Complaint Review: WINGATE INN

• Submitted: Fri, September 19, 2003
  • Updated: Tue, March 07, 2006

• Reported By:Birmingham Alabama
WINGATE INN
2520 North Central Avenue Phoenix, Arizona U.S.A.
  • Phone: 602-716-9900
  • Web:
  • Category: Motels

WINGATE INN ripoff Fraudulent Theft Of Bicycle worth over $500.00 Phoenix Arizona

*Consumer Suggestion: There are laws specific for this situation.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: There is a good reason not to use internet rates for you as the guest and for the property you wish to stay at. Hope this helps!

I have stayed at Wingate Inns for over two years and am a preferred customer. I was in Phoenix, AZ on August 13, 2002, at the Wingate Inn, 2520 North Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ, 85003 US, 602-716-9900 while trying to get my car repaired and conducting a job search.

I couldn't attach my bike rack to the rental car I had gotten from the airport, so I asked the management at the Wingate Inn if I could leave my bicycle in their storage area for a day or two until I could get a car to carry it or someplace to keep it until I put it on the plane. Their person in charge at the front desk said that it would be fine and remarked that I was a preferred customer. I called the person at the front desk while on the way back to the Wingate Inn from the airport on August 15, 2002 to make sure that I could pick it up. The female desk clerk assured me that it was there and it would be fine to come pick it up.

When I reached the Wingate Inn and went in to inquire from the male at the front desk explaining that I had just spoken to someone about picking it up, I was told in the most rude way that there wasn't any bike there and that he would call the police if I didn't leave the premises. I call that fraud and theft.

My Raleigh, 21 speed was worth over $500. This same front desk clerk was working when I stayed there earlier in the month. They had advertised special rates on the internet if you make reservations via the internet and I typically used those rates. This same front desk clerk acted very put out that I was using the advertised internet rates.

During this same stay someone had entered my room and I found some belongings missing, but I didn't say anything about it or complain, in fact I even left some articles of clothing and said that they could have them.

Vickie
Birmingham, Alabama

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/19/2003 02:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/WINGATE-INN/Phoenix-Arizona-85003/WINGATE-INN-ripoff-Fraudulent-Theft-Of-Bicycle-worth-over-50000-Phoenix-Arizona-67241. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on WINGATE INN

#1 Consumer Suggestion

There are laws specific for this situation.

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

Ever read the fine print on that little card nailed to the inside of a hotel room door? In most states, it says the hotel is not responsible for your property being stolen from your room. But if you give an item to the management and they agree to hold it for safekeeping, then they are responsible. That is exactly what happened to your bicycle.

In situations like these, when someone is threatening to call the police on you, it is time for YOU to call the police. If the police would be on the other guy's side they would've already been called.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Amber - (U.S.A.)

I worked at a Wingate Inn in Oklahoma City for many years till my husband was transfered with the military. And for the most part I believe that it's an excellent hotel chain. But keep in mind that Wingate Inn's are all owned my indiv. parties and are not owned my Cendent.

Most of the hotels offer better rates at the hotel rather than the rates you will find on the internet. And these are the reasons for this:

Cendent has to make extra money to pay those people that work in taking online and 1-800 # reservations. This is just not a free service they provide to the hotels. They in turn then pass along a comission fee to the hotel everytime a reservation has been made through them. So you are acutally paying more because the hotel has to pay more.

Try cutting out the middle man and calling the hotel direct yourself and asking about rates. I am willing to bet the rate will be lower than quoted internet rates. Plus you will have a better chance of getting the exact room type you want and sometimes even upgraded to even better rooms if it's a slow time.

Hotels almost never use their rack rate (their highest possible rate) unless there is something in town that would cause them to be extremly busy. Or it's high season in a area big for tourism. And if your a preferred guest they should know you and wont want to lose your business by quoating you a really high rate.

And if there is only one or two desk clerks you are familer with dont be afriad to just call back when they are on duty and talk to them directly. But the internet offers are very often the hotels rack rate. Because the higher the rate the higher the comission they get off that rate.

But as for your bike, I cant offer any advice on that. It actually sounds to me more than likely an employee did steal it. Probably the one that was so rude to you. And as a former employee of another Wingate Inn I will tell you I am sorry that happened to you if nobody else has. I hopes this has helped some. It never hurts to have a little bit of insider info!