Complaint Review: Verizon Wireless

• Updated: Wed, August 29, 2012

• Reported By: IanAgainstVerizon — Oregon United States of America
Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless $299 damaged phone fee, Internet

I upgraded with Verizon Wireless on 7/5/2012 and got a new iPhone. On, or around, 8/1/2012 I plugged the charger into the iPhone charging port. The next morning the iPhone was not charged and the port was blackened. I took the phone immediately into the Verizon store where I had received it. They agreed the phone was burnt and called Verizon support to get me a new phone. I left the phone with the store to be shipped off to the Verizon warehouse and received my refurbished iPhone a few days later. I then went back into to the store, as they failed to send me a new charger. I purchased a new charger at the store and received a credit back to my Verizon bill.

On my next bill I noticed a charge of $299. I called in thinking this must be a mistake. I was informed by the Verizon representative that they tested my iPhone at the Verizon warehouse and determined that water damage had occurred, and that voided the manufacturer's warranty. So they charge the $299 as damaged phone fee. I have tried to reason with Verizon, I had the phone less than a month and it never came in contact with water under my possession. I have called and spoken with 6 different representatives, including 2 managers of the call center, totaling about 4 hours of call time. I have had the Verizon store call twice on my behalf to have them report that they personally saw the phone before we shipped it and it was fire damaged, not water damaged. I was also never informed about this process. I left the store with the understanding that a new phone was being sent, never a thought I could be charged for it. I have asked Verizon Wireless to do one of two things; refund their $299 charge or send me the iPhone back that they claim was water damaged. They will do neither of these. I have had them offer me numerous deals to settle, including up to $200 credit. I did not accept the $200 credit, as they told me it would void my claim for the remaining $99. I've since filed a Better Business Bureau claim, but haven't received a response from Verizon yet.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/29/2012 01:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Verizon-Wireless/internet/Verizon-Wireless-299-damaged-phone-fee-Internet-934370. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Verizon Wireless