Complaint Review: Vertrue, Inc

• Submitted: Wed, December 19, 2007
  • Updated: Sat, December 29, 2007

• Reported By:Omaha Nebraska
Vertrue, Inc
9500 West Dodge Road Omaha, Nebraska U.S.A.

Vertrue, Inc - (Simply You) Unauthorized yearly membership charges Omaha Nebraska

*Author of original report: Resolution of Dispute with Vertrue

On Dec 14, 2007 I noticed a charge of 249.95 on my bank statement from 'Simply You' which I did not recognize. I called the number and asked what it was. I was told it came from something I ordered in 2003!. Not fully understanding what was going on, I demanded a credit of that amount. I was not told anything else about previous charges. But after I hung up, I got suspicious and checked bank statements going back to that purchase of 27.44 made in Feb 2003.

It turns out they weren't charging me monthly, but in December of each year beginning in 2003 they were charging me for something, I don't know what.
But these were the charges:
2003: $109.95 2004: $199.95 2005: $219.95 2006: $239.95 2007: $249.95

I have received credit of 249.95 for the last charge, but that still leaves
$769.80. I have filed a claim with the BBB. I have also already sent several emails to Vertrue, with of course, no response from them. If I don't hear from them soon, since I live in Omaha, I will be making a 'personal call' to their offices.

I am determined to not let them get away with this and am willing to do whatever it takes to get restitution. I will even hire a lawyer if necessary. I just don't want this scammer to keep ripping people off.

Dugan51
Omaha, Nebraska

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/19/2007 02:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Vertrue-Inc/Omaha-Nebraska-68114/Vertrue-Inc-Simply-You-Unauthorized-yearly-membership-charges-Omaha-Nebraska-292955. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Vertrue, Inc

AUTHOR: Dugan51 - (U.S.A.)

Here is the letter I sent and because of which I got my money back within ten days.

Dear Mr. Johnson,

On December 14, 2007 I discovered a questionable charge of $249.95 on my bank cash card account from something called Simply You. Having no idea what this was, I called the phone number ( 888-242-0180) listed with the charge.

I told the rep that I didn't know what this was and he said that it was some kind of membership that I had become involved in resulting from a purchase I made in 2003!
I asked to have this credited immediately and he wanted to send me some kind of trial material first. I remember him saying it having something to do with discounts and rebates on certain services and products. Wanting nothing to do with this, I insisted on the credit and he said it would be processed, which it was a few days later.

After hanging up, I was suspicious so I looked up my old bank statements back to 2003 and found bogus charges from you totalling $1,019.75. I found the original purchase which was for $27.44 in February 2003. I don't remember what the purchase was, but I am certain I didn't give permission to enroll me in any kind of on-going membership or buying club or anything else.

I have been doing a lot of research since this came up and I know for instance that the Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller has sued you for consumer fraud. This is a quote from him:
"The suit concerns a marketing scheme in which consumers' credit cards and bank accounts are charged for memberships in so-called discount buying programs - even though many consumers don't know they are members, are not aware that they are being charged yearly or monthly membership fees, and make no use whatsoever of the so-called membership benefits."

That is exactly what you did to me. Your company is like a pick-pocket that will keep doing
it until you grab their hand reaching in your pocket and beat them senseless. You would have done this to me indefinitely. I received absolutely nothing in return for the $1,019.75 that you pilfered from me. You were perfectly happy to keep sneeking into my account every December and not let me know about it.

Please tell me how what your company is doing is any different from what a identity thief does. You obtained my card number from a purchase and proceeded to fleece me under the guise of a 'buying club membership'. Obviously what you're doing using your negative option entrapment technique is on the fringe of legality and you probably get away with it most of the time. I was surprised to see that your office at 9500 West Dodge is as large and nice as it is. Based on your tactics I would have expected Vertrue to be in a boiler room. I think you're dishonest all the way down to your security guards. When I asked them if there was a company called Simply You in the building, they quickly said No and didn't offer any other help. That was before I was aware of the Vertrue connection. I won't be turned away so easily if I need to call again and I probably won't be alone .

Mr. Johnson, if what you're doing is on the 'up and up' then why is there such a proliferation of complaints and suits against you? Why aren't you a member of the Better Business Bureau? If you're running a legitimate, customer oriented service business, you have happy customers. Why don't you notify your 'customers' or should I say victims, with a mailed statement as to the status or more accurately the existence of their accounts? I think I know why.

Here's a quote from www.consumeraffairs.com: Vertrue's history and evolution have been recounted by ConsumerAffairs.Com, which has logged more than 250 complaints about the company and many more about Vertrue schemes proferred under different names.