Complaint Review: Virgin Mobile

• Submitted: Sun, November 28, 2010
  • Updated: Sun, November 28, 2010

• Reported By: Donna — Carpentersville Illinois U.S.A.
Virgin Mobile

Virgin Mobile Swap Phone activation scam Internet

*Author of original report: They will not transfer my old number to the new phone

*Author of original report: 3 days? I don't think so

*Author of original report: Still not activated

I bought a new Virgin Mobile phone and have been trying for the past 13 hours to swap my old phone for my new one.  They advertise 24/7 customer service, but not if you need a live person.  Trying to swap via their website kept giving me a message to call a Live Advisor.  I tried calling yesterday only to get a message that their service center was closed and to call between 4am and 9pm Pacific Time.

I tried again this morning to swap online and got the same message to call in to activate.  When I called, I was told that for a live advisor to activate the phone there would be a $10 charge.  When I asked why, I was told because it hasn't been one year since I activated my last one.  I reminded him that this is a no contract phone and there should not be a penalty for swapping in 10 months.  I finally got a supervisor on the phone who said I can call back and talk to "Alex", their 'virtual advisor', somebody who doesn't even exist!

Now in order to activate my phone, I have to call back in 2 hours and who knows what runaround I'll get then.

This is a scam.  They make it impossible to use the free activation and force you to call in and pay a fee for using a live advisor, and they tell you there is no way to override "the system" and waive the fee when their online activation fails.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/28/2010 06:24 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Virgin-Mobile/internet/Virgin-Mobile-Swap-Phone-activation-scam-Internet-666015. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Virgin Mobile

They will not transfer my old number to the new phone

AUTHOR: Donna - (U.S.A.)

Once again, sat on the phone for over an hour and talked to at least 5 different technicians, none who could solve the problem of swapping the phones.  They tried so many times, my current account is locked out so I can't use it at all now.  I was told to wait 24 to 72 hours for an email when it would be OK to try to swap again, OR I could opt to change my phone number and get it activated right away.

Now, by law they MUST allow me to transfer my number between phones, but they give me nothing but trouble when I want to, and now they've left me with no service at all.

Since I need to have a phone, I decided to activate it with a new number and THAT one doesn't work either due to their "system errors".

I'm out $200 for the phone and $43.70 for a new monthly plan that I can't even use.

3 days? I don't think so

AUTHOR: Donna - (U.S.A.)

Phone call #4, been switched between about 5 different people.  Apparently all their failed attempts to swap my number has locked out my account and they're telling me now that if I want to use this phone, I have to get a new phone number and it could be 24 to 78 hours before it will be able to be used.

Still not activated

AUTHOR: Donna - (U.S.A.)

Just got off the phone with them again, once again I was told to call back in a couple hours because of system maintenance.  So far it's been 15 hours trying to activate with no luck.

This time though I got somebody who put $10 into my account so that I don't have to pay their scam activation fee for using a live advisor.