ethics

Complaint Review: Vivint | Ripoff Report Verified Safe

• Submitted: Wed, May 16, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, June 29, 2012

• Reported By: Be AWARE in Baltimore!!! — Baltimore Maryland United States of America
Vivint | Ripoff Report Verified Safe
4931 North 300 West Provo, Utah United States of America

Vivint REVIEW: Vivint commitment to customer satisfaction proves they care about their customers. Vivint's past and current approach to business is about protecting families and providing the best customer experience from beginning to the end of the customer's time with the company. Provo Utah
*UPDATE: Vivint pledges their commitment to Ripoff Report Corporate Advocacy, Business Remediation and Customer Satisfaction Program. A program that benefits the consumer, assures them of complete satisfaction and confidence when doing business with a member business. Vivint recognized by Ripoff Report Verified as a Safe business service.

*UPDATE Employee: Vivint Employee

*Consumer Comment: ADT

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Cameron Carlson

*Author of original report: BALTIMORE, MD SAY NO TO VIVIANT ALARM SCAM!!!!!

Ripoff Report Verified REVIEW:

EDitors UPDATE: Positive rating and recognition has been given to Vivint for its commitment to excellence in customer service.

Ripoff Reports discussions with the company have uncovered an ongoing commitment to total customer satisfaction. You can expect to have any questions or concerns that you have with them to be answered and resolved in a timely manner, if any. They have shown us their customer service process, and it reflects a desire to serve customers, as well as fix problems.

The company's management specifically told us about how their job is to simplify lives and help people to live intelligently. The management really wants every person who buys a system to feel valued. The concern for each customer's experience starts at the top, and is reflected in the action of every employee they hire.
Vivint is Ripoff Report Verified
Ripoff Report Verified .. part of Ripoff Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program.A program that benefits the consumer, assures them of complete satisfaction and confidence when doing business with a member business..

The information provided in this report is based on comments made by Ian Bell and Tim Izatt during an on-site inspection held by a third party verification company and with Ripoff Report with no biases toward Vivint.

Vivint is a full service residential home security company covering the US and Canada. Their sales process will start in a few different ways depending on where the initial lead comes from. When it comes to inside sales, the process starts when the company searches a region that might be interested in their services. The company sends their sales representatives to those regions to knock on doors to discover prospective clients. The company then has local technicians service the client if they are interested in doing business with them. Vivint also offers their clients customer support during this process and can even have a representative meet with them in person to answer questions and make sure that their clients are receiving the full benefit of their services.

Follow up is something that Vivint focuses on to ensure their clients are receiving proper customer service. When concerns arise depending on the level of severity, the company states that they standardly respond within 24 - 48 hours. Some issues do arise that take longer to settle and the company works to solve them within 72 hours. Vivints process for monitoring issues that arise on social media sites it to settle the concern within 20 minutes of it being posted.

The company also works to monitor their sales and customer support calls to see how they can be improved. They use these calls as examples for employees in training. Currently, Vivint is working to make changes to their contracts to make things easier for their customers as they have found that many of their complaints stem from feeling misled or customers paid fees they did not feel they authorized.

Vivint has found that the number one reason complaints do arise is because of the way the sales process is conducted. A sales representative knocks on the prospective clients door. The representatives are clean-cut, upright young men with hats, who are salesmen, and discuss why someone may need this product. Ian Bell from Vivint states that, We train our employees not to lie; we dont want to lie to the customers. Also, on top of the training we also have our phone calls to the customers to remedy concerns. However, there is pressure with a door to door to sales. Some people dont like the fact that someone knocked on their door, which I understand. People will be eating dinner and then someone will knock on the door, it can be annoying. We are aware that it isnt always comfortable. There always are complaints when you do door to door sales.

Statements from the owner.

"We are committed to making homes safe for families. With advanced early detection systems, many home fires are preventable and can be stopped in the beginning stages, saving lives. We have a plan for every family and every budget, and whether you choose our most basic or expanded services, you can be sure of our top quality technology and expert customer support.

This sales process continues because of the amount of people the company has discovered who respond positively. The fact that it is working the company feels they should keep the same processes. Vivint feels they minimize the number of misunderstandings that people have through their contracts. The company provides the phone calls to discuss contract length, price, renewal terms, cancellation window, and the warranty to provide clarification of terms. The client goes through an automated process to make sure that they know all that they are agreeing to and the people say, Yes to all the terms. If the client says No or that they werent aware of something, then they are brought back to the phone salesman who helps to clear up the terms. When it comes to clarity, the company feels they rarely have issues where a person doesnt know what they are agreeing to. They state that they go over all the contract terms with them and give a hard copy of the contract to them.

The company feels that the contract terms for the auto renewal after a year causes many complaints. If the client does not do their cancellation after the 30 days prior their instillation it can auto renew, which is in the contract. The company is in the process of modifying terms so that the transition is better. The contract has been their biggest detractor from their National Promoter Scores (NPS), but they have found that their other scores we are astronomically high. In that situation with the terms in dealing with clients, the company states they will do everything they can to help them but they are still working to remedy the problem, as they are committed to total customer satisfaction always making improvements to their products and services.

THE COMPANY MAY COMPENSATE AND GIVE DISCOUNT.. . Sometimes customers call with various complaints and the company states that they do their best we can to resolve them. The company has found they are able to fix 92.13% of problems over the phone. If they cant solve the issue over the phone, they send a technician to fix the problem. Depending on where they are in the lifecycle of their services the company may compensate them or give them a discount. If the issue is in the first 90 days then all the services are free. One example is that whenever Vivint receive a complaint from NPS they call the customer. Then, they work to try to resolve the complaints that the customer may have with the company and the company feels that sets them apart from others in their industry.

The company states that the biggest changes are going to come internally because of feedback they get from the customers in general. They state that whenever they hear of any problem they follow up and do what they can to help the customer. Then, they assess over time the different problems that have been raised and then implement measures to help them not to arise again. Ripoff Report has been helpful in helping them to know some of the problems because they feel it is hard to know how to help that person, but they do their best to find ways to help every customer who may have a complaint.

GOING BEYOND THE CALL OF GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. An extreme example of their customer service is when there was a lady who had an alarm system in her home. She was signed up for a 60-month contract. When she was half way through her contract, she killed herself and her son. A family member was still getting the bills and called in two months later asking about them. When the company found out their situation they cancelled her account, which they feel was the right thing to do. Tim Izatt from Vivianr stated, We went above and beyond to help them. We sent flowers to the funeral and we compensated them financially.

Another example of their customer service would be with a client who was really struggling financially. She had gone to relatives and church not feeling comfortable to ask for money and didnt know what to do. The company paid for one month of her payments so that she could have light in her house for her kids. Furthermore, Mr. Izatt stated, That isnt always the case. We do what we can to stick to the contract and make sure that people understand the terms. They have an automated system that helps people to understand the contract. We try not to be jerks and help people wherever we can.

A common thing that the company has happen is when clients are outside of the 90 day free window. They call and say that there is a problem for something that normally happens within the first 90 days. If that happens, they let their reps make a decision about what to do. The company states that they would rather have their reps over take care of people and come back and get slapped on their hands then to not take care of the customer. Furthermore, the company has had a lot of auditing to make sure people arent abusing the system.

Tim Izatt states, That is why I like to work here. We take care of people outside of self. I know you havent been here but if you had you would find that we like to take care of others and protect people. It is called servant leadership. To say you are a servant leader is to take away from it. But, we try to serve others more than self. That is why I work here. I came from eBay and really enjoy working here.

Vivint feels that they are taking steps to doing whatever it takes to make the client happy by taking every reasonable means to fix problems. Sometimes they come across an unreasonable person and cannot accommodate them. However, Ian Bell states, We want to fix whatever problem there is, especially if it is our fault. Whether it is credit, cancellation, or things like that. We encourage our employees to be compassionate and aware. We tell them that we want to be personable. I interact with people who are online. One thing I always tell them is that we want to be real. We want to sound like a real person. We dont want to be robots. That is our number one thing, to be real and compassionate.

The company has used Ripoff Report as a tool to solve customer service related problems. They are willing to make appropriate changes as they go, including expanding their customer service department. The company states they do go on Ripoff Report and review complaints because they feel the customers voice can improve their day to day practices. Many customers dont bother contacting the company and just make complaints, a common problem says, ED Magedson Founder of Ripoff Report.

STATED IMPROVEMENTS FROM THE COMPANY.

We have simplified our customer service process to decrease the amount of time that a customer has to wait before speaking with a representative. Our customer service will look at your contract, listen to recorded phone calls, and make sure to get to the bottom of your issue to resolve things THE RIGHT WAY. At Vivint we want customer's to have a positive experience, and we understand that sometimes customer's fall on hard times. We're willing to work with all of our customers. Their experience and safety are our primary concerns.

Read more about why consumers should feel confident when doing business with a member of Ripoff Report's Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program. Yes, its a long name for a program that does a lot for both consumers and businesses alike.

Read about Ripoff Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program,.. A program that benefits the consumer, assures them of complete satisfaction and confidence when doing business with a member business. this program works.

As a matter of policy, when a business becomes a member of the Corporate Advocacy Program they agree to allow Ripoff Report to contact every client who filed a complaint so they can make things right with them. In order to confirm that the complaints were resolved, Ripoff Report is copied on all responses so we can insure that the member business did right by their customer .. Ripoff Report is proud to state, that Vivint not only took care of their customers that contacted Ripoff Report back but, they went beyond the call of good customer service with comments. Many customers had already been taken care of. Customers even expressed to Ripoff Report they were sorry they even filed a Ripoff Report about them.

Check out their Solar testimonials (Vivint solar offering):

http://youtu.be/XX-tVOYJ9i8 http://youtu.be/Br85-AYpTAo http://youtu.be/XX-tVOYJ9i8

Check out Vivints Security/ home automation offering: .

http://youtu.be/dBRFRAdhOg8 http://youtu.be/lWthjOdAsss http://youtu.be/loc6LCFRJ3Y http://youtu.be/OHu-eLC4ovU

More at http://www.youtube.com/vivinthome

NOW TO THE ORIGINAL REPORT THAT WAS FILED

------------------------------------- Vivint.  Vivint Security 4931 North 300 West  BEWARE: WATCH OUT FOR YOURSELF & THE ELDERLY!!! Provo, Utah

Please be aware! In the Federal Hill area of South Baltimore a young man identified himself as Rep: Cameron Carlson to my husband yesturday and asked if we had ADT. He was according to my husband pitching his company while slamming ADT. My husband told him he would speak w/ me & get back to him. He later asked me if I had ever heard of the 2nd largest security system in the country? I told him it sounded fishy but when I got a chance I will research & let him know if we would switch as we have an outdated alarm but still decent & fully functional w/ ADT already. Today I got a knock on my door around 2pm which I opened the 2nd floor window to answer as we do live in the city & I do not as a rule allow any strangers into nor will I open a door for anyone simply because they have I.D. My husband has been a Police Officer since 1984. This can be a very violent City & I am not a volunteer victim. He told me that "he would upgrade my entire existing system *free of charge & I would pay only around $49.50/month for monitoring. I explained that my husband was not home but gave his cell and asked him to call him around 6pm on his cell. I then looked at the "Contract" he had collected my husband's full name, address & phone number AND he had already written a contract stating the following - GO! Control & Siren 1@ $699.00 subtotal $699.00, but no charge to us, 6 door/window @ $60.00/each but again no charge, "hand written Glass Break 1 @$200.00; subtotal 1@$200 & no charge for total price, as well as 1 warranty hand written again for a price & subtotal of $200 but zero total price to us. Also throw in a $198 Installation Charge, $198 subtotal & o total price. So, the total price before any monthly monitoring was $1657.00, the subtotal was $1657.00. Yet the proce is somehow zero. Per my conversation w/ him totay EVERYTHING WAS FREE BUT MONITORING... FOR A LOCKED IN, IRON CLAD & 42 MONTHS!!! NO WAY. I don't even know them nor have I ever heard of them yet I was actually going to be bullied into this? NOTHING felt right. Why a contract w/ just a conversation? Why the 4 trips in only 2 days yet no calls (althow he told my husband he was Morman & perhaps they have rules about cell phones I am not aware of?) Had this been handed to an elderly person to sighn they probably would and I have a very hard time as being in sales for 15 years myself with ANY company that slams their competitor, announces they are the 2nd largest Co in the US & goes door to door soo aggressively. He told me another story today. Absolutely zero charge for all of the above & we only pay for instullation as our alarm is "so out of date". Instead of calling my husband's cellphone at 6pm he stopped by & we didn't answer the door he returned again at 8pm and again we didn't answer the door. BEWARE of ANY COMPANY THAT LOCKS YOU INTO A 42 MONTH CONTRACT! Sells by slamming a compeditor, or changes any part of any oral or written agreement on 2nd visit. The choice is yours. I DECLINE! Too Pushy & this young man talks fast & could easily get a signature from an elderly or not well educated person just by talking about things that are simply not true. Or degrade your current equiptment as opposed to telling me why theirs can help fulfill my needs better. I have a terrible feeling that there will be many homes w/ new alarm systems they My husband asked him if he worked for ADT & he hesitated bit then said no. Positive experiences equal positive companies that do not slam or claim to be an affilliate of the competition. 4 trips to my home in 2 days is DESPIRATE. Thankfully we are not. BEWARE!!! I am quite certain he will be back again tomorrow.... Don't Sighn anything ever unless your comfortable & take the time to actually read it or have it explained to you. This is a contract, not "just some notes". Be aware Baltimore!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/16/2012 07:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Vivint-Ripoff-Report-Verified-Safe/Provo-Utah-84604/Vivint-REVIEW-Vivint-commitment-to-customer-satisfaction-proves-they-care-about-their-cus-883849. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Vivint | Ripoff Report Verified Safe

Vivint Employee

AUTHOR: Keaton - (United States of America)

As an employee of the customer service department at vivint, I can't exactly clarify all of the 'shady' dealings of the sales associate in question, i can attest to two things, however;

1. Our wireless Go! panels are not disabled by being broken or smashed upon an actual break in. I'm not surprised that the ADT employee who posted before me would think that, and i do not wish to cause any confrontation for misrepresenting our product, but i would just like to clarify, because obviously the safety and security of your home and family is vivint's top priority. So it should be known that upon any attempt to smash or tamper with the system internally a dispatch signal is AUTOMATICALLY sent immediately.

2. It is my individual opinion that Vivint customer service is the best in the business. The trainers and supervisors are all extremely proactive and skilled, and all of the customer service reps are knowledgeable and professional. If you are having trouble with a system or with a sales professional, give us a call and we are more than happy to sort out any kind of issues that you are having.

ADT

AUTHOR: AliCent - (United States of America)

To the author: If you want an equipment upgrade call corporate up and ask for an upgrade, if you want it for free just resign for another 3 year term (still less than the 42 month with vivint, and you'll still pay less a month in monitoring)... If you're concerned about someone cutting or tampering with the home phone line (which isn't exactly a common scenario, I'm sure your husband can attest to that) then add a $9 a month cellguard which is a tamper-proof phone line for the alarm.

I completely agree that it's sleazy to badmouth another company to try to get business... I work for ADT so I obviously am biased, but I think it's safe to say that we are the best security company in the US (and I'm sure you feel the same way Mrs. Author since you have been a loyal customer for years). It's not just Vivint door-knockers that are like that though, it's all alarm companies that door knock, they all say the craziest stuff to get in the door. My supervisor won't higher anyone who comes from door knocking because he says you can't trust them and that they're worse than car salesmen.

@Cameron: Your system is what's called a "self-contained unit" which is a control panel (brain of the system) and keypad in one, if someone were to break in and smash the keypad, rip it off the wall, etc the entire system will go down. That's why I try to stay away from selling our pulse system.I'm sorry that your name came up on here because I'm sure you had no ill intentions, and even though I've never had to do door knocking I can only assume how hard that must be (I'd never want to do it). I actually commend you for being honest when asked if you worked for ADT because I've had several customers over the past few weeks that were told by a vivint rep that they bought ADT and if they wanted to continue monitoring they have to sign the paperwork with them to "add them to the monitoring stations" so I thank you for being honest.

#3 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Cameron Carlson

AUTHOR: cameronc801 - (United States of America)

My name is Cameron Carlson and I am the individual who is mentioned in the above report. The first concern mentioned is that I was slamming their current provider ADT. The only concern with their current ADT system is that it is connected through the phone line, with that being the case a criminal could cut the phone line and the system would not be able to call the monitoring station or the police.
The next concern was that she would not have to pay for any of the new equipment including the GO control panel. This equipment is the new wireless cellular model in addition to the panel I was also able to include several new window sensors for the house. The equipment is normally expensive but as you mentioned the total was zero dollars. The installation cost for the system is normally 198.00 but we are also able to waive that fee if the customer can be flexible with the installation time. This was all explained to the husband during my initial visit. The only cost that they would have to pay to get this system is the 49.99 monitoring fee. nothing else. The monitoring contract has an initial term of 42 months this was circled on the contract. Every alarm has an initial contract period that ranges from 2-5 years. its similar to a cell phone or cable in that regard.
After I spoke with the wife the next day around 2 in the afternoon. she told me everything sounded good and I should Call her husband to finish up the paper work later in the evening. I still needed to have them sign the contract and collect the paperwork before it could be installed. I was currently in the process of attempting to contact several of their neighbors so After several failed attempts to reach the husband on his cell phone and several messages. I knocked on their door a few times as I passed by. This was the last day I was going to be in that neighborhood and I did not want to leave you hanging.
the only change that occurred to the deal I was offering on my second visit was that i offered to cover the cost of additional sensors if they needed them.
Because I was unable to get a hold of them I instead gave to system to a neighbor down the street. He is a really nice guy who works as an IT guy for BGE. not an elderly person. He lives only a few houses west of you on the same street. If you give me a call I can tell you exactly who he is and I'm sure he wouldn't mind meeting you seeing as your neighbors and all.

anyways to the author of this complaint, Ill admit I'm a little bit offended by your post, but I understand that you weren't there during the initial meeting I had with your husband so I'm sure some of it was pretty confusing hearing it all second hand. If you have any other concerns post them here and I'll get back to you. or you can give me a call if you still have my number.

BALTIMORE, MD SAY NO TO VIVIANT ALARM SCAM!!!!!

AUTHOR: Not Happy in Baltimore - (USA)

This is a 42 month locked in system that is yours & after you die you still pay! Now going door to door in South Baltimore. Slam your door on Cameron & his crew! Don't be their next victim!!!!!!!!!!!!