Complaint Review: Valvoline

• Updated: Wed, April 21, 2010

• Reported By: DirtPoor — Troy New York United States of America
Valvoline
New Loudon Road Latham, New York United States of America

Valvoline Lied and attempted to Rip me off for over $300 dollars Latham New York

*Consumer Comment: I agree

*Consumer Comment: More advise

Yesterday I brought my 2004 Chevy in for the usual oil change.  I waited about 45 minutes and was asked to step inside the garage area.  The service man told me that my car was going to start overheating very soon.  He stuck his tester in the the antifreeze tank and said it was clear and was not working to keep my engine cool. My antifreeze is orange and the tester was orange as well so of course its going to look clear!

I keep track of the gages in my car and have never ever had an issue with it overheating.  The car has only had one owner and that owner is me.   So the next "problem" he found was with my AC. He said my AC is "overcharged",  it reads 25 and their tester only goes up to 24.  None of that even makes any sense! I'm sure if I were dumb and had them fix these so called problems it would have been over $300 dollars!  Granted I am dirt freaking poor.  I have a job but I barely make enough to pay my bills and these people have the balls to rip off a poor person!   They need to be stopped!

To make matters even more crazy, I get back to work and talk to a co-worker about what happened.  She claimed they did the same exact thing to her a little over a month ago.  She didn't have them fix the "problems" either.  She ended up going to her mechanic to have them checked and he told her nothing was wrong!!!!

The people that own this company are freaking scumbags!  I want to picket the one in my area before anyone else pays for a non-existing problem!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/21/2010 08:49 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Valvoline/Latham-New-York-12110/Valvoline-Lied-and-attempted-to-Rip-me-off-for-over-300-dollars-Latham-New-York-595198. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Valvoline

I agree

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

This happens at most of the oil change chains.  It's their way of making extra money off of unwary customers.

When I go to one of these places to have my oil changed, I tell them to change the oil and the filter and do not touch anything else.   They are not qualified mechanics, so any "recommendations" they come up with should be taken with a grain of salt.   I maintain my vehicle and keep meticulous records, yet these oil jockeys invariably come up with bogus "necessary maintenance" items that need their attention.

Doesn't seem to matter if it's Valvoline or Jiffy Lube or any of the other chains.  Their method of operation seems to be the same.

More advise

AUTHOR: la gente es est - (United States of America)

Common practice at most quick oil change places. They will also show you on their computer that the manufacturer recommends changing this or that at certain mileage intervals. Most of the time it does not to be done as these are simply suugestions. And they will charge about 4 times what it would cost if you did it yourself.