abroad

• Updated: Wed, February 06, 2013

• Reported By: Sue K — Vancouver Washington United States of America
Virtual PC Support

Virtual PC Support Scare Tactics Force you to accept SCAM , Internet

A "company" called "Virtual PC Support" calls you and tells you the registration on your computer. They say they are working for Microsoft Technical Support and there has been a major infection of computers running windows. They take you through some screens on your computer that show thousands of infections and a "clock" counting down the seconds until your computer will turn off and be unable to restart. At that point they ask if they can take remote control of your computer to download the new patches needed to eliminate the threat.

By now I've asked them repeatedly how I would know they are legitimate. They've given me their customer service number, my own computer registration number and much more info. At this point, I've been on the phone with them for almost and hour.

With a large "S" for stupid on my forhead, I allow them remorte access and they install microsoft software already on the machine and who knows what else. (Luckily, none of it appears to have damaged anything.)

At this point in the conversation, they tell me that I will no longer need other software like Norton, but I do need technical support to ensure this doesn't happen again. For a mere $399 for 3 years, I'll actually be saving money on software renewals.

You guessed it. I paid with my credit card.... all the time my gut yelling at me to hang up.

As soon as I hung up, I got on line and found https://www.ripoffreport.com/ where several other reports of the same story were posted. I also went to the Microsoft site which says "they will NEVER initiate calls to customers."

I called "Virtual PC" the next morning to say I wanted to cancel and they indicated it wasn't possible. When I told them I'd already cancelled my credit card, they called back at least 6 times. Finally they asked me to go to Safeway, deposit $399 and then they would refund my money. Unbelieveable.

A new credit card, the cost of a computer tech to uninstall the changes made and check for spyware or other ugly stuff, and many, many new passwords, I'm back up and running.... although still feeling really stupid.

We've talked to at least a dozen other people who have received the same call. If you get one, just laugh at them and hang up!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/06/2013 04:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Virtual-PC-Support/internet/Virtual-PC-Support-Scare-Tactics-Force-you-to-accept-SCAM-Internet-1010016. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Virtual PC Support