Complaint Review: Vonage Internet Phone Service

• Updated: Mon, July 27, 2009

• Reported By:Ravenna Ohio
Vonage Internet Phone Service
www.vonage.com Internet U.S.A.

Vonage Internet Phone Service Scammed me, customer service is a run-around Internet

*Consumer Comment: Depends

*Author of original report: Went through my first bill, and I paid for the adapter!!

*Consumer Comment: I agree

*Author of original report: Good Business Relationship

*Consumer Comment: the rest of the money

I signed up for Vonage in late November 2008 after my cell-phone contract expired to avoid a costly cell phone plan. Everything was fine during the free trial period. Then the vonage adapter worked only intermittingly (Error code: 002), and soon it didn't work at all, which means that I don't have any internet. I had to unplug the adapter to access the internet (I have on-line classes and it was finals week) which means that I don't have a phone that I'm paying for.

I tried emailing them, as their customer service is through the internet, so a lot of unplugging and plugging back in. Their "help" section on their website didn't help. They had me try a few things, and it seemed to work at first, but later resorted to its non-working mode. I tried calling customer service, but didn't get far, as the techniques they had me try were the same as the ones from the emails. They have no way to come to your house and provide service, and not once did they offer to send me a new adapter, or have the old one get serviced, which leads me to believe that the problem lies within the service, not the equipment. (My adapter was brand-new anyways.)

After trying for 3 weeks, I bought a cell-phone plan and had my number ported over. About a week later, Vonage sent me an email stating that my account was canceled and that I'd be charged a $39.99 termination fee (I was never aware of a termination fee or that I was under any contract) plus any other applicable fees. The email also stated that they have the authority to debit my bank account for the next 30 days. A few minutes later, I received an email from my bank declaring that Vonage had debited out $96.05. The charge was never itemized. Who knows what the remaining $56.06 is for.

-They require a $29.99 activation charge
-They require a $39.99 cancellation fee
-They automatically withdrawl your payment every month- there is no other way to pay
-Their service only works intermittingly
-They can charge whatever they want and not itemize the bill
-Their customer service is not helpful. It's outsourced.

I learned the hard way. The rest of you should learn vicariously. If it sounds too good to be true.... it really is.

Maryann
Ravenna, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/23/2009 10:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Vonage-Internet-Phone-Service/internet/Vonage-Internet-Phone-Service-Scammed-me-customer-service-is-a-run-around-Internet-454835. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Vonage Internet Phone Service

Depends

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

How much did they charge you for the adapter on the first bill?

Example: Adapter = 100$
1st bill = 40$ for adapter due to a 60$ "instant rebate"

Cancel before contract period is up, you pay the rest of the adapter.

Depending on the cost on the first bill, it was more than likely the price you paid AFTER rebate, the price you paid later as to pay back that rebate.

Went through my first bill, and I paid for the adapter!!

AUTHOR: Maryann - (U.S.A.)

While cleaning out my inbox, I found the receipt to my first bill. I paid for the adapter, and I did not order any other equipment, so what again was the rest of the money they stole from my checking account for???!!!

I agree

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

an itemized bill would be a nice thing to do. It does state on their website that these devices are non-returnable tho :/

Good Business Relationship

AUTHOR: Maryann - (U.S.A.)

Standard business practices dictate that a company should itemize any bill involving multiple charges. Besides, I would be willing to send my adapter back, however, with their known track record, I doubt I will be compensated for it.

-Maryann

the rest of the money

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

would be to recoup any costs from the device they sent you. if you terminate withing the contract period they will charge you for the equipment.

Its all on their website.