Complaint Review: Vonage

• Updated: Mon, August 18, 2008

• Reported By:wharton Ohio
Vonage
www.vonage.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Vonage This company is very deceptive and when the phone did not work they would not cancel Bolingbrook, Illinois Internet

*Consumer Comment: Try checking internet ISp and bandwith before getting new service

I thought Vonage would be a great deal So i signed up but the system would not work with my internet connection so I tried to cancel but they talk in a weird language very hard to understand. I called five times and they said they had to call me back so waited and when they called I explained that I had already spent 200 dollars with to techs trying to get it to work and it would not work but they till would not cancel. Then I see they billed my credit card for service I never got and I had to turn them in for charging my credit card. But to stop them I had to cancel my card. I thought this was the USA but these guys are a ripoff from the word go! In all I spent 265.00 for nothing.
Do not get involved with Vonage!

Bill
wharton, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/22/2008 11:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Vonage/nationwide/Vonage-This-company-is-very-deceptive-and-when-the-phone-did-not-work-they-would-not-cance-302532. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Vonage

Try checking internet ISp and bandwith before getting new service

AUTHOR: Nate - (U.S.A.)

I don't work for Vonage, but I am a customer of over 2 years. I even signed my mother up for the service. When i read this report I felt I had to comment. I have worked in customer service for the top companies for telephone, internet, credit cards, cable and I still amazed that people still sign up for things without reading the terms and conditions.

First of all, do your own checking of the Isp and bandwith of your internet. It's not their responsiblity. Second, don't take another person's word that something will work, they are not at your home, to know that it will work with your service provider. Talk to your service provider before contacting any VOIP service. Also, avoid if u can, leasing any equipment for the company. There are plenty of stores selling the boxes needed for the service and the phones (if u chose to have them). It's yours to keep.

I am not saying all customer service reps are trustworthy, heck i have seen some shady things, but their are still good people who do try and help, but can not help you if u didn't do ur homework, relied on the trust of a person u never met and didn't do the homework relating to the fees and service terms and contacting the internet provider to see if u had enough speed to run the service. I myself have felt disappointed in a company, but when sitting back and taking a breather, you do see that they are human, things happen, how do we fix it, yelling and screaming just gets u nowhere and yes CSR's do make note of ur behavior in your account notes..

Basically, I feel for this person, that he had to go through a bad situation, but not sorry he didn't check with his isp beforehand and that Vonage is being blamed for his misunderstandings. Now if u do get a person who u don't understand, hang up u eventually will. (Yes it is annoying, but that's life). I hope in the future people will read the fine print, contact their ISP and buy equipment, not lease and always, always remember.. when it sounds to good to be true it probably is, make sure to ask all the questions u may have, look at what u was paying before and the fees for canceling this service..

P.s
Take care and hope the best in the future