Complaint Review: Verizon Wireless

• Updated: Thu, June 09, 2011

• Reported By: Steven — Lake Station Indiana USA
Verizon Wireless
133 Calkins Road Rochester, New York United States of America

Verizon Wireless Mobile Broadband Mobile Broadband Unlimited Plan - Not Unlimited Rochester, New York

*Consumer Comment: Geez

*Consumer Comment: You have to weigh out the pro's and con's

*Consumer Comment: Verizon SUCKS!

*Consumer Comment: Verizon service terms

I've been on a Unlimted Plan for at least 2 years going on 3yrs. I primarly used my service while over the road as a truck driver. From time to time I'd be in certain areas that didn't seem to have a good connection and other times I'd have really slow speeds. I always assumed it was due to traveling, at times I'm sure it was, but lately I've pondering the thought that I have been throttled.

A week or so ago I called to ask why my service was so slow, long story short I was told that my usage had reached 90gigs and that I was put at the bottom of the que. I had no clue that I had used that much before hearing this, the usage is in kilobits so its not easy to tell at a glance how many gigs I've used. This was a week and half till my blling cycle reset, so I assumed I'd be good to go from there. This was not the case, download speeds up too 19.1kb/s and upload speeds of 24.2kb/s. This slow speed has been occurring fairly frequent month to month, but I assumed this was due to my usage (avg 7-12gigs a month) and also assumed this resetting each month.

After my bill reset, I still had these slow speeds, so I called again. I was connected with some department outside the normal custmer service, a department that handles reviewing of individual accounts. This is when I discovered from there own mouth that I was being throttled. Not only was I currently being throuttled but was informed that I have been throttled 18 times over the last 2 years. This throttling is for 28 days, at the 28th day it comes up for review, if I'm nearly over or over 5gigs the throttle is maintained for another 28 days. This is what I was told by this agent, who I spent over 40mins on the phone with.

I was begging nearly to release this throttle and I'd play nice and try and keep my usage at 5gigs. I was offered many times the option to switch to a limited plan that offers 5gigs at $59.99 (which is what I pay now) and $10.00 for each additional gig after the 5 gigs. Why would I choose to switch and pay for what I should be getting now. The funny thing is he tells me that if I did which to this plan I wouldn't be throttled, mainly because I'd be paying, but I have unlimited.

Does unlimited have a new meaning or is this a breach of contract? I was going to pay the cancellation fee of $140. and move on to a lanbased service, but I feel this isn't right. I have a unlimited plan, and at "19.1kb/s and upload speeds of 24.2kb/s" I can only open email, lightweight pages, and previously opened pages. I am paying for mobile broadband 3g but getting dialup speeds or worse.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/08/2011 09:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Verizon-Wireless/Rochester-New-York-14623/Verizon-Wireless-Mobile-Broadband-Mobile-Broadband-Unlimited-Plan-Not-Unlimited-Rochest-738326. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Verizon Wireless

AUTHOR: MJ - (United States of America)

You need to use the internet ALOT to make it over 90 gigs a month.  Even the PC I use at home for my side business, and for playing games, and watching netflix doesnt use that much, last time I looked I was at 40 something gigs.

They have not sold an "unlimited plan" for over a year now.  They all have restrictions on them.  To be fair to verizon the limits are very fair.

Unless you spend all your time downloading movies, or programs you should never hit 90gigs.  You would need to leave netflix running 24/7 to hit that limit.

And before I get the customary "you must work for verizon" I dont, and in fact I use Sprints mobile internet.  And before you quit and go to them, they have a limit as well.

You have to weigh out the pro's and con's

AUTHOR: Steve - (USA)

I have both Sprint and Verizon wireless broadband. I have had the Sprint for about 5 years which I use at home, and just got the Verizon a few months ago for my business laptop. And, I was a Verizon Broadband customer before I went to Sprint Broadband 5 years ago as they did not have consistent service at my home address 5 years ago.

I too was an OTR truck driver and at one time or another have tried almost all wireless services out there.

Each service has it's pro's and con's.You have to weigh them out based on your individual circumstances and needs.

As a truck driver, you are better off with Verizon over all, even if it costs you a little more, as they have the most coverage at the best speeds throughout the country.

I am a heavy internet user and never even come close to the 5gig of usage. And, keep in mind that Verizon offers several discounts to several groups of people, more than any other carrier. That's why I am switching back to Verizon.

Verizon offers a 15% discount to Veterans on ALL lines of service, compared to Sprint that offers it on only your primary line.But, Sprint's rate plans are the best bang for the buck in the entire industry when all is considered.

Let me make a suggestion to the OP, as it appears that you may be using an older device, and the old VZ Connection Manager. Bite the bullet and upgrade your device to a dual band 3G/4G device with the newest version of the VZ connection manager. The speeds are amazing, and the connection manager displays your current usage amount every time you start the program.

They have the 4G/3G wireless hotspot device which would work great in your truck, as you could put it on the dash and use your laptop anywhere within 150ft, in the bunk, outside the truck, etc.

After my 15% Veteran's discount, my Verizon service is cheaper than Sprint!

Food for thought.

Verizon SUCKS!

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

I had a plan with them as well (for the free computer).

I started noticing that even when I thought I was DISconnected from their network, (and using my pirated wifi) that I was STILL CONNECTED TO THEIR CRAPPY SERVICE!

After a couple calls to Verizon service who had me rebooting and uninstall/installing, and even with the computer manufacturer on the line as well, anything fixed was only temporary.

I then talked to another rep that said her computer does the same thing, it's pretty common and she just "lives with it"!

Well I'm living with my free computer, and they're living without me as their customer...

A bunch of SCUMBAGS!

Verizon service terms

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

Your agreement contains the following statement:

"if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users"