Complaint Review: Verizon Wireless

• Updated: Wed, January 02, 2013

• Reported By: Connecticut United States of America
Verizon Wireless
20 Alexander Drive Wallingford, Connecticut United States of America

Verizon Wireless Discriminates Against you and will refuse to sell certain phones to you if you don't want a data plan. Wallingford , Connecticut

*Consumer Comment: Agree with Verizon Wireless

*Author of original report: Verizon now admits that they will charge a consumer for data even if they are not going to use it

*Author of original report: Why refuse a sale for a phone when they could offer one at a slightly higher cost.

*Consumer Comment: I think you may find that the smart phones that are capable of data are more expensive...

If you want to buy certain feature phones for example a windows phone for local features such as music storage and listening, note taking, picture taking and viewing, calendar entries, contact lists then you can't purchase it unless you buy into their data plan.  They flat out refuse to sell it to you.  You may not have a use for the data plan.

If you don't have a location to upload your data to and find the screen too small to browse the internet, and don't want to share your personal data but just want to use it locally with voice service only then why would you need data? If you want data then you can pay for it, but if you don't need it then you should have a right to have them waive the data fee and just pay whatever their basic plan charges.

This company tells you what you can and cannot do with your phone.  Consumers should have a right to choose what they want to buy not have verizon wireless tell you what you must buy or get out of the store.

The data plan is a huge ripoff if your not going to use it!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/28/2012 08:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Verizon-Wireless/Wallingford-Connecticut-06492/Verizon-Wireless-Discriminates-Against-you-and-will-refuse-to-sell-certain-phones-to-you-988407. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Verizon Wireless

Agree with Verizon Wireless

AUTHOR: JJ - (United States of America)

As much as I hate to say it because I have also had my run-ins with Verizon Wireless. They are correct and every company not just verizon has these policies. They have plenty of phone that can be used as an MP3 player, that you can take notes on and do everything that you mentioned. There is no point at all in getting a smart phone (windows, blackberry, iphone, droid) unless you plan on using it with email, or surfing the web. So yes they will charge $30 a month if you want that phone. AT&T, TMobile, and Sprint have the same policies.

AUTHOR: Drumboy444 - (United States of America)

Verizon now tells me that they will charge me $30.00 a month for a data plan even if I am not going to use it.   Also I cannot get a smartphone without a data plan.   I could buy an unlocked phone from non verizon retail store for $200.00 but verizon won't accept that brand, they say it won't work with their system.   I just want a windows phone plug it into my pc to move my files to and from it.  It will strain my eyes to browse on the internet for too long and besides I already pay for internet at home why do I need it on my phone as well, just  windows mobile PDA features that's all that Im asking for so they say they will not help me!!!

AUTHOR: Drumboy444 - (United States of America)

They are flat out denying me a phone not offering me any other device at a slightly higher price but I have heard that higher priced phones without data for other companies used to be $500 or $600 dollars.    Maybe instead of buying one for $100 I could buy one for $200 with no data, but the company does not offer that option.  The talk is that all smart phone users are going to need data so they must pay a $30.00 Data charge.  What if a smartphone user does not need data, why do they need to pay the extra amount.  I should be telling them that I don't need data not the other way around.  Don't I have that right as an American?

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

than the plain ones.

I don't see any Ripoff by them recovering their costs.

Can you purchase the phone at a premium and avoid the data plan?

Do other providers have similar restrictions, or just Verizon?

I, also, have no use for a data plan and consequently do use a pretty plain phone.

No, I don't work for Verizon, but have their service and find it satisfactory.

They are NOT telling you what you can or can't do with your phone...just the requirements for receiving one at no or reduced cost.