Complaint Review: Visa - Vanilla Gift cards

• Updated: Thu, December 27, 2012

• Reported By: Tiff — Bronx New York United States of America
Visa - Vanilla Gift cards

Visa - Vanilla Gift cards Rude and not helpful Internet

*Consumer Comment: Vanilla Visa Debit Gift Card is a fraud and ripoff and steals your money

*Consumer Comment: Same thing happened to me

*Consumer Comment: Credit/debit holds.

I ordered a Visa Vanilla gift to make an online purchase. BIG MISTAKE!!!

When the merchant tried to collect the funds my card came back as declined and the funds were placed on "pending transaction". I called Vanilla card and they stated the funds were placed on hold by the merchant, WHAT! I work in customer service and deal with credit card returns and charges, a merchant can not place your funds on hold. The funds either go thru or they don't. Visa played this game with me for 3 weeks and stated they could do nothing about it as it was the merchant that placed funds on hold.

Please Please Please NEVER get a pre-paided card. I know I will def not EVER buy one again!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/26/2012 03:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Visa-Vanilla-Gift-cards/internet/Visa-Vanilla-Gift-cards-Rude-and-not-helpful-Internet-987247. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Visa - Vanilla Gift cards

Vanilla Visa Debit Gift Card is a fraud and ripoff and steals your money

AUTHOR: Catherine Kanter - ()

Vanilla Visa Debit Gift Card is a fraud and ripoff and steals your money

WE ARE TAKING Visa Vanilla Gift Debit Card TO COURT. PLEASE REPLY WITH ANY INFO ABOUT THE DETAILS OF HOW Visa Vanilla Gift Debit Card STOLE MONEY FROM YOU. WE WILL USE IT AS EVIDENCE TO SHOW THAT Visa Vanilla Gift Debit Card HAS A PATTERN OF STEALING CONSUMERS' MONEY.

Visa Vanilla Gift Debit Card stole our money

We put our hard earned money into Visa Vanilla Gift Debit Card. We found there were charges on the card we didn't make. We called customer service. They had endless reasons and intentionally delayed the investigation to try and make us give up. They said it would take at least 60 - 90 days to investigate any charges. Then, after making us submit numerous paperwork and giving us many hoops - such as contacting the merchants - we found that the merchants were willing to provide paperwork and help us. But in the end, it was Vanilla Visa that didn't want to help. The merchants showed us paperwork to prove they never received the money from Vanilla. But Visa Vanilla Gift Debit Card made no effort to prove they didn't just steal our money.

Let me tell you what I believed happened. I believe that Visa Vanilla Gift Debit Card simply makes you pay for a gift card or credit card that they simply keep. They make fake charges to keep your money, then waste hours and days and months of your time talking to people that don't speak English, hang up on you, and have you on hold hours on end.

Visa Vanilla Gift Debit Card is out to steal your money. All the people that made this scam should be put in jail.

You know what? you steal a candy bar you go to jail. Visa Vanilla Gift Debit Card found a way to steal millions of dollars from hard working families. And they are out using money they stole from us to buy themselves very very nice things this holiday.

Same thing happened to me

AUTHOR: C.C - (United States of America)

I couldnt agree more w/ your report. on 12/26/2012 the EXACT same thing happened to me. The only difference was that A Supervisor at VV gift card  told me to call them back when I got my Verizon on the phone so that Verizon can verbally tell them the payment wasnt made. Impossible. How is it possible to call both companies on 3 way, do the prompts, and wait for them to get on the phone at the same time. The wait time is different. Not to mention the rude customer services that they provide. I had to deal with them for 5 hrs straight. Not to mention that I checked the card balance and the amt was indeed paid to my cellphone company. What a waste of my freaking day.

Credit/debit holds.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

" I work in customer service and deal with credit card returns and charges, a merchant can not place your funds on hold.  "

I don't know about the details of your complaint, but your assertion that merchants cannot place funds on hold is way off the mark.   As a matter of fact, merchants can and do place holds which show up as "pending" amounts until the transaction actually posts to the account.  Posting can take 3 to 5 days, depending on how often the merchant uploads transactions to their processor,  and how many intermediate clearinghouses are involved.

Holds are especially ugly on prepaid an regular debit cards, as they tie up actual money as opposed to credit cards, which only tie up available credit.  Many merchants only place holds when debit cards are used.

Neither the consumer, nor the credit card company has any control over whether or not a merchant issues a hold.   Some chose to do so and some do not, but it is the merchant's choice.  They do it (especially on debit cards) to ensure that the funds will still be in the account when the transaction posts in 3-5 days.   Without a hold, there is no guarantee that will be the case and the merchant could lose money.

If a merchant does place a hold and it is not followed up with the posting of a valid matching transaction, the hold will expire in 3 to 5 business days (depending on the issuing bank), and the funds held will again be available to the cardholder.

Westminster