Complaint Review: Vivint

• Updated: Mon, January 11, 2016

• Reported By: kellie — kennewick Washington United States of America
Vivint
4931 n 300w Provo, Utah United States of America

Vivint  Shady sales people sneaking unbreakable auto-renewing contracts into your home Provo Utah

*Consumer Suggestion: It would appear you STILL haven't read your Vivint contract...

In September of 2009 a young college student came to my door selling home security systems. He had heard from my neighbors that I had just had a baby. I allowed him in and he proceded to sell me a service based on my insecurities about being frequently home alone with an infant.

The points he failed to touch on were the boxes he checked that I unknowingly signed that legally bound me into 3 year contract that auto-renewed yearly if you did not cancel within a small window of time.

I had called after 2 years to cancel and that is when I found out my contract period was 36 months not the 2 years that the young college student said out loud.

Around the 3 year mark I called again to cancel and they told me I had to mail/fax in a written request and then call in order to cancel but was not able to do this till august. (at no point did they mention if I did not fax and call within the month of august my contranct would auto-renew)

So life got busy and I did not fax in my request until the first of this year. I called a week later to make sure they got my written request and were in the process of canceling my account. It was then that they told me my account had auto-renewed and I would not be able to cancel until september (9 months away) unless I conned someone into taking over the rest of my contract! Or I could just pay them off and they would allow me to cancel that day.

This company is a huge con and preys on individuals in vunurable states they fail to give you information when you need it and continue to take your money as if it is there right.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/25/2013 01:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Vivint-/Provo-Utah-84604/Vivintnbsp-Shady-sales-people-sneaking-unbreakable-auto-renewing-contracts-into-your-hom-1003361. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Vivint

#1 Consumer Suggestion

It would appear you STILL haven't read your Vivint contract...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

On the front page, about one - third of the way down and in ALL CAPS and BOLDFACE is paragrah 2.4...

TERM FOR SERVICES, THE ORIGINAL TERM OF THIS AGREEMENT STARTS ON THE DAY THIS AGREEMENT IS SIGNED AND CONTINUES FOR THIRTY-SIX (36) MONTHS, AND WILL AUTOMATICALLY CONTINUE FROM YEAR TO YEAR THEREAFTER UNLESS CANCELLED BY EITHER OF US IN WRITING NO LATER THAN THIRTY (30) DAY BEFORE THE END OF THE ORIGINAL TERM OR ANY RENEWAL TERM.

This is EXACTLY as it's written on the agreement...kinda hard to miss.

If you haven't thrown your agreement away, it would be an appropriate time to actually read it.

This sort of thing happens when ANY contract is signed before even reading it.

No, I don't work for Vivint, but have had their service for over two years and find it very satisfactory.

I DID read my contract by having the salesman leave a copy here to read first and then come back.

The only Ripoff here is from you by failing to read what you agreed to when you signed up for the service.

You failed all the way to follow the terms of the agreement and it's costing you for another year.