Complaint Review: Verizon Telephone Compay

• Submitted: Fri, January 25, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, February 24, 2013

• Reported By:Shrewsbury Pennsylvania
Verizon Telephone Compay
verizon.com Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Verizon Telephone Compay RETAINED MY OVERPAYMENT OF $6,822.09 Lehigh Valley Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: Nearly identical experience with Verizon

*Consumer Suggestion: Cathy, you need to wait until the next billing cycle.

On December 26, 2007 I requested my bank to make an electronic payment of my telephone bill to Verizon. I made a mistake in the amount that I requested them to pay. The amount due was $68.91. I failed to include the decimal point and the bank paid Verizon, from my back account $6,891.00.

I discovered the mistake on the morning of December 26th, and began the journey to have my overpayment returned.

As of today, January 25, 2008, I have not received my refund.

I have made many telephone requests to Verizon without positive results. My bank has make several attempts to have the money returned to me. You receive a different story from everyone you speak with, at Verizon, as to how and when you will receive your refund.

I want the public to know and understand that Verizon is very difficult to work with in the situation. I want the public to know that if you make an overpayment to Verizon they do not recognize it on their automated telephone explanation of you balance. They have the audacity to send you the next months bill showing your current amount OWED!

Futhermore, YOU MUST notify Verizon that you made an overpayment to them and request them to refund to you, your money. They will not refund you your money until you ask for it, they do not recognize your credit/overpayment until you bring it to their attention!

This is criminal, must be illegal and I believe that there should be some penalty to this company for handling overpayments in this matter.

Cathy
Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/25/2008 10:54 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Verizon-Telephone-Compay/Lehigh-Valley-Pennsylvania-18002-8000/Verizon-Telephone-Compay-RETAINED-MY-OVERPAYMENT-OF-682209-Lehigh-Valley-Pennsylvania-303288. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Verizon Telephone Compay

Nearly identical experience with Verizon

AUTHOR: Dawn - (United States of America)

I had an almost identical experience with Verizon retaining my overpayment ($6742.24) made on Jan 7, 2013.  Thanks to a very persistent online bill pay support representative, I finally got by my money on Feb 19, 2013.  In all my calls to Verizon, they never once admitted having received the money, although it clearly had been sent to them. I filed a RipOff report today and am filing a complaint with the BBB.   Cathy I hope you eventually were able to get your money back.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Cathy, you need to wait until the next billing cycle.

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Cathy,

What you are stating is simply not true. I was with Verizon for about 6 years and very often overpaid my account so I wouldn't have to worry about forgetting a payment when on the road as an OTR trucker.

I would pay 3-4 months at a time and every time it would show up as a credit on my bill. EVERY TIME. Without fail.

I can see what happened to you. You paid your bill on 12-26-07 and then it takes a few days to process by your bank and a few more to process by Verizon. You probably missed the due date for that billing cycle. Which means, by 1-25-08, your overpayment would not be showing as the billing cycle that will show your overpayment would be in Feb.

You have probably confused and aggravated the reps at Verizon with repeated calls. And, by your tone here you are probably blaming them for your mistake. And, an overpayment that large probably takes some special processing to get a check cut.

Keep in mind that the problem started by you not paying attention. This is NOT Verizon's fault that you did not pay attention to what you were doing.