Complaint Review: Victoria Morton - Suddenly Slender - VMM Enterprises - Suddenly Slender Franchise

• Submitted: Tue, February 12, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, January 15, 2009

• Reported By:Fort Worth Texas
172 N. Belcher Road Clearwater, Florida U.S.A.

Suddenly Slender - VMM Enterprises - Suddenly Slender Franchise - Victoria Morton Business Opportunity Scam, False Medical Claims, False Product Claims, Selling Contaminated Products to Licensees and Consumers Clearwater Florida

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Ripped-Off Over & Over

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Rebuttal of false claims

*Consumer Comment: Successful Licensee Response to All of you!

*Author of original report: Response to Anne McAllister's false rebuttal from Shelley Riley

*Consumer Comment: INVESTIGATE BEFORE YOU BUY! I was spared the grief and hardship of getting involved with Suddenly Slender

*Consumer Comment: In the interest of full disclosure regarding Shelley's comments about Suddenly Slender

The incredible inch loss body wraps that have been demonstrated recently on top shows like Rachel Ray, Montel Williams, The View, Ellen DeGeneres, Tyra Banks and many others is a dangerous scam. The body wraps not only don't detoxify the body as previously claimed, but they are most likely contaminated with harmful levels of bacteria, yeast and mold.

Victoria Morton has been scamming hundreds of people by selling Suddenly Slender, The Body Wrap business opportunities for many years. She offers a protected "licensed territory" for a line of mineral body wrap products that she claims she invented.

Ms. Morton and her sales employees originally claimed these body wrap products could make people "lose 6 to 30 inches in one hour...guaranteed." She and her staff claimed the products were safe, could detoxify the body, would tighten skin, and leave the customer feeling great.

She and her staff made false claims and misrepresentations as to what the earning potential was with this business venture. They also made false claims as to the success rate with this business. They failed to disclose the fact that the failure rate in this business is more than 80 percent.

After buying a licensed territory and being in this business for more than three years, FDA reports have now come to light stating the products Ms. Morton sells are contaminated with high amounts of mold, bacteria and yeast and have at one point even been contaminated with Pseudomonas aeruginosa, a potentially deadly bacteria.

These same FDA reports, dating back to 2001, state Ms. Morton has been making "false medical claims" about what her products are capable of doing. These "false medical claims" are that the customer will lose any inches at all, that it is not a healthy treatment for the body, that it does not tighten the skin, and that it does not remove toxins from the body. The only allowable claims now are that this is nothing more than a compression wrap that will make the body APPEAR smaller for a short period of time.

Subsequent FDA reports and other correspondence between the FDA and Ms. Morton indicate she has done absolutely nothing to comply with the FDA Safe Manufacturing Guidelines. She continues to send the FDA argumentative letters and relocates the manufacturing process of her mineral solutions to avoid compliance. And she continues to knowingly sell contaminated products to Licensees for use on the public.

I have tried several times during the past three months to contact Ms. Morton by phone and by email to get verification that her products were safe, as she claimed in a recent email to all Licensees. When Ms. Morton finally did acknowledge my concerns, her response was unconcerned, nonchalant and simply instructed me not to worry about it. She made no attempt to provide proof that her products were safe, leading me to conclude that she still was not in compliance with the FDA and that her products are still most probably contamined and not safe for the public.

I am a widow who spent her entire life savings to get into this business only to find that the business was doomed from the very beginning. It is nothing more than an expensive scam. Over the years, I have wasted more than $100,000. using and promoting a product that was sold to me under false pretenses. What's worse, I and hundreds of other Licensees around the world have been unknowingly exposing thousands of customers to contaminated products.

I am unable to get any of my money back, but I hope this information will protect other unsuspecting and innocent people from the same financial ruin that I and most other Licensees are experiencing.

Anonymous
Fort Worth, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/12/2008 05:54 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Victoria-Morton-Suddenly-Slender-VMM-Enterprises-Suddenly-Slender-Franchise/Clearwater-Florida-33765/Suddenly-Slender-VMM-Enterprises-Suddenly-Slender-Franchise-Victoria-Morton-Business-308190. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Victoria Morton - Suddenly Slender - VMM Enterprises - Suddenly Slender Franchise

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Ripped-Off Over & Over

AUTHOR: Ripped-off Too - (U.S.A.)

I am a 6 year veteran as a licensee of Suddenly Slender, VMM Enterprises.

The statements made in the first email of this Ripp Off report are absolutely accurate. And, I am no cronie of this person. I have found this information out myself the hard way.

Yes this company has been cited by the FDA on annual inspections since at least 2004. Shame on me for not checking. I thought I plus my attorney had done full due dilegence prior to signing. We did not think we had to go through FDA records.

Once the concern was raised of the FDA report, I personally checked the reports. And, yes they have found various bacteria and mold from at least 2004 - 2007. I am waiting for the 2008 report.

Ms. Morton sends out vague emails calling the information false, attacks by petty people, etc. However after repeated requests she never answers specifically and directly. In fact, when you are blessed with a one on one dialogue, she uses more profanity than I have ever heard out of one person's mouth.

I too am remaining annonymous not because I do not stand up, but I cannot deal with retaliation. She may not make or sale a viable product. But, she is outstanding at throwing out lawsuits.

Yes, I understand over 80% of the businesses fail (within 2 years of start up). Numbers can be made to look however you want.

How dare anyone question our work ethics, time spent, money spent. I came from a background with strong advertising, marketing, and administrative skills. I put in over 60-70 hours a week in my business on site to reduce employee costs and trying to keep it viable I advertised locally and in specific demographic and income strata. Nothing but dollars lost.

I stopped using Suddenly Slender products as soon as I had a copy of the first contamination report. I will never put my clients at risk. I too, use a product completely compliant with the FDA and costs less than 1/3rd.

I believe, this company is not just a scam, it is a money sink-hole (I have lost over $125k trying to support the business), I am now forced into Chapter 11, it is unsafe, nothing but lies, they will talk to you daily until they have your money then SOL, etc.

And oh, by the way, I have been on the top performers list since we opened. So, if you want to "pay" $125k plus the franchise fee $40k, make no profits and put your clients at serious health risk, to get a plaque....go for it.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Rebuttal of false claims

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Whomever filed this anonymous complaint is terribly ignorant of the facts. First of all, Victoria Morton did indeed invent this process. How do I know? I was there in the early 1970's and did some of the initial research at her behest. Secondly, the mineral solution used is composed of inorganic minerals! Which means that the FDA is out of the loop! You can safely drink the solution with the worst being a case of the runs. I believe that the complainant is a totally incompetent business woman/man (probably a woman). What is that persons track record? This is a libelous complaint and why didn't she include her name?

There's probably more that I can directly respond to but, isn't the above enough to question the character of that complainer? Oh, and by the way, you can call her on the phone, while she claims that she couldn't.

Pathetic,

John

Successful Licensee Response to All of you!

AUTHOR: Bonnie S. - (U.S.A.)

Again let me start by saying you all have an apparent amount of free time. First of all, there are NO MEDICAL CLAIMS made at Suddenly Slender EVER! Never have they "claimed" detoxification so that is incorrect. Claiming detoxification is a medical claim and the company does not make medical claims! Also, they do not claim that people will lose inches - that is a fact because I have lost many inches as well as the 5,000,000 customers I have had since I opened my own shop. I have requested and seen that the products they have are not unsafe or filled with bacteria. My questions is you all keep saying it's true I have seen it, what exactly is it that you have seen? A report that Shelly Riley made on her computer and gave to you to look at? People don't just give out reports like that so I am curious to know what it is you think yoir looking at.

Also, there are no "false" claims about earning potential. People that aren't dumb know that when they invest in a business there is going to be some cost. You don't put yourself if the hole financially if you are not going to do the work. I can't say enough that if you can't run a business don't buy a business. My husband and I have 3 businesses and we work our behinds off. But we are successful. Work is not for the lazy that's why its called...work. The failure rate of the company is not 80% either. There are about what, 10 of you Shelly Riley clan members and you failed because you didn't care, because you didn't try, because your additudes are negative. There are thousands of licensee's and Franchisee's so the failure percentage of you all is what 2% because everyone else is doing fine.

To add to you fda garbage that you know nothing about - The FDA people made a mistake by using an incorrect peice of equiptment which was later corrected by them and everything had beenfine. There was no contaminated anything so if your going to do research, try to get all the information and not just a part of it.

There are never any false claims made. Everything is made perfectly clear when you call and in the documentation that the company allows you to go over with your own attorney and your oun accountant. You make the final decision on if yiu want to work with the company or not. If yiu do not like the agreement - then you don't have to sign it. Stop whining about how you failed the company and yourself and take some responsibility!

Response to Anne McAllister's false rebuttal from Shelley Riley

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

"Full Disclosure" would be very interesting indeed. Considering the fact that there is NO ONE by the name "Anne McAllister" even living in Fort Worth, Texas and there is NO Suddenly Slender licensee by that name. I can only wonder who this person is and why he/she feels they have any right at all to make comments here. Possibly more lies from Suddenly Slender? This is the way they operate, so I can't say that I am surprised to see a rebuttal from a nonexistant person who is trying to discredit me.

Yes, my name is Shelley and I do own Body Wraps Plus of Fort Worth, Texas. The only reason I omitted that information from my original report was to spare myself any direct contact from those who might read that report and want personal confirmation of the information it included. I am not trying to hide anything at all. Victoria Morton, owner of Suddenly Slender, is well aware of all of my comments and how I feel about her contaminated products. This was made quite clear to her in previous emails and certified letter contact with her, to which she made absolutely NO response.

But, now that my name and location is out there for all to see, I will be most happy to take calls and share the truth with anyone and everyone that asks for it. And I will be glad to share the contact information of other licensees who can verify everything that I have to say! Thank you, "Ms. McAllister."

As for the comments "Ms. McAllister" made about me continuing to use the contaminated Suddenly Slender products....NO, I did not send an email to anyone indicating I was going to use them until they were gone and then switch to a cheaper product. If you have a copy of this email, "Ms. McAllister," I would love to see it.

As soon as I read the FDA reports stating that the Suddenly Slender products were contaminated with unsafe levels of bacteria, mold and yeast, I expressed my concern for the safety and health of my customers and requested information about this from Ms. Morton. When she failed to respond to not only my inquiries, but the inquiries of many other licensees, I stopped using the products. There are absolutely no Suddenly Slender product in my salon at this time! I have since started using another mineral body wrap product which is produced in FDA approved laboratories, and it just happens to cost one-third less than the tainted products I have been forced to use for the past three years.

I am finally able to sleep well at night again knowing that I am not potentially exposing my customers to something that will harm them or their health. Something that Ms. Morton apparently does not concern herself with.

"Ms. McAllister," if you or anyone else has WRITTEN PROOF FROM THE FDA that the products manufactured and sold by Victoria Morton are safe and that she is now complying with the FDA's Safe Manufacturing Guidelines, I will gladly retract my comments here and will again abide by my contract with Suddenly Slender.

Until that time, I will NOT take the risk of hurting anyone or jeopardizing their health in the name of making money...as Ms. Morton does!

Respectfully,
Shelley

AUTHOR: Barbara Brentwood - (U.S.A.)

My best friend and I recently had a body wrap and were seriously thinking about buying a franchise from Suddenly Slender. When I called them for information, I was given the contact information for a shop in Dallas to call for a "reference" about the business. I called that woman and decided to look up a few more shops across the country to call too.

I spoke to seven different women about the business and only one of them had anything good to say about Suddenly Slender or Victoria Morton. The other six all told me I would be insane to get involved with this company! And all six ladies told me about the FDA reports they had and one of them even faxed me a copy of them.

This is scary stuff! All those reports listed one FDA violation after another and backed up all the things said in the original rip off report here. I know that lady was telling the truth because I have read those reports for myself. The Suddenly Slender products ARE contaminated and could make people sick....and they keep selling them! This is nuts!

I called the shop owner where my friend and I got our body wraps. She knew about the FDA reports and said she HAD to keep using those products or she would be sued by Suddenly Slender for breaking her contract. This just is not right. I don't understand why the FDA lets them keep selling this stuff if it is going to hurt people.

I did some more research on this company and found several websites with this same kind of information. The products are contaminated with bacteria and mold and the licensees are afraid to keep using them. But they all tell me they have to use them because they will get sued by the company. Apparently they like to sue their own people and ruin them!

I also found a lot of information about Victoria Morton and she is a big member of the Scientology cult. That alone scares the fire out of me!

I just want to thank all the ladies I talked to that were willing to tell me the truth. I feel sorry for them and the mess they are in, but I am grateful that they kept me from making a huge mistake.

Barbara

AUTHOR: Anne Mcallister - (U.S.A.)

Shelley knows the bulk of the information she posted about Suddenly Slender having unsafe solution is false, which is why she posted it anonymously. But if you're going to post libelous comments about a company, you should at least be willing to take ownership of those comments.

It's interesting to note that Shelley of Body Wraps Plus in Ft Worth recently sent her cronies (many of whom are as negative as she is) an email stating that she would continue to use her remaining Suddenly Slender wrap solution to perform body wraps on clients until she ran out, at which time she would start ordering CHEAPER solution from a different manufacturer. If Suddenly Slender's solution is SO unsafe, why continue using it at all? Why put your clients in harm's way by wrapping them using the remainder of your unsafe solution?

How is that different from saying you're going to keep shooting people with bullets until you run out...then you'll switch to darts because they're safer?