Complaint Review: WEBCAPADES

• Submitted: Mon, May 19, 2003
  • Updated: Wed, December 13, 2006

• Reported By:los angeles California
WEBCAPADES
36181 East Lake Road #121 Florida, California U.S.A.

WEBCAPADES Trying to sue because I cancelled the account Palm Harbor California

*Consumer Comment: I'm in the same boat

*Consumer Comment: FORMER WEBCAPADES (CHERISH, Inc.) VP FILES SEXUAL HARASSMENT/RETALIATION

*Consumer Comment: Sent to collections...

*Consumer Suggestion: ifcc report should be made for past and present problems

*Consumer Comment: I'm Scared just noticed on my CC bill

*Consumer Comment: I Was Also told 25K in law suit

*Consumer Comment: I can substantiate these accusations.

*Consumer Suggestion: Lance- I live in FL too!

*Consumer Comment: Rightly Accused.. Webcapades is a total sham

I telephoned this place several times and requested that they cancel my subscrition. There was never a person on the telephone only the recording saying that all personnell are busy. I followed the prompts to cancel. I thought it was all over until I saw that my card was still being debited. I called again and still my card was being debited. After several months I called my credi card company and requested that they tell the Company to stop billing me.

They did so and the next thing I received was a letter from the company stating that I accused them of Fraud and they atre going to sue me for $25,000.00 I responded to their letter from Pat Mitchell in the collections depart ment and even tried to contact someone there and got no result except the usual voice recording. Their response was that I will be sued anyway. This is totally ridiculous and I am trying to get enough people that have had the same problem together for a class action suit against them.

Eric
los angeles, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/19/2003 11:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/WEBCAPADES/Florida-California-34685/WEBCAPADES-Trying-to-sue-because-I-cancelled-the-account-Palm-Harbor-California-57524. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on WEBCAPADES

I'm in the same boat

AUTHOR: Matthew - (U.S.A.)

In a nut shell... I followed the proper procedure in canceling my membership through 'Webcapades'. When they charged my account after canceling, I filed a fraudulent charge with my credit card. Now I received the same $25,000 lawsuit threat.

Any advice? What has happened with some of these other cases that I've read about in this report?

FORMER WEBCAPADES (CHERISH, Inc.) VP FILES SEXUAL HARASSMENT/RETALIATION

AUTHOR: News - (U.S.A.)

FORMER WEBCAPADES (CHERISH, Inc.) VP FILES SEXUAL HARASSMENT/RETALIATION
LAWSUIT

(TAMPA, FLORIDA) According to a lawsuit filed with the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida on August 29, 2005
(8:05-cv-1591), Scott Slomcenski, former Vice President of Global Marketing for WebCapades, Inc., alleges he was sexually harassed by the Customer Service Manager, Michelle Pendenza.

The lawsuit also alleges that WebCapades (Cherish, Inc.) CEO, Scott Mitchell and Kristi Mitchell, wife of Scott Mitchell and the Vice President of Service and Commerce, had knowledge of Pendenza's activities but failed to take appropriate action.

Furthermore, the lawsuit alleges that after filing a sexual harassment complaint with WebCapades Vice President of Human Resources and Corporate Controller, Kate Dennison, Slomcenski was repeatedly retaliated against and was ultimately discharged from the company. Additionally, the lawsuit claims Pendenza was promoted to Director of Operations shortly after Slomcenski filed the sexual harassment complaint.

The lawsuit, filed by Slomcenski's attorney, Michael A. Linsky, Esq., of Tampa, Florida, charges multiple counts, including sexual harassment, retaliation, defamation, breach of contract, and tortious interference.

WebCapades (Cherish, Inc.) operates several online properties including
Eroticy.com, OnlinePersonalsGuide.com, MatchClickUSA.com, DateableOrNot.com
and YourDatingCenter.com.

Sent to collections...

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

Just wanted to toss in my two cents here.

I am currently being taken to collections for the same sorts of things you other folks are talking about here.

I joined Eroticy in 10/04, and within 2 weeks had cancelled my account. I sent an email through Eroticy's customer service center. Of course, "mysteriously" the email disappeared. I noticed I was billed again in November even though I (thought) I had cancelled.I then called the 1-877 # to cancel, as well as cancelled through the site, and through an email to the webmaster "Lisa Martin" (a fake contact). "Ms.Martin" suggested to prove my initial cancellation, I should forward them the original email - except that it had been sent THROUGH their system - not from my personal email address.

Surprise surprise - the email I sent was "missing". So I agreed to pay for the 1st month of service, but told them I refused to pay for Novembers since I had tried to cancel (according to their TOS) and it was their system's failure that made my email go missing.

I also disputed the charge with my bank, and was found to be in the right. I was awarded the 2nd months fee back, and I thought that was the end of it.

A couple weeks ago I started getting anonymous calls from a "John Glenn & Associates" about a "case". No further info was disclosed. I left a message on my voicemail instructing companies that left no info to send something in writing. Yesterday I received a collection notice from John Glenn & Associates (which after calling Webcapades - Eroticy's parent company), turns out is the collection agency they use. Well - the notice I received said "2nd attempt to collect". Mind you - until this piece of correspondence, I had NEVER received mail from them. I contacted the collection agency, and told them that they were attempting to collect illegally, and that if they didn't back off and wipe this from my credit report, I'd pursue litigation against them and Webcapades. They claimed that if I provided proof from my bank that the bank had ruled in favor of me - that they'd drop the collection and remove it from my credit report.

I am currently awating the info from my bank so I can forward it to the agency and prove my case once and for all.

To be honest, I have no faith this will work. Both companies are extremely shady. I have also filed a complaint through the Better Business Beaureu, and HIGHLY suggest you ALL do the same!!! BBB has been known to take unethical companies like this to task, and they are "we the consumer"s strongest ally.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

ifcc report should be made for past and present problems

AUTHOR: Pearl - (U.S.A.)

i was also taken in and accused of filinf fraud against eroticy/webcapades.
but they have a severe problem, this time they complained and filed false report against,and demand for payment.

all interested in still filing class action with the ifcc help please leave interest here before further contact.

I'm Scared just noticed on my CC bill

AUTHOR: K - (U.S.A.)

I'm really scared, i have just noticed on my CC bill a charge for 21.95 for a month of sevice for webcapades. What do i do?? If i cancel i will have a lawsuit i cannot afford. Please HELP!!!

I Was Also told 25K in law suit

AUTHOR: Bernie - (U.S.A.)

boy oh boy am i glad that i am not the only one that is total sham is trying to get. But i think that we should actually turn the tables on the place and form a class action lawsuit against him/them to at least get them shut down anyway.

All i did was attempt SEVERAL TIMES to have my subscription cancelled but nooooooooo....they won't have none of that until "after" the next month. finally i called the credit card company and said "don't pay these jokers anymore" next thing ya know here come the law suit

I can substantiate these accusations.

AUTHOR: Scott - (Canada)

Webcapades is trying to shut me up by REPEATED lawsuits to silence what I know.

Anyone interested?

#8 Consumer Suggestion

Lance- I live in FL too!

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Lance,
I am a past member of eroticy and resident of the city of Palm Harbor. If you want to get something together I am an interested party. Please email me at [DELETED] so we can discuss and share information. You offered to be our source, any information you have would be most helpful.
Your Friend,
; 0

Rightly Accused.. Webcapades is a total sham

AUTHOR: Lance - (U.S.A.)

First of all, let me start by saying that this office is not even located in California. I know this because I drive by it every single day. I live in Florida, not California. Palm Harbor, Florida. This is a fact. The office is located in a Republic Bank Building.

Secondly, the "Pat Mitchell" that you speak of in the collections department is a complete lie. The owner of this company is Scott Patrick Mitchell. Funny how a little name switch seems to do the trick, until someone let's the cat out of the bag. He owns this as well as eroticy.com, another highly investigated and scrutinized company here on this site as well as others.

I know that you feel taken advantage of and I would too. Your credit card company should work out the details with you and not hold you liable for a cancelled account that was never cancelled let alone honored as being cancelled from a consumer's standpoint.

If you need information, you found your source.

flash