Complaint Review: Verizon, ILD Teleservices

• Submitted: Thu, December 27, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, March 23, 2008

• Reported By:Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Verizon, ILD Teleservices
www.verizon.com , Internet, Nationwide U.S.A.

Verizon, ILD Teleservices Payphone credit card ripoff - $20 for 2 or 3 minutes Nationwide Nationwide

*Consumer Suggestion: READ the CARD on the PHONE and USE COINS to save MONEY

After losing my cell phone, I made a series of calls from Verizon payphones using my credit card, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth and LAX airports.

The first two, which were from the Dallas airport to my lost phone, were about 5 seconds each, as I hung up the moment I got voicemail (I was hoping someone would answer the calls and return my phone.) The posted rate on the payphone for credit card calls was $0.25/min, minimum 4 minutes, so I was expecting each of these calls to be charged at a _ridiculous_ $1, which I lived with because I was fairly desperate to get my phone back.

Each call, less than five seconds long, was actually billed at $9.61.

I then called my mother, also from the Dallas airport, to let her know that I had lost my phone. This call lasted probably two or three minutes and was billed at $19. (At the posted $0.25/min rate, I would have had to talk for 76 minutes. Not only am I certain I didn't stand for 76 minutes next to a payphone, I don't think I could have made my connecting flight if I had!!)

When I got to Los Angeles, I called her again to let her know I had arrived. This call was maybe 3 minutes, and was billed $4.30.

In Los Angeles I also made a number of unsuccessful attempts to call my mother, one of which involved an operator telling me my credit card was not valid. While no additional charges have posted to my card other than those detailed above, my bank's website tells me I have 'pending' charges: two $5 charges which appear to correspond to unsuccessful call attempts, and one $5 charge for "OPERATOR SERVICE C", presumably corresponding to the operator who told me that my card was not valid. (How ironic.)

The FCC's website (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/PhoneWise.html) makes it clear that it's illegal for providers to bill for unanswered calls.

When I fly back I'm going to take photographs of the rates posted on the two payphones I used in LAX. (I won't be returning through Dallas, unfortunately.) Of course, even _had_ these rates been posted in fine print, I would still consider them a scam. But I'm certain they were not, because I'm very careful about these things. In any case I have no intention of paying the charges. We'll see what the chargebacks do to my credit report.

Glenn
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/27/2007 01:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Verizon-ILD-Teleservices/Internet-Nationwide/Verizon-ILD-Teleservices-Payphone-credit-card-ripoff-20-for-2-or-3-minutes-Nationwide-294730. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Verizon, ILD Teleservices

#1 Consumer Suggestion

READ the CARD on the PHONE and USE COINS to save MONEY

AUTHOR: Clairifi - (U.S.A.)

If end users would actually READ the card on the payphones at DFW airport, before placing calls... they would clearly see the price quoted of $.25 a minute applies to COIN calls!! That means calls placed using COINS, not credit cards, calling cards, or with operator assistance! It is clearly stated, and yet so often ignored. PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTION CARD or DON'T COMPLAIN and place blame somewhere else, if you fail to do so! The credit card rate is completely different, as the call is handled by an Operator Services Provider, AND credit card companies.

TIP for all payphone users: USE COINS!!! It really is the cheapest way to place a call. (International callers should use coins only from payphones with PHONE1 advertising on them.)

Not paying your bill will only add to your costs in the long run, but again.. your choice. Good luck.