inconvenient use of my cell phone for most incoming calls. Only close family and some friends had what Vonage calls the "Virtual number... Now it is the last week in February and of curse I don't hear anything about my number transfer so I call again.

This time the customer service rep actually told me that there was a problem with the request and that they were not able to complete the transfer. They told me that the number could not be transferred because my current carrier (in which I was still sending payment to) told them that the account had been terminated.

Of course when I called my current carrier that was not the case. I emailed Vonage with this information, since speaking to their customer service reps was not going well and waited for some type of reply. I began to email them at this point so that one, I had documentation of what was going on and 2, I no longer wished to speak with their incompetent customer service reps.

I continued to receive the same response from Vonage each time I asked for an update to my transfer request. NO once had they taken the initiative to tell me there was still some sort of miscommunication on their end. On March 20, 5 weeks after I signed up with them, my number was STILL NOT TRANSFERRED.

I cancelled my service with Vonage, but agreed to pay for any fees related outgoing calls I made.
My disgust with this company came to a climax when I received an email the same day that listed a summary of charges which included the full cost of their equipment, the full monthly service charge and an EARLY TERMINATION FEE, all which totaled over 125.00.

I of course called them and told them that I will send back their equipment at my cost but I feel some sort of credit for the early termination fee is appropriate since they did not hold up their end of the bargain and provide me with the service they so graciously offered but did not deliver.

I since use my cell phone as my primary phone and will never recommend Vonage to anyone. They have abysmal customer service and an even worse business ethic.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/13/2006 10:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/VONAGE-VOIP/Holmdel-New-Jersey-07733/VONAGE-VOIP-ripoff-dishonest-billing-abysmal-business-ethic-Holmdel-New-Jersey-186562. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on VONAGE VOIP

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

I have read several new posts regarding the experience with Vonage. I was very close to putting the Vonage router on Ebay this weekend. So thanks to all the folks who stated that the Linksys router is propriety equipment to Vonage customers as long as it hasn't been turned on already? What a shitty thing to do. In my opinion this company has another 5 years of business and then they will disappear into oblivion.