Complaint Review: WESTERN UNION

• Updated: Sat, May 19, 2012

• Reported By: Karon — Redondo Beach California United States of America
WESTERN UNION

WESTERN UNION CANCELLED TRANSACTION AFTER MADE BUT KEPT OUR MONEY Internet

*Consumer Comment: It seems somehow they can legally do this...

After process was completed by giving me a confirmation number and money was taken from our account they cancelled the transation and still kept our money.

I contacted Western Union via phone to arrange for a payment to Santander Co. in Texas. Went through the entire process, explaining that I would be using my husband's debit card since it was the only account currently open. The agent didn't mention it being an issue and we continued the process. She then transferred me to their "Validation Dept." The man I attempted to work with spoke very little English. But he explained they would have to cancel the transaction because I couldn't use his card.

Fine. I said goodbye and they sent me an email confirming the cancellation. My husband signed onto his bank account to discover they had already TAKEN THE MONEY OUT OF OUR ACCOUNT! Even tho they cancelled the transaction, they still took our money. It's 36 hours later and after many, many calls to both Western Union and our bank, our money has still not be refunded. Western Union has created a process that immediately places customers at a disadvantage. By taking our money BEFORE the transaction was approved, they ACTED FRAUDULENTLY. This was an emergency situation for us. We are struggling financially like millions of others in this country and the money they took was almost everything we have at the moment. And, we have been unable to make our payment to Santander as promised which has opened us up to penalties and loss of valued personal property.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/18/2012 03:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/WESTERN-UNION/internet/WESTERN-UNION-CANCELLED-TRANSACTION-AFTER-MADE-BUT-KEPT-OUR-MONEY-Internet-884797. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on WESTERN UNION

It seems somehow they can legally do this...

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

Not to take away from the seriousness of your situation but I notice institutions somehow get away with this. I recently accidentally submitted a double payment to Paypal. I called them and simply asked it they would kindly return one of the over payments back into my bank account. Nope..they told me all they could do is mail me a check and it will take up to two weeks to arrive. So in other words they have no problem taking my instant electronic payment, but can not do the same to reverse one? I told them never mind and keep the double payment and shove it up their arses.

They then made sure to inform me that I still owe a payment next month as this double payment even if a mistake can not be applied. I already knew that but find it all rather interesting and may require further investigation. The term "fair" seems to be completely lost here.