- Report: #728138
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Video Only
Video Only290 Andover Park East Tukwila, Washington United States of America
Video Only Deceptive "Return Policy" Tukwila, Washington
*General Comment: Confusion
*Author of original report: One-year time limit
*Consumer Comment: VIDEO Only Deceptive practices
*Consumer Comment: Karma
*Consumer Comment: Practices are UNCommon
*Consumer Comment: what Video Only will not tell You
*General Comment: I AGREE Video Only PRACTICES ARE HORRIBLE
*Consumer Comment: Very common
*Author of original report: To everyone EXCEPT the commenter(s) above
*Consumer Comment: Learn to comprehend what you read.
*Consumer Comment: OK
*Author of original report: Wording NOT clear at all.
*Consumer Comment: Nevertheless
*Author of original report: NOT a "voice of reason"
*Consumer Comment: Thanks for the warning
*General Comment: Another Di**!
*General Comment: nothing ambiguous about that policy to me
*Consumer Comment: Your kidding right...
*Author of original report: THE ABOVE REBUTTALS ARE HIGHLY SUSPECT
*Consumer Comment: Very clear
*Consumer Comment: settle
*Consumer Comment: Disagree.
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
The policy, as printed on Video Onlys invoices, reads:
1) "If for any reason you are unhappy with the equipment you purchase from VIDEO ONLY, you may return it for a FULL REFUND or exchange within 30 days of purchase/delivery. Units must be factory sealed. (emphasis in the original)
2) Opened-box units may be returned for exchange credit only, providing they are in as-new condition with all original packing and accessories. Exchange credits expire 12 months after date of issue.
Store personnel refused to refund my money and instead issued an exchange credit for $208.04, claiming that the last sentence in point 1 of the policy requires that units must be factory sealed at the time of return to qualify for a refund.
That interpretation of that language by Video Only personnel is completely and utterly unsupportable.
The language of the chains 30 Day return policy clearly refers to the equipment (a customer) purchase(s) from VIDEO ONLY. Because a customer must open the box to determine whether s/he is satisfied with the equipment (they) purchase, interpreting the final sentence of point 1 to mean units must be factory sealed at the time of return creates a condition that is impossible to meet.
Electronics stores frequently sell items in an opened-box condition (e.g., floor models and returned items). Because point 2 deals with Opened-box units, a reasonable person would conclude that point 1s final sentence must refer to units sold in factory-sealed cartons, not that they must be factory-sealed to be accepted for a refund.
The people who run and work at Video Only are clearly anything but reasonable.
My attempts to resolve the issue - first through discussions with a salesperson, then with the Regional/Sales Manger resulted in store representatives offering convoluted rationalizations and arguments that were not supported by either the facts or the text of the chains own return policy.
Further attempts to resolve the issue have been fruitless.
- A certified letter sent to owner Peter Edwards was not answered.
- A complaint filed with the Better Business Bureau was not answered.
- The first inquiry filed by the Attorney Generals Office of Consumer
- Protection was not answered.
- A second inquiry by the Attorney Generals Office of Consumer Protection
- resulted in a response which provided the manager's version of some of the details of the transaction but did not address in any way why I was, and continue to be, denied the refund to which I am entitled.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/11/2011 02:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Video-Only/Tukwila-Washington-98188/Video-Only-Deceptive-Return-Policy-Tukwila-Washington-728138. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.