Complaint Review: Viacom

• Reported By: Tsaylor — Staten Island New York United States of America
Viacom
59th street NYC, New York United States of America

Viacom Lori sales Voice over scam New York City, New York

*Consumer Comment: Scam is still happening!

*Consumer Comment: Voice Over Scam jerk

*Consumer Comment: Could this be "Lori" Edwards?

*General Comment: Around the financial District

*Consumer Comment: Same thing happened to me

*General Comment: Voice Over Scam

As I was was standing at 59th street and Lexington ave filling out some paper work an older African American man asked me to directions to MOMA. I explained to him the best i could, as i was somewhat in a rush myself. He then proceeds to complimenting my voice and how it sounds good for cartoon voicing and how he works for Viacom and he knows they are looking for some candidates to do a VoiceOver for Hello Kitty. He then seemed very interested, and began showing me all his business cards and kept praising my voice and how he had to get me into the studio.

He said he usually doesn't go up to people in the streets, but heard my voice and thought it would be perfect. He seemed like a truthful person, so i continued to listen. He asked for a few minutes of my time and whether i was interested in the job to voice cartoons. He insisted that i needed to do it, again showed me his business cards said he worked for viacom, show me a business card. He was extremely professional in his demeanor actually resembled al roker, and was put together... He talked about viacom and how they were hiring people to voiceovers and said he can promise me they would love to have my voice. He googled his name and a link came up saying how he was some manager or something, and also called Viacom and let me listen to the phone call to ensure it was in fact the company he said he was calling. He also told me the position was on weekends and asked if I was comfortable coming in for calls on the weekends, and that I was allowed to bring people to the calls with me to ensure everything was legit.

Basically, he used a lot of psychology throughout the chat. If this whole thing isn't real, it sure sounded real. He tried to make me trust him and tried to make me believe what he said.. He asked for my name, email address and number, but nothing else. I asked about contracts, and he told me Viacom would email me the package and everything I needed I needed. He told me not to worry, because i'm worrying too much, and if i do, it will be a lot of hassle and he doesn't want the hassle. By saying that, its a line where it makes people feel as if HE/SHE is doing something wrong.

He said the only thing was that we had to pay for our voice kits. He told me that artists will be paid around $190 an hour, but the kits are a one time fee. He then asked if i could pay the money for the voice kits now, which would be $380. I said i did not have enough and he told me that i can get it from the ATM. He asked me how much i am comfortable giving him now and i said $60. He told me that he can spot me, but i have to pay him back once i work. I agreed. At the ATM, I got the $60 out gave him one of my cards, and he said both him and Viacom would be in touch and at this time he also mentioned he would bring me and a friend to a broadway play or Knicks game as he has connections within Viacom and can get us "hooked up" ... He even stated at this point "if you don't trust me you can have your money back, I want you to trust in me and Viacom because I know you have a ton of potential" He walked me back half a block, said that he will contact me in a few weeks and gave a small hug and said goodbye. I did not have time to report this because i had to rush back to work and was also slightly caught off guard.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/08/2013 03:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Viacom/NYC-New-York-10022/Viacom-Lori-sales-Voice-over-scam-New-York-City-New-York-993488. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Viacom

Scam is still happening!

AUTHOR: anonymous - (USA)

This guy got me today! I cannot believe I fell for it. He seemed so professional and knew exactly what to say to make me believe him. I consider myself someone with pretty good street smarts and always ignore all the scammers on the streets of NY but this guy is good. He asked me for directions, said I have an amazing voice, blah blah. I've actually been told I should do voice overs by several friends, so this guy unfortunately sparked my interest when he said he worked at Viacom and was casting for a cartoon. He gave me the whole $380 nonsense for voice recordings, that I would make $190 an hour, did a phone call to someone, said he'd send me Book of Mormon tickets, etc. I wasn't comfortable giving him what he was asking but he got me for a lot. I'm so embarrassed to say, $180. This guy needs to be stopped! I sure hope I run into him again. He seems to hang around where I live and work. I'm so mad and feel so stupid!!! Why would I ever fall for giving someone cash on the street? I never knew I could be so gullible. Lesson learned. Trust no one!

Voice Over Scam jerk

AUTHOR: SandyLove - ()

I was leaving school at devry from an orientation 2.28.14 at 12pm and walking to the 33rd st/park ave 6 train station. I stopped to smoke a cigarette and drink some coffee from 7/11 when out of nowhere a stumpy husky caucasian man in his late 40's wearing a leather coat and a very dusty baseball vap with an eagle on it asks me for directions to Sephora. I told him the directions, but very quickly he says "Hey you have an anazing voice what do you do." i told him i work in accounting. He then says "I work for Nickelodeon and Disney and am interested in hiring you to do voiceovers you have an amazing voice, we pay $190 an hour." Automatically knowing that this was a scam i politely say "no thank you" He then proceeds to flash his beat up looking so valled Nickelodeon ID in his wallet in my face and gets closer. Then he repeats many times "Wow you have an amazing voice! are you spanish?" Immediately feeling uncomfortable, i tell him "no thank you i have to go" He then gets closer and says, "come one walk me to the end of the block so we can discuss it more." I was pissed and extremely uncomfortable at this point to the point where i had to make up a lie "I have to go meet up with some friends." and then i speedily walk off. Scam artists and Roaches are the same to me in this city! Disgusting, annoying, and hard to get rid of!

Could this be "Lori" Edwards?

AUTHOR: Anonymous - ()

I have the same story as everyone else here, just a different location. This guy told me his name was Lori Edwards. I found a guy online named Daryl Edwards, who was on The Cosby Show, just like "Lori" told me. If this man is not the man who is going around doing the Viacom voiceover scam, he sure does look like him. Here's his IMDb profile: http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0249921/ If the link doesn't work, go to imdb.com and search Daryl Edwards. Please tell me if this is the guy. Daryl Edwards is also on Facebook...his profile picture is with Minnie Mouse. He is also on Linkedin. All of his social profiles have limited activity. He is in NY, not West Hollywood as he may have told you. If this is the guy is who scammed you please respond and the proper channels will be taken to make sure he never does this again.

#4 General Comment

Around the financial District

AUTHOR: anonymouse - ()

This also happened to me sadly. I knew better not to get invovled with someone I have just met on the street but I have to admit, the guy was pretty charming with his words. In hindsight, he used some sneaky psychology to get to me as the first poster above said. My story is extremely similar to the ones that have been previous mention, asking for directions, saying how nice my voice sounds, continously showing me his business cards from various companies, calling a repersentative from viacom, telling me how this is a great opportunity, he liked me so much that he'll pay for 2/3 of the cost, and etc. Same story as above.

Same thing happened to me

AUTHOR: Anonymous - ()

The same guy got me on 52nd and 6th near asking for directions to whole foods.  It was the same story as described above.   I never speak to people on the street, but I was so distracted running to grab lunch and the whole story was so elaborate.  I'm sad to admit he got $80 out of me.  There were definite red flags - not giving me a business card, the whole "don't call us, we'll call you," type nature of having a "press kit sent," and especially him acting like he didn't have time for me to look him up on my phone.  This guy is definitely good.  I felt so stupid that I gave a guy $80 for saying I sounded like a monkey.  The worst thing about the exchange - he even added that I would owe HIM an apology once I realized this was real.  Wow.  Guess I learned an exopensive lesson.

#6 General Comment

Voice Over Scam

AUTHOR: Anonimus - ()

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday afternoon on 58th street and Broadway. Except he asked me where is Whole Foods on Columbus Circle and then started praising my voice in a very cute way saying that I sound like a monkey and that he loves how I speak. The worst thing is that I was actually looking into voice over jobs and I was so happy that someone actually offered it to me out of the blue. Destiny? Hell no! The story really seemed true, he really seemed to know what he is talking about. I usually never trust anyone in the street just like that, but this guy is really good.

He said the same thing about the payment and he asked me for $395. I gave him $60 dollars and told him that if this is not real, I will find him and kill him. He smiled, gave me a hug and said: I know you will. He better watch out now that I know that he is obviously around that area where I usually love to hang around. I am looking forward to meet him again. I'm a girl, but I'm gonna kick his butt and yell at him in my monkey voice! I just gave money to someone who told me I sound like a monkey... Still laughing at myself.