Complaint Review: Verizon wireless

• Reported By: Helen B — Appleton Wisconsin
Verizon wireless
Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Verizon wireless DOESN'T CARE in my opinion Appleton Wisconsin

*Consumer Comment: Did you even read my report?

*Author of original report: To: Where is the Ripoff

*Consumer Comment: Where is the RipOff?

I had been a cell phone customer of Airfire for years and loved my new phone.  They are going out of business and I needed to find a new carrier.  I am retired, so my son suggested I go on his plan with Verizon.  My son told me he loved the phone service with Verizon but hated dealing with the stores or their customer service.  I soon found out WHY!!!!  When we went to the store to pick out a phone, the rep told us my phone could not be used as it was incompatible with their service.  I had a nice Samsung phone and they sold similar ones in their store but not my phone.  When I asked the rep why, he just said; “It’s not”.  We were talked down to the entire time we were there.

I picked out 2 different phones that I liked.  The rep said one was good but the other one they had a lot of complaints about.  So, I picked out the one that he recommended.  He went to get the phone and came back and said they were out of stock and I would have to wait a week or 10 days for the phone to come in.  I did need to switch service right away to keep my same number so I went with the more expensive phone.  (I wonder if they were told to get rid of the phone that had all the complaints.)   When I asked the rep if he could check with other stores to see if they had the phone I preferred, he said he knew they were out also, in our area but I could drive the 40 miles to another city that might have them.

I can tell you that the customer service with Airfire was awesome and Verizon should hire some of their people that were laid off.  I completed the online survey for Verizon about my experience and gave them a zero which prompted a message that a manager would give me a call to find out why.  No phone call yet, either they don’t care or they are dealing with so many complaints it takes a while.  In my opinion, I don’t think they care.

By the way, I did call the customer service number from Samsung and asked them why their phones were not compatible.  They told me I should go with a different carrier because my phone was compatible.  Surprise, surprise.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/16/2014 04:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Verizon-wireless/Appleton-Wisconsin-54911/Verizon-wireless-DOESNT-CARE-in-my-opinion-Appleton-Wisconsin-1170123. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Verizon wireless

Did you even read my report?

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

The ripoff is that I didn't need to buy a new phone.

- And I told you the same thing.  Had you gone to another carrier that was GSM not CDMA you could have kept your current phone.

- I really want you to think about that statement.  Why if they were a successful company would they just all of the sudden shut their doors?  Not only that and while not really wanting to "bash" any company existing or not.  In looking at what reviews they had, along with some okay ones they had the same type of "horrible" complaints you read about the "big" carriers.

Now, I will say one thing.  The only thing that Verizon MAY have done wrong is that the salesperson did not make it clear that if you wanted to keep your phone you would have to go to a GSM carrier(Such as AT&T).  Perhaps they did but you and/or your son ignored it because he wanted to stay with Verizon. Well if you stay with Verizon you get a new phone...that is NOT a RipOff.

Oh and one final thing.  Get off of the "you must be an employee".  That is really Standard when a person doesn't like what was said and figures if they "accuse" the person who wrote it of being an employee that somehow discredits them.  Well if you look around this site you would realize that the only one it discredits is you.

To: Where is the Ripoff

AUTHOR: Helen B - ()

You must work for Verizon.  The ripoff is that I didn't need to buy a new phone.  Also my service with Airfire was to expire in 2 days when I went to the Verizon store.  Not all customers for Airfire renewed on the same date, yes they have service until the 28th.  The rep was told I only had 2 days before my phone expired and I couldn't port my number.  The whole point is their attitude toward customers is not very good.  Maybe they should hire some of the Airfire execs and learn good customer service.

Where is the RipOff?

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

First of all you make this sound like you had 1 hour to change service or you would loose your phone.  You do have to change but you have a bit of time still.  You actually have until August 28th to "port" your number to a new carrier.  Why is this important.  Because depending on exactly why you went to this store, that gave you about 2 weeks.  And in all honestly since there is time to fill out the survey and complain that they didn't call you back it may have even been more than 2 weeks at the time. Giving you more than enough time to wait the 7-10 days if you did want that cheaper phone.

The next item, according to Airfire their phones are "unlocked" GSM phones.  So you could go to any GSM provider and not have to get a new phone.  The problem is Verizion is CDMA, meaning that your old phone is NOT compatibile.

Now, yes you did call Samsung and they did say that their phones are compatible.  And they are right to a point...they have phone models that work on both carriers but they are still different phones.  They will ship the CDMA version to Verizon and a couple of others and the GSM version to everyone else.   Just like if you bought a phone at Verizon, if you tried to go to AT&T they would tell you that the phone is not compatible.  So yes if you wanted to keep your old phone you just needed to find a GSM carrier.

Oh and as for them not calling you after the survey.  You didn't say when you filled it out but if you did this on something like a Friday at 5PM since they probably don't work weekends it may be sometime early next in a week.  Of course if it really bothers you, why not call them?