Complaint Review: WAL-MART

• Submitted: Fri, April 21, 2006
  • Updated: Thu, May 17, 2012

• Reported By:WAUWATOSA Wisconsin
WAL-MART
1515 WEST PARADISE DR. WEST BEND, Wisconsin U.S.A.

WAL-MART CHEAP OIL CHANGE TURNED INTO A $5000. DISASTER ripoff WEST BEND Wisconsin

*Consumer Comment: So?

*Consumer Comment: Speaking of idiots...

*Consumer Comment: That's what you get when you are so cheap

*Consumer Comment: It does indeed happen...

*Consumer Comment: I really doubt it

On 9/24/05 I took my 1990 Toyota Camry for an oil change. As a single woman with a low income I try to save money on everything. About 1 week later on my way to work (which was a 40 minute commute on the highway) I saw smoke and shortly after the car lost acceleration and died. Fortunately, I had enough momentum
and was close enough to an exit to roll off the highway to safer place.

It was later determined that the oil plug had fallen off.
The mechanic pronounced the engine totalled. I immediately called Wal-Mart and they turned a claim into their insurance company. After about 3 weeks they finally decided to tell me that they were not going to take any responsibility for this because it happened a week after their service.

Since then, other mechanics have informed me that this was definitely their fault. I tried Channel 6 and all they did was write a letter which got no results. Attorneys were not interested because of the value of my claim was more suited to small claims.

Of course small claims requires time, more dollars and stress, which I just wasn't up for. I can't believe a corporation of this size is handling this type of incident so shabbily, as evidence by the number of complaints on this web site.

Linda
WAUWATOSA, Wisconsin

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/21/2006 04:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/WAL-MART/WEST-BEND-Wisconsin-53095/WAL-MART-CHEAP-OIL-CHANGE-TURNED-INTO-A-5000-DISASTER-ripoff-WEST-BEND-Wisconsin-187932. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on WAL-MART

So?

AUTHOR: That''s what you get for being so ch - (United States of America)

So?

Speaking of idiots...

AUTHOR: Robert - (USA)

You do realize that you posted a rebuttal to a report that has been idle for OVER 5 YEARS!

Who is the idiot here?

LMAO!

That's what you get when you are so cheap

AUTHOR: That''s what you get for being so ch - (United States of America)

It serves you right for being so cheap. Places like that only give idiots like you the illusion that you are saving money and they employ complete half wits to service your car and look at the result. I love it. The say "you get what you pay for" There's nothing better than some idiot that gets his car worked on at these places and they totally "botch" the job.

Not only that but backyard mechanics are another laugh. Tear your car all apart then split. I'd like to say I've seen  it all but then there's always another one.

And yes, everyone's a complainer trying to get something for free. Usually some Middle Easterner.

Best thing to do is to find a local mechanic who you know and trust, maintain your car, fix what is broken and never get it worked on by idiots. That or ride the bus...

It does indeed happen...

AUTHOR: Ken - (U.S.A.)

I had an oil change on one occassion (this one not at Wal-Mart), and the oil plug was left loose. Fortunately, I check my oil about every other day, depending upon how much I am driving, and on this day I found my oil to be a full quart low after just 200 miles. Next morning, there was a puddle of oil under the car. Loose drain plug.

This said, I will never have my oil changed at Wal-Mart again. My last change was there. They not only overfilled my crankcase by a full quart, but they also left their filter wrench atop my battery.

I returned the wrench. Maybe the excess oil will just leak out.

I really doubt it

AUTHOR: Will - (U.S.A.)

I worked part-time in high school and college at a Wal-mart tire/lube center and people would not believe the amount of crap customers would pull. "The oil drain plug fell out and ruined my engine" I've heard a hundred times,and almost always involved older cars. I remember changing a set of tires and windshield wipers for a lady who came back a week later to blame me for her car stalling!! Wal-mart is HUGE and makes for a easy mark for people to pull a fast one. If I had a dollar for every beater car that pulled in the bay and then later wanted a free tune-up, engine, etc for work previously screwed up I'd be rich!