Complaint Review: Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance Company - Clayton Homes

• Submitted: Sat, August 30, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, September 05, 2008

• Reported By:Cookeville Tennessee
Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance Company - Clayton Homes
500 Alcoa Trail Maryville, Tennessee U.S.A.

Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance Company - Clayton Homes Losing Payments, Rude Reps, Refusal of Payment, Giving account info to neighbors Maryville Tennessee

*Consumer Suggestion: You can record their calls to you too

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Some Answers

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance Company Clayton Homes has lost several payments of ours in the past. They have even sent a collection rep to our house to ask for a payment. We showed him the duplicate check as well as the certified mail receipt. He contacted his supervisor and then handed me the phone. I informed him that the payment had been mailed almost 2 weeks ago and the check had been cashed and debited from our account. He told me that they did not show it having been paid and I could do a check over the phone with him if I wanted to or I could go do a moneygram for $9.oo. Do they have a deal with moneygram where they get part of the money back?

They have called up to 2 weeks before a payment was due informing us that we needed to make the payment right away to avoid late fees. We still had 2 WEEKS!!!!! When we refused to make the payment right then, they called my parents and told them we were behind in our payments and my parents needed to pay it at that time. My parents were not co-signers on our loan nor were they listed as contacts for our account.

Vanderbilt has called neighbors in my trailer park that they cross-referenced by address and given them our account number, personal information, payment amount, and our phone number so they could call us and tell us to call Vanderbilt. Isn't it against the Fair Credit and Lending Act to give out personal credit and debt information without the debtors permission?

Vanderbilt Mortgage has some of the rudest Customer Service Reps I have ever had to deal with. I have worked in Customer Service and when our calls were recorded, we were actually evaluated on them. Do the Quality Control employees actually listen to and monitor the calls or is that just a quick message at the beginning of their calls to scare the customer into biting our tongues when we are treated rudely? They won't even let you speak to a supervisor when you ask.

We would like to be added to any class-action law suit that may be filed against this company.

Christina
Cookeville, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/30/2008 07:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Vanderbilt-Mortgage-And-Finance-Company-Clayton-Homes/Maryville-Tennessee-37804/Vanderbilt-Mortgage-And-Finance-Company-Clayton-Homes-Losing-Payments-Rude-Reps-Refusa-368483. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance Company - Clayton Homes

#1 Consumer Suggestion

You can record their calls to you too

AUTHOR: Laurie - (U.S.A.)

You can get a recorder to tape your calls - Radio Shack has them. You will have record of those nasty reps..

Go to the Federal Trade Commission website to research the laws regarding creditors and or collection agencies. I know it is illegal for Collection Agencies to discuss your account with others but they can call others in attempts to contact you. I'm not sure about original creditors

No one should have to put up with harrassing phone calls from anyone so you need to be prepared to protect yourself. Also check your state laws regarding the recording of calls, you may be required to tell them at the beginning of the call

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Some Answers

AUTHOR: Vanderbilt Is Shady!!! - (U.S.A.)

To answer if VMF gets kickbacks from Moneygram: They do not. However, they want you to do a moneygram because the payment is made that day. They will tell you that if you mail a payment after you are late, that you shouldn't do that. However, they can't refuse a payment.

The reason they tell you that you need to make your payments immediately when you have 2 weeks left is because they get collector bonuses if you make payments. They really start pushing for the payment during the last week of the month. If you really want to piss a collector off, make your payment on the first day of the next month, not on the last day of the month that it's due.

They do have quality control on the phone system as well. Just for your info, a collector will be fired if they ever say, "We are going to Repo your home". If you don't want your neighbors called, tell VMF to mark your account Do Not Call. Once your account is marked Do Not Call, they can no longer call you or anyone you know about your account.

Hope this helps!