Complaint Review: Victory Forge, Victory Homes, Victory Forge Military Academy, Treasure Coast Victory Homes

• Submitted: Fri, July 18, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, October 28, 2012

• Reported By:Atlanta Georgia
602 SW Biltmore St Port St Lucie, Florida U.S.A.

Victory Forge, Victory Homes, Victory Forge Military Academy, Treasure Coast Victory Homes Scam Artists - Not Christian, Not Military, But Abusive Port St Lucie, Florida

*General Comment: A high school graduate who cannot write at a 4th grade level.

*General Comment: #7

*Consumer Comment: Victory Forge is in Fact a Fraud

*General Comment: victory forge

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Former employee

*Consumer Suggestion: Attended VF

*Consumer Comment: student of the acadamy

*Consumer Comment: Stay Away from Victory Forge

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Victory Forge Military Academy is rescuing kids

This place is run by the Weierman family including the husband, wife, and their children. They profess to be a Military academy with a Christian bent, but are neither. The Weiermans have had a long history of run ins with the law including sexual assault, child abuse, fraud and those are the things that I could find.

Col Weierman, is not a Colonel from the Military. Yes he wears fatigues, but that does not make him a Colonel. He also alleges in his marketing materials that the school is Christian, and that the Christian principles are the guiding principles. This is another lie, as the pastor is the so called Colonel himself, and Sunday church is always ignored for other activities for the benefit of the Colonel (eg, Church gets canceled, when the Col wants to have the children paint the fences). Finally, there is no schooling or education imparted in this place.

Framp
Atlanta, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/18/2008 07:20 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Victory-Forge-Victory-Homes-Victory-Forge-Military-Academy-Treasure-Coast-Victory-Homes/Port-St-Lucie-Florida-34983/Victory-Forge-Victory-Homes-Victory-Forge-Military-Academy-Treasure-Coast-Victory-Homes-352692. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Victory Forge, Victory Homes, Victory Forge Military Academy, Treasure Coast Victory Homes

#1 General Comment

A high school graduate who cannot write at a 4th grade level.

AUTHOR: Brother Errol - (United States of America)

In looking at the article presented by the "successful student" of the academy, he states that he graduated with a 3.4 GPA, yet he cannot write at a 4th grade level? again this is the result of using a nonstandard grading system that does not actually test knowledge, but instead tests bible verse memorization, and allows anyone who cannot read, or write to pass their standards test. I would highly suggest that any parent who intends to take their child to this academy take a close look at what it
is producing. What I saw was a nearly illiterate writer who only has the interest of the academy at heart. Do we assume that the person who wrote this passage fraught with errors and grammatical mistakes is holding a productive job in society? or can we infer that the only job this person has is as a staff member at this "academy" where the staff make up their own ranks, dishoner the uniform of the United States Army by hashing together their own version, and "drill" cadets without any formal training on how cadets or troops are drilled. This is a smear on the integrity of those who served by having a bunch of hooligans who
have never served call themselves "drill instructors" and who go about engaging in wholesale abuse. Yes, drilling cadets without having graduated a formal drill instructor school administered by one of the military branches is nothing but wholesale abuse.

#2 General Comment

#7

AUTHOR: worriedmom - (United States of America)

Hi, my boy is there as we speak well i write!!! I am worried and would like to talk to you! Or who has info on that place.

Hope to hear from you
A very worried Mom

Victory Forge is in Fact a Fraud

AUTHOR: dan. - (United States of America)

I spent a year in Victory Forge.  During that time, I have been hit and choke slammed more than once.  I have been taken outside in the middle of the night to stand and get bit by mosquitoes until all the kids stopped moving and swatting at them.  I have seen kids touched innapropriately, including hit in the groin.  I have many more facts (not stories) if anyone would like to have them, send me a message or rebuttal.  I could go on..  Thanks for your time.

These are are serious issues, but there were more.  The education system at VF is a compete joke.  If you look at the facilities, you will see that kids are packed into little cubicles in a trailer.  I attempted to transfer many of my credits to a public high school, but ended up testing out early because the PACES that the school used were not substantial enough to warrant credit.  Somehow I finished high school Spanish there and I can only speak a word or two...  Your kid will not get adequate education at this facility.

I don't even know if the school is still operating in the same abusive fashion, but if they are, I'm going to look in to it myself.  I am a successful person with great relationships, and I start Law school in the fall.  I served the military for four years as a paratrooper.  I'm 21 years old and can say VF had nothing to do with my success.

I'm not looking for vengeance, but if this organization is still doing all the things it was doing when I was there, there must be a way to expose it.  If I'm too late, then, oh well.  At least there aren't any kids getting shackled and thrown across rooms and made to eat sand and every other bully tactic you could think of.  For how obese Weierman's family is, they should take it easy on the kids' diet as well.  If you want your kids eating the same food those people are eating, then be my guest.

#4 General Comment

victory forge

AUTHOR: pfcbankston - (United States of America)

I loved the place truly it had its moments but i never thought of it as a sexual abusive home. I attented in 2003 to 2004 was the only kid with glasses then always got picked on but was nothing to extreme that someone couldnt handle they never abused us only.pushed us to our limits they all expected good things from us i always thought of that place as a reminder i have been away from there for about ten years and i honestly miss the place it was truly something that chamged my.life i still talk about it to this day

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Former employee

AUTHOR: Trevor Plummer - (United States of America)

My name is Trevor and I worked at the academy for approximately three years, from 2002-2005. I am currently a captain in the U.S. Army, and have served on two deployments to Iraq, with an upcoming deployment to Afghanistan in the near future.

While the program at VFMA/SEMA is very challenging, I personally never observed any of the mentionef forms of abuse. During my time employed in this organization all the staff seemed to care a great deal for the boys. Did we do a lot of physical training? Yes. Did we strictly enforce all rules? Absolutely! And quite frankly I would understand why many would take offense at this. After all, the culture in America has overall turned to a "whatever makes me feel good" philosophy. And, as most of us know, doing the right thing and following guidance from authority figures quite often does NOT make us feel good!

While at VFMA/SEMA, I worked in the school ( I have a BA degree in Education). I graduated from a private Christian high-school and the same curriculum was used at both schools. It is highly rated and is very demanding. Any allegations that the program doesn't offer any type of education are certainly false.

The favorite part of my days were the Bible studies we would hold every morning in the school as well as the devotions we had every evening just before bed. This was an uplifting time not only for the boys but for myself as well. And I believe for any life to be truly changed for the better an element of spirituality must be addressed. Jesus Christ is the only real "difference maker."

Now, did I personally agree with some of the methods of teaching/education/discipline that occurred? No, I did not, but I never observed any type of abuse. I loved these kids and even to this day still pray for them in hopes that they will be successful and happy in their lives.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

Attended VF

AUTHOR: Pfc Hipp - (U.S.A.)

I attended VF in 2003 and I can attest that abuse was occuring at the place. Yes this place is tuff, but this place crossed the line between what is acceptable and what is plain simple abuse. In the real world, the fat colonel would get beaten up had he tried the same thing he tries within the 4 walls of the place. the place did not help me, but scarred me further. Only when I was taken in by a loving, Christian family, was i able to overcome the abuse nightmares and only then did my path lead to the better. i am now in the Army and have served my country in Iraq. I would never recommend anyone send their kid to this place - they are other alternatives. I will be willing to talk to anybody about my horrible experiences and how the fat col looked the other way when i was getting beaten up and bloodied. is that how you teach 14 year old??

student of the acadamy

AUTHOR: Joshua Cardona - (U.S.A.)

I use to be a former student at victory forge and I can speak from first hand experience that this place when completed sucesfully truley does work. I ,just like every other teen there was defient against authority and could have cared less about anyone but me. I also had an extensive drug use problem that hurt my family and everyone else that cared about me, but again I didnt care. I entered this program when i was 16 and lfet when I was 17. The program was definetly intense but provided everything I could have needed to make it a safe enviorment. The comments about it being a rip off and other comments about it abusing children is dumb, to sum it up. Of course it is not a program where they treat you like a loveing mom, and give you hugs and kisses and tuck you in at night, it is a military acadamy, It is tuff and strict to build character. This program changed me and my life I am a person with character and integrety i never would have gotten if I had not attended. No doubt about it I am 100% better person than I ever was or would have been. As far as the accusations of there being no education that is also false. Before I attended the acadamy I had no drive or motivation in school, needless to say my grade point average was terrible. Thanks to this program I graduated High school with a gpa of 3.4.
As far as the acadamy as being crhistian based, there is no doubt about it. I went to church every sunday for 14 months and had bible devoitins EVERY day for those 14 months. I learend more about the bible in those 14 months than some people lear in there entire lives. Also every sermon was given by the chapplin not col. weierman. The allegations made really upset me, so to speak. This program and these people have changed my life for the better. I might not even be alive today if I hadent attended there. This is without a doubt a fantastic program for kids to go to when they have reached a level of defience that simple groundings and house given punishment can not help anymore. I have reached a level of maturity at my age that most people dont have until there in there late 20's. Speaking from first hand expirence I would reccomend this program to any parent that is haveing sever discipline problems with there kids

Josh C.

Stay Away from Victory Forge

AUTHOR: Framp - (U.S.A.)

I can vouch that this place is truly money grubbing which started out inauspiciously. Check the history to see how this place came about and who the people running it really are. Their history is littered with abuse, deception, lawsuits. If they were so pure, why would they get in trouble year after year after year? The abuse allegations, while there are allegations, are true for the most part. The police report is a biased representation due to the influence that Weierman peddles with the police chief. Ask some former officer at the police department, we have, and they will tell you how one hand scratches the other.

The police will never file charges as all abuse cases are not reported immediately. Weierman has been taken to task on this numerous times, and this is his modus operandi let abuse happen, wait for things to die down. If someone reports the abuse, wait as long as possible until all visible signs of said abuse dissipate and then call in the police (but only if the complaint has been made public or has the possibility of being leaked). Since the police never see any signs of physical abuse, they have no case. It does not help that the police chief is in cahoots with Weierman.

Again, check the history of this place and they use the same tactics time and time again. A bill in Congress will, hopefully, prevent this kind of place for existing, but in the meanwhile, there are calls being made to the FL legislators to act to close or regulate this place.

#9 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Victory Forge Military Academy is rescuing kids

AUTHOR: School Commandant - (U.S.A.)

I am Alan Weierman and the President of Victory Forge Military Academy. The complaints against my organization that link us to child abuse and sexual molestation are false. This can be verified by contacting local law enforcement. Their has never been any accusations or findings of fraud. These are merely the musings of a disgruntled employee, or parent of a teen we could not help.

The reports stating that we are not christian, I cannot defend against. Every prson has an interpretation of what being a Christian is. I can tell you that I am born again bible believing, saved and on my way to heaven. My personal faith in Jesus Christ allows me this priviledge. As far as cancelling church for other events. Each morning and evening we have devotions with the cadets. The curriculum in the school is Christian as well and is from the School of Tommorrow Accelerated Christian Education curriculum. I don't really believe that any parent sends their son to Military School for religious training.

The statements about me not beingt a real Colonel are true. I am not. Never have been, however because I am the top officer at the school I carry the rank of COL, much like a police chief is usually a three star general.

The statements about me being the pastor of the church are false. I am the facilitator of the assembly which means I simply lead the service if we do not have a pastor to speak that day. I have never claimed to be a pastor.

The statements about the academics are false. We are Accredited by the National Assoc. of Christian Education, members of the National Association of Christian Schools International, members of The Council on Residential Ediucation, and we utilize School of Tommorrow Curriculum. The credits that may be earned are accepted by most reputable schools and colleges as well as the US ARMY.

This form of educational plan is very helpful when dealing with youth of varying degrees of acdemic ability as well as ages and grades. A survey of students show that students leaving the SOT program at Victory Forge Military Academy are normally about two years ahead of the peers when give a standardized test. This of course is based on individual achievement and the desire of the youth to do the work.

"They claim to make making behavioral modification, but in reality they physically abuse kids. They throw them across tables, hit their faces and private parts, withhold food from them, make them eat their own vomit. There have been instances, where sexual molesters were in the school and had sex with the children. The abuse list goes on and on. Children are afraid to speak up of this abuse because they will get severely beaten up when they return to school. Those kids who have left this academy, never to return, will tell a different story."

This statement above is COMPLETELY FALSE. Check the Police Report. Thse were fabricated by two youth who conspired to get out of VF. It would be interesting to get a list of the kids that the writer talks abnout who left the program and how long they or their parents kept them there. The list of students who successfully graduated the program is large and these kids tell a very different story. Some of these kids are in college, jobs, military, etc. This list tells the real strory.

It would also be ineteresting to hear the difference in lifestyles between those who completed the program and those who DROPPED OUT.