- Report: #881376
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Virginia College
Virginia College488 Palisades Boulevard Birmingham, Alabama United States of America
Virginia College VC Online Beware Military and other potential Students Birmingham, Alabama
*UPDATE Employee: Re: Not a terminated Employee
*Author of original report: Not a terminated employee
*UPDATE Employee: not true
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
These are the steps taken to defraud many people out of money and their time.
1. The average student that attends VC is usually online looking for a job or school and somewhere in the application processes they check a box that ask if they are interested in recieving information about school. Your information is then given to a lead generating service (telemarketers) and you recieve a call from a very aggressive person.
2. You indicate you are a Military Vet or you have an affiliation with a Vet or Active Duty Servicemen and you are transferred to a VC rep that will try thier hardest to get you to use your benefits at VC. They have you apply with the VA office online and have you use a VC school address, this makes the student feel obligated to go to this school. (plus they have quotas) There are many benefits that people qualify for and these benefits can be used at any school and these reps know this but fail to share this information with you. The minimum you will recieve is a 10% discount and Fin Aid will help you get the rest through FASA, however they try to get as much VA money as possible. During this process you may be told you can not use your VA benefits for certain programs at certain campuses (Red Flag), this is because the course is not certified for accreditation yet. Once your done they will request documents and call you once a day or once every few days to get these docs and to fill thier out going call quotas.
If you are not a Vet or have no Military affiliation you are transferd to an Admissions Rep.
3. Once you fill out your VONAPP with a MSC Rep you are transferred to an Admissions Rep. They go into detail about the different programs and tell you everything you want to hear that will make you go to VC. If they do not offer the program you're looking for they try to convince you to take one of thier limited programs of study. They also try not to talk about accreditation since VC is a Nationally accredited school and that means the degree is worthless. They also try to justify the cost of attendance by stating the books are included in the cost of tuition. Many State University charge for books, are regionally accredited, have sports teams, dorms, and charge separately for books; yet these schools are still cheaper than VC. They to will ask for docs and call several times throughout the week.
4. Then you are transferred to Fin Aid and that is where they try to get the most money they can for the school. You may think you are going to get living expenses for housing but that is not the case in many instances. They will also ask for docs and call several times a week.
5. During the week you will get calls from multiple people that have access to the same information. This is because there is a quota system in place for each person to make x amount of calls a week. Once you have started school and make it past the provisional period you can expect to be forgotten about since reps are too busy working on thier next student to maintain their quota.
This school targets Military for their benefits, and people that can not pass the admissions test for community colleges or universities. They do not require many General Education courses that Regionally Accredited Colleges/Universities require, but then again those schools are cheaper and actually mean something. The third group of people they target are those who have not done the research to see this school is not what it is claiming to be.
A few examples:
Many elderly on a fix income that want to keep thier mind sharp but never have the intention of re-entering the work force. - They will try to talk them into taking on huge debt.
A convicted felon that can not possibly work in the medical field because of drug convictions. - They will sign them up for a Medical program.
A person that wants to get thier AA and then transfer to a State School. - They will put them into a program knowing they will not be able to transfer the credits to the Regionally accredited school. By the time the student finds out he/she is thousands in debt and have wasted their time.
If a rep from VC calls you ask them if they attend VC, if they say no ask why because they offer free classes to thier employees. This is very telling that one would not want a free education from the very place they are telling you is so great that you should spends tens of thousands of dollars on. I'm sure many employees at UofM, WSU, MSU, UK, or many other colleges/universities would jump at the chance for a free education in those institutions.
My parting words to you are very simple. Go to a community college or state school and buy a car. You will have a respected degree and a way to get to work. Going to VC will leave you with a worthless degree and no way to get to the unemployment office to find work. Out of the two options the first one is cheaper.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/11/2012 10:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Virginia-College/Birmingham-Alabama-/Virginia-College-VC-Online-Beware-Military-and-other-potential-Students-Birmingham-Alabam-881376. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.