Complaint Review: Viceroy Homes Limited

• Submitted: Mon, November 20, 2000
  • Updated: Tue, February 15, 2011

• Reported By:Rome NY
Viceroy Homes Limited
414 Croft St. E. Port Hope, ON U.S.A.

VICEROY HOMES OFFERS VERY POOR QUALITY!! *UPDATE ex-employee "Poor quality and workmanship"

*Consumer Comment: Another Viceroy Owner

*Consumer Comment: Viceroy Homes have been good to me

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Time to get out

*0: ....they hire junkies and alcoholics

The triple pane windows in my mother's Viceroy Home fogged up shortly after purchase. Since we didn't notify them within three years (due to my father's death) they will not fix them. The windows won't even move up. The windows don't latch properly either.

There are knot holes in the structure that go through to the house. Although the house has been stained regularly, the wood is deteriorating more than it should for only being 15 years old. We tried, unsuccessfully, to get a representative to come to look at the structure.

I would like to know if there are many others experiencing problems with Viceroy Homes. Possibly we could pursue a class action suit.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/20/2000 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Viceroy-Homes-Limited/Port-Hope-ON-L1A-4H1/VICEROY-HOMES-OFFERS-VERY-POOR-QUALITY-UPDATE-ex-employee-Poor-quality-and-workmanshi-3891. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Viceroy Homes Limited

Another Viceroy Owner

AUTHOR: Pete - (United States of America)

I built my own Viceroy home 21 years ago, it was the best thing I ever did. The quality of the materials was far and beyond what was available locally. I would highly recommend them.

These claims of "alcoholics and drug addicts" speaks for itself. Seems to be a disgruntled ex-employee venting some frustration. Unfortunealy cyberspace is an easy place to hide after making ridiculous and slandering comments.

My Viceroy home has been great, it does require some upkeep because of all the natural wood. If that is a problem for some then go the vinyl route. I have had only 3 windows fog in the course of 21 years, which is quite normal for a insulated wood window in a harsh environment.

If your windows fogged up shortly after purchase then you didn't follow the installation and maintenance instructions. Sorry for your bad experience.

Viceroy Homes have been good to me

AUTHOR: ClearwaterBC - (Canada)

I found this website while googling Viceroy homes, in hopes of finding plans to build another one.

I was so impressed with my first Viceroy home, I built my second one about 6 years ago.

We are moving to a larger acreage, and going to build a new home there, and I am likely going to use Viceroy again.

I have found their houses to be of good quality, and the company pleasant to deal with.

It was shocking to see this site and the complaints actually.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Time to get out

AUTHOR: John - (Canada)

Although I don't agree with all that was written in the first ex-employee rebuttal, I whole heartedly agree with They also cannot keep there workforce together cause of the low pay rate and there accident rate is out of this world. That is why after 6 years working for them I had to leave. For as long as I was employed at their Richmond site there was always a mentality that subscribed to Safety First, right after lunch, right after production. This started with the General Manager, Production Manager and most of the other management and supervisors.

So last September they finally manage to kill an employee, http://www.richmond-news.com/issues05/083105/news/083105nn2.html

Which lead to a safety review and shut down? Not likely!! Next morning the general manager was back pushing for production rate and quotas, all this was due to the dock strike and a huge backlog of deliveries to Japan.

When this attitude was questioned by the Distribution Manager a heated argument broke out where the Distribution Manager started to list near fatal accidents that he had had to respond to in the four years he had been there. They included hand amputations, rolled forklifts, concussions and a guy loosing an eye. He left shortly after that because he couldn't change their thinking and I know for a fact he had the stomach for it from his time in the British Army. Anyway when my boss left and it looked like I would be answering to one of the Danger twins it was time for me to find work else where before someone dropped a bundle of trusses on me .

#4 0

....they hire junkies and alcoholics

AUTHOR: - ()

They filed the following rebuttal to the above Rip-off Report:

Their relationship to the company: EX-employee

You are so right about your windows, I worked at VICEROY homes, I used to work at there plant in Richmond BC., you have every right to file a law suit.

Poor quality product and workmanship is one of there specialties, let's not forget they hire junkies and alcoholics off of east Hastings to produce there products. I no this for a fact because I've had to trained them.

Viceroy only cares about one thing and that is making money at the expense of the worker.

I also believe that the Canadian gov't endorses this type of
work standards. All countries should be warned and informed about what there buying...

Green peace should be informed about how much wasted wood is being cut up and thrown away. Where talking grade A lumber.