Complaint Review: Virginia College

• Updated: Fri, February 25, 2011

• Reported By: Mike — Birmingham Alabama United States of America
Virginia College
Birmingham, Alabama United States of America

Virginia College VC lies, terrible money management, terrible book-keeping, financial aid Birmingham, Alabama

I've attended Virginia College for almost 2 years now. In this time I've continued to pay my bills on time and have no issues with the school until recently. I get a phone call out of the blue from collections stating that i owe $12,000. I laugh and express that there must have been a mistake.
I go to the school and speak to financial planning dept. They only give me a list of handwritten dates in which they supposedly sent letters to me (few of which I ever got) and a print out of my account activity. They also stated that after an account is sent to collections they can't bring it back to handle "in house." I argue that there has to be someone who can help me and they said that I couldn't do anything until i had made my first payment to collections.
After conversations with family I decide to go through all of my correspondence that I had received and match up the numbers to my account activity sheet. NONE of the dates matched and NONE of the "owed" amounts matched up. my account sheet said 1 thing and the letters and or conversations I had with financial aid expressed other amounts.
After building my case I wrote a formal letter to the chief financial officer at the school and spoke to the lawyer. They quickly sided with me when they saw the discrepancies and I ended up getting everything worked out.
But, they are VERY unprofessional and VERY unorganized in financial aid. The school is expensive (more so than the University in which I preciously attended) and they will mix your money up and cheat you out of more than you will realize if you let them. I'm sure they've done this to others... I just caught them. Thanks to the help of the family members that assisted me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/25/2011 01:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Virginia-College/Birmingham-Alabama-/Virginia-College-VC-lies-terrible-money-management-terrible-book-keeping-financial-aid-699916. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Virginia College