Complaint Review: Verizon - Verizon Wireless

Verizon - Verizon Wireless
Raleigh, North Carolina United States of America

Verizon - Verizon Wireless Forced data plan servitude Raleigh, North Carolina

*Consumer Comment: Sad to say

Recently, I attempted to replace my sons multimedia phone with an upgraded version. He does not access the Internet for I have five phones on the plan and selected to only pay for such access on one Smartphone. I discovered to my chagrin Verizon now forces you to accept a minimalistic data plan for the privilege of not selecting an outdated low ranked phone with yesterdays camera.

Is this how the company rewards loyal customers who pay around $250 a month for a family plan? A bonus of an additional $40 a month to upgrade my plans four phones for very limited internet access I do not want to pay for, but now must? It amounts to an additional cost of $9.95 a month per phone, unless I select to make that $29.95 a phone for unlimited accesswhich I dont. How long until the unlimited plan is forced down my throat for the privilege of using VZW?

My sons phone was not upgraded and I am looking at alternative plans, one can always vote with their feet. It was a mistake on the part of Verizon Wireless to assume they knew what I needed, wanted or would pay for in order to raise the companys net profit. After all, what do I know? Are the ringtones on these multimedia phones preset and locked into a rendition of what I want for Christmas is a new Smartphone, a new Smartphone

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/11/2010 06:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Verizon-Verizon-Wireless/Raleigh-North-Carolina-27614/Verizon-Verizon-Wireless-Forced-data-plan-servitude-Raleigh-North-Carolina-630518. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Verizon - Verizon Wireless

Sad to say

AUTHOR: JAFO - (USA)

That requirement of a data package with smartphones is now SOP at all the major carriers.  You might be able to get one without it on a pay as you go phone, or one of the smaller carriers, but not a plan phone from one of the biggies.

It does suck but there is not much we can do about it.  Society is so brainwashed on the necessity of having a cell phone, not just any but the latest and greatest, that the only bargaining chip available - to walk away in enough numbers - won't ever happen.

BTW, not all the non-data plan phones are dinosaurs.  My wife and I both have very good ones from another company that have decent cameras and functionality.