Complaint Review: Various, Inc

• Submitted: Fri, July 04, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, July 06, 2008

• Reported By:Cadgee Other
Various, Inc
220Humboldt Ct Sunnyvale, California U.S.A.

Various, Inc The Onion Personals dissapeared without trace in 1 day, taking my subscription, credit card details and contacts Sunnyvale California

*Author of original report: FastCupid to the rescue

I signed up for the Onion personals a few months ago. It is a site linked to the satirical newsletter "The Onion" and i liked the style of it, I paid them money for a gold subscription, with an option to renew in 1 year. All this was done on their website including the agreement to terms and conditions. I recieved a few emails from members and was making some good contacts .

Today I recieved an email saying there was a reply message from a woman who I had contacted, went to open the site and lo and behold it wasnt there. Instead , just a listing of other personals and dating sites which I now know to be all owned by the same corporation, Various, inc. I found their address in the fine print of one of the newsletters they had sent me. I had previously assumed the site was owned by The Onion but apparently not.

On visiting theonion.com I find that the site has been redesigned and has no mention of The Onion personals, nor is there a contact or email address for me to enquire from them what is going on.

Doing a bit of googling about ripoffs I found your site and it seems that this company (Various, inc) has a past history of scamming and deceptive conduct, this makes me very nervous as they have my credit card details. I sent them a message on their webpage, but again, no actual email address given so I have know way of knowing if it will be recieved or replied to.
From what I have learnt, I am surprised that this company is able to keep operating. If they are not under investigation by law authorities why not?

Harry
Cadgee
Australia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/04/2008 04:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Various-Inc/Sunnyvale-California-9089/Various-Inc-The-Onion-Personals-dissapeared-without-trace-in-1-day-taking-my-subscriptio-347569. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Various, Inc

FastCupid to the rescue

AUTHOR: Harry - (Australia)

Within a couple of hours of posting this report I recieved an email alerting me to a message on the onion personals. funny though it came from fastcupid at hightimes personals, I'm not a reader of that particular journal..well I decided to try onionpersonals again and hey, it was working! all back to normal. It seems that the dating industry has improved its standard of service and maybe my lodging this report helped too..
porblem status: resolved for the present time