Complaint Review: Vonage

• Submitted: Sun, June 21, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, December 09, 2011

• Reported By:cottondale Alabama
Vonage
www.vonage.com Homedale, New York U.S.A.

Vonage huge ripoff Homedale New York

*Author of original report: Vonage Settlement

*Consumer Comment: Investigate away

*Consumer Suggestion: Question

*Author of original report: Yes I consider it fraud

*Consumer Comment: Fraud?

I ordered Vonage. It had the wors qaulity prodict that I ever heard. You cant understand but every other word. I paid for 2 years up front. So when I canceled. I expected to get a refund, but no!!! They nailed me for an additional 99 dollars.

These guys are rip off, their prodcut does not work well. You had best have a t3 line running into your house, if you want to have a good conversation.

I wish there was a class action law suit against these folks for fraud, as that is what it is.

Eric
cottondale, Alabama

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/21/2009 08:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Vonage/Homedale-New-York/Vonage-huge-ripoff-Homedale-New-York-463520. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Vonage

Vonage Settlement

AUTHOR: Eric - (U.S.A.)

Well I jut got a 40 dollar check in from vonage from the class action law suite.  Feals good they had to play all the folks back they ripped off.

Investigate away

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

Feel free to investigate me. I am a chemist working for a dehydrated food company in southwest missouri and am in no way getting any compensation from Vonage.

You should have done your homework on VOIP first to see what you were getting yourself into.

My spouse worked for Sunrocket, which is a VOIP provider that is no longer in business, that is where I draw my information on how it works.

Also, the FCC will not do anything. Vonage is not a telecommunications company, so those regulations do not apply. They are subject to regulation as an internet service.

Also (from their terms of service):
"11.2 No Warranties on Service.
We make no warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to, any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness of the service or device for a particular purpose, title or non-infringement or any warranty arising by usage of trade, course of dealing or course of performance. In addition, we do not warrant that the service or device will be without failure, delay, interruption, error, omission, degradation of voice quality, or loss of content, data, or information. Neither Vonage nor its officers, directors, employees, affiliates or agents, or any other service provider or vendor who furnishes services, devices, or products to the customer for our service will be liable for unauthorized access to our or your transmission facilities or premises or equipment or for unauthorized access to, or alteration, theft, or destruction of, customer's data files, programs, procedures, or information through accident, fraudulent means, devices, or any other method, regardless of whether such damage occurs as a result of Vonage's or its service provider's or vendors' negligence. Statements and descriptions concerning our service or device, if any, by Vonage or Vonage's agents or installers are informational and are not given as a warranty of any kind. "

Note the part: We do not warrant that the service or device will be without failure, delay, interruption, error, omission... etc

I wish you luck in your lawsuit, but all they have to provide is that document. Since i"m assuming this will be a small claims court case, you will have a diffcult time with it.

People reading this: Please, don't get vonage or any other VOIP. They are all ripoffs. Find a better way to communicate. If you get one, do your homework on the companies and find out what you are getting yourself in to.

I do agree they need to give you your prepayment back, but I am also curious why would you sign up for a service from a company, give them 2 years of payments, before even trying out their service to see if its what you wanted?

It just sounds odd to me.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Question

AUTHOR: KIM - (U.S.A.)

How do we know that you do not work for ATT?

Yes I consider it fraud

AUTHOR: Eric - (U.S.A.)

I have contacted my FCC and filed a report with them as well as filed a report Alabama State's Attourney Genral. I plan to file a law suit as well.

Yes I consider it fraud. Vonage make the promise that you will have clear phone calls just like your phone service, all you need to have is broadband internet. I have to say the service was terible. Customer support was just as bad, as they tried to blame my cable company, and I have a 10 meg connection. They also tried to blame my cable modem, and the router I have. Never once did they try to fix it, always tried to blame the other guy. So after several phone calls without getting any help and I decided I had enough it was time to cancel. I should have a right to cancel my service.

What frosted me was that I called them on the phone via and advertisment on tv, I never saw a contract. I never signed a contract. All of this was done over the telephone. I was never told that there were rebates. However when I called to cancel, I was told there is no refund on the cash I paid upfront, and there were cancelation fees. I don't mind the canceltion fees, It was the money that I paid for 2 years of service up front that I don't get back, and that is fraud to keep money paid for service not rendered.

I am just trying to make folks aware that if you deal with Vonage, and you want to cancel your service your going to get taken to the cleaners.

Now that I say that Ashley I have to ask how much is Vonage paying you to post these replies on all the Vonage complaints. I would like Ripoff report to investigate you as you don't say you work for the company but your actions sure do look like it.

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

Fraud would imply they they did not tell you about their service up front. They do state in their terms of service that things like, your broadband connection, is out of their control.

If you did not get a refund, then you were outside their refund period. They off a 30-day money back guarantee, so you must have been using the service long than 30 days. Did you not notice it being crappy in 30 days?

as for the disconnect fee, you sign up for a one year contract with them. If you break that earlier you owe them a disconnect fee plus all the money they gave you on the rebate for your unit back.