Complaint Review: Verizon Wireless, Golivemobile

• Submitted: Thu, April 30, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, June 27, 2009

• Reported By:Greenville South Carolina
Verizon Wireless, Golivemobile
verizonwireless.com Greenville, South Carolina U.S.A.

Verizon Wireless, Golivemobile Text Messaging Scam Quadrippled my cell phone bill in one month Greenville South Carolina

* : GoLive Mobile

*UPDATE Employee: I am a GoLive Mobile Employee and Here is Our Side

*Consumer Comment: Just Pay The Bill...Huh?

*Consumer Comment: Just pay it and move on

I normally do not go through my cell phone bill thoroughly because it is usually within $5 or $10 each month and I know that my wife will on occasion use 411 while she is on the road. We have a family plan with four phones split up between my wife, stepdaughter, son-in-law and myself and we do not use text messaging. If fact I instructed the verizon people to block all services other than voice when I bought this plan last March. All I wanted was a phone, no games, no special ring tones, no internet, and no texting and I made this clear up front.

Everything went fine for 12 months, then I get an $1,100 bill (normal is about $170/month). I called Verizon customer service and was told that the charges were all for texting services and much of the traffic was from GoLiveMobile. I explained to them that texting should not be active on any on these phones and they told me that it was, but going forward from here would be blocked.

As to the $938 dollars with of text messaging they tell me that I owe it and they will do nothing about it. I am refusing to pay for this outrageous charge and intend to continue paying for my regular service, but the service rep advised me that my service would be interrupted if I started to carry an outstanding balance.
I intend to seek legal remedies if the cost of doing so is not too expensive.

Greenville, South Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/30/2009 12:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Verizon-Wireless-Golivemobile/Greenville-South-Carolina-29601/Verizon-Wireless-Golivemobile-Text-Messaging-Scam-Quadrippled-my-cell-phone-bill-in-one-m-447771. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Verizon Wireless, Golivemobile

GoLive Mobile

AUTHOR: anonymous - (USA)

This happened to me as well but through T-Mobile.  T-Mobile refunded as much as they could of the GoLive Mobile services (they couldn't refund charges for dates before 60 days).  This company apparently gets cell phone numbers off the web and sends you a text and then they automatically charges you for their monthly "Premium Texting Services".  I think I remember the text, didn't know who it was, thought the person had a wrong number, a one line text that didn't make sense. Apparently they do this to many cellular customers and many will not know it since they haven't signed up, agreed to or even been notified of this service and charge.  They also make it look like a charge from your cellular provider, which is what I originally thought. Not exactly a respectable business practice.  If you have a similar experience make a complaint to the Better Business Bureau.  It's a simple process and maybe enough complaints and pressure from the BBB will make these companies stop their dirty business practices.

Better Business Bureau www.bbb.org

GoLive Mobile's Info:

GoLive Mobile
10940 S. Parker Rd, #736
Parker, CO 80134

I am a GoLive Mobile Employee and Here is Our Side

AUTHOR: Golivemobile.com - (U.S.A.)

Hi, we are GoLive Mobile -- a reputable company in the mobile content industry with large and small clients including MapQuest, United Nations, Department of Defense, Willow Creek Church and many other organizations. Our company-wide refund rate including all clients is under 5% which is considered exemplary in our industry.

We believe that your allegations toward our company are absolutely baseless and false. We've never had a case of such a huge amount of money being charged to an end-user for premium sms. First of all in the case of Verizon Wireless there is a $100 monthly spending cap per end-user and that is strictly enforced by our system, but very very few end-users even hit that cap (much less than 1%) -- the average spend per end-user is roughly $7 per month. Again we've never seen such high charges that you're claiming on a single end-user. Your claim seems absurdly unrealistic to us but we're interesting in investigating it further with you.

Please contact our support desk at mobilesupport@helpdeskconnect.com to discuss your situation. We issue refunds regularly to consumers usually who say that their child signed up for a service without permission or they were unhappy with a service. We offer these fairly liberally and our overall corporate refund rate is less than 5%.

These charges are very low though, not the $1,000 range that you're claiming. Please contact us to resolve this matter.

Thank You.

Just Pay The Bill...Huh?

AUTHOR: Anthony - (U.S.A.)

Bikebryan must work for Verizon. If not, he's sure not great in handing out advice.

There is such a thing in this world called principle.

I would never pay anything that I, nor anyone on my behalf, does not owe. If you were dragged into a police station and questioned for a couple of hours regarding a crime you did not commit, and if it appears that they seem to think that you did it, and fighting the charges would be an uphill battle, would you give up, confess to the crime, and suffer the consequences?

Of course you wouldn't.

If the charges are valid, and someone in your family used the services, then you don't have a position to argue from. It is not Verizon's place to police the activities of your family. The services you described can all be disabled in the individual phones, and they should have if you did not want anyone to used those services.

If no one in your family used texting and/or web services, then...

What I would do is to sit down and write a letter to the billing office from where you receive your monthly statement IMMEDIATELY. Inform them that you are protesting unwarranted charges that have appeared on your bill and that you are officially protesting them. Specifically state the charges listed in error and the amount. Inform them that you would like a review of those charges, and that you expect them to be credited as soon as possible when they discover that they were billed in error.

Send payment for the portion of the bill that is correct. Send both by certified mail, return receipt requested, and keep a copy of the correspondence.

Oral conversations are worthless. You can claim all day long that you spoke to this or that person, and that you were told this and that, but at the end of the day it will not force Verizon to comply with a thing.

A written record proves you are or did seek a remedy to your protest.

If Verizon fails to reverse the charges, file a complain with the Better Business Bureau. Do it through the CORPORATE listing on the national BBB site. Not all locations are BBB certified. The chances are that once a complaint is filed, this will facilitate a remedy. Currently, Verizon is holding a 'B+' rating, and that could not be unless they were resolving most of the complaints lodged against them.

If they cut off your service in the midst of your official protest, then bypass the BBB and go straight to the FTC and file a complaint. The more people that do this, the more likely that some day soon, that businesses that operate sleazily will find themselves under the thumb of the Government and regulated a bit more closely.

Stick to the facts. Leave sentiment and profanity out of any complaint you offer. Be polite and cordial in your protests. Businesses do not respond to drama, ire, and semantics, just as you probably would not if someone came up to you and started yelling and cussing at you.

I've been a Verizon customer for almost a decade, and to date have had no issues whatsoever with them. I do have one little issue that I will be contacting them about tomorrow. I'll see if they are as bad as some of the complaints I am reading.

Just pay it and move on

AUTHOR: Bikebryan - (U.S.A.)

Legal remedies are going to cost you much more than just paying your bill and moving on. You were billed for a service and BY a service that is independent of Verizon Wireless, to start with. Then compound that with attorney fees which I assure you are not cheap and you'll end up paying so much more than just your bill amount.

Oh, and start PAYING ATTENTION to your bill. That's why the company sends it out to you every month. Take some responsibility here.