Complaint Review: Verizon Wireless

• Updated: Mon, April 21, 2014

• Reported By: socalif4niadude — indio California
Verizon Wireless
Nationwide USA

Verizon Wireless Unexplained Data Usage and Overage Charges without Verizon having a solution or explanation Nationwide

Here is one of my comments at Verizon Wireless Community Discussion site.  This is just one of many i have placed at the site.  Data overage charges is a highly complained about topic with Verizon.  This comment below was held up for response by others until it can be approved by a moderator.  I have never had this happen before and Verizon must have a good reason for not commenting or approving it to be posted.

The comment basically explains my frustration with Verizon regarding the use of a USB Modem device and a service contract.  I hope people read this and understand what is happening to others and me with Verizon's service.  Please reply if this is happening to you.

Comment and Questions directed to Verizon on 4/20/14:

Data overage charges seems to be a big issue these days with Verizon.  It is troubling to read all the complaints without any reasonable explanation.  Why is it that Verizon's customer are always surprised to witness this overage charge on their billing statement? Is Verizon using this overage charge to lock customers into a new contract or upgrade?  We try to explain that our data usage pattern has not changed, only on our billing statement.  Why does it always happen at a point where our accounts are changing or ending?  Read the following very closely and answer the questions truthfully and maybe I will stop and listen.

Verizon convinced me to upgrade to a 4G plan and modem before my area even had 4G available.  They said I would be only able to go online with 3G service until my area was upgraded to 4G.  I was placed on the 5gb data plan with a $10.00 per gb overage charge.  So it seemed Verizon was happy to upgrade me even though they knew I would not be able to take advantage of 4G for a period.  I was fine with this till the problems started and Verizon's deceitful ways took over my account.

I was told that I would need to purchase a 4G USB modem device when they upgraded my plan to 4G.  They offered a free 4G device (Verizon reconditioned USB Modem) with a 2yr.  This reconditioned modem failed to work exactly two weeks after the warranty expired.  Verizon basically said, "Oh well, you well need to purchase a new device at full price."  I said, "I wish I never switched from my 3G device to 4G."  Verizon said, " You can have your 3G modem reinstated on YOUR EXISTING 4G PLAN WITHOUT CHANGES TO YOUR EXISTING PLAN."

So my 3G device was reinstated and I received an email telling me only just that, "Your 3G device was reinstated." I came 1-2 gigabytes shy of using my 5Gb allowance for the remainder of my 2yr. contract.  The last two months of my contract showed extreme data usage that exceeded my 5Gb allowance.  Plus, that overage was charged at a different rate than stated on my contract ($10.00 per gb overage).

My question is why would Verizon fail to mention this to me when they reinstated my 3G device?  Why does Verizon hide these changes in a document that is filed somewhere at the my Verizon site that no one even knows it exists?  Why didn't Verizon offer to put me back on a 3G plan if that would of saved me the outrageous overage fees I was being charged?  Why didn't Verizon say state that my fees would change if I used my old device, which by the way Verizon sold me previous to the defective 4G modem?  Why would Verizon want anyone to pay $0.05 per mb for data overage charges?

It seems to me that Verizon had plenty to discuss with me before all of this transpired.  What was the reason to hold back on properly informing your client of all available options?  Did Verizon think they could lock me into a new 2yr. contract by charging me major overage data usage at the end of my 2yr. contract and blaming it on my 3G modem?

I say this because the first thing that was mentioned by a Verizon agent was that they recommended that I upgrade back to a 4G modem and my original plan.  What?  Do you take me for an idiot and follow the others you take advantage of to make money.  Why would I be foolish enough to believe that you would not do it to me a second time.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/21/2014 09:17 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Verizon-Wireless/nationwide/Verizon-Wireless-Unexplained-Data-Usage-and-Overage-Charges-without-Verizon-having-a-solu-1140404. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Verizon Wireless