Complaint Review: Wakefield & Associates, INC

• Updated: Tue, February 19, 2013

• Reported By: Anonymous — Greeley Colorado United States of America
Wakefield & Associates, INC
830 E Platte Ave Unit A Fort Morgan, Colorado United States of America

Wakefield & Associates, INC Rude, Aggressive, Liars, Unsympathetic Fort Morgan, Colorado

I had an extremely rough year last year with the loss of twins at 2 months pregnant.  I had medical insurance, but they did not pay for my problems.  They paid for some of the doctors visits, but did not pay for the doctor's bill or the emergency bill.  Then the ambulance bill comes and I was told that the insurance company told them they would not cover it due to a pre-existing condition.  Really?  How is pregnancy and pre-existing condition?

Anyways, I had so many bills coming and so little money.  Everyone demanding payment and no way to pay them all.  So, they end up with Wakefield & Associates.  I was already religious about paying them $50 a month due to other medical debt, but with the pregnancy and all the new financial issues, I couldn't pay anymore.  I tried to call them and no one would return my call.  I called twice and got no answers back, so tried to focus on the new financial burdens instead so they wouldn't go to collections too.  Unfortunately, I ended up getting a notice in the mail 3 months later saying that my wages were going to be garnished. I was appalled by their timing!  They never returned my calls, no one contacted me about the garnishments and they took place just 4 days after recieving the notice!  That's reasonable timing?!  I called the next day of the notice and finally got someone.  She said that I hadn't paid in 3 months.  I tried to tell her that I tried to call about the financial hardship but no one returned my calls.  She basically went quiet.  I tried to explain my situation, but she said she was sorry to here that, but I should have contacted them.  I tried!

I also talked with a credit counseling company that told me debt collectors could negotiate the amount I would have garnished and could stop it if they had an agreement they agreed to.  I told the associate this and she lied to me telling me there was no way she could do either of those!  I asked her if she would speak to my credit counselor and she said she refused.  I told her I was going to have to go to lawyer, because there was no way I'd be able to make it financially being garnished so much.  She said that if I went to a lawyer to have him call her.  Really?  She won't talk to a credit counselor about a negotiation, but she'd talk to a lawyer?

I went to a bankruptcy attorney the following day because I felt I had no choice.  Unfortunately, I did not have the money to pay upfront and was not willing to lose the things I worked so hard for.  He did tell me he worked with a young lady who was having trouble with this very company and said he was sorry I was having to deal with them too.  He said Wakefield & Associates was known for not backing down, that they did not care if you lost your home, they would continue to get what they could.

I felt so defeated.  The garnishments hurt so bad and put me behind on several bills.  They were over in few months, but the lawyer said to be wary, that they could and probably would put out another lawsuit for garnishments again.  They were paid twice a month and when the garnishments stopped, it wasn't even a week later that they were hounding me for money again.  They had already been paid twice the prior month and now they wanted more!  I immediately got credit counseling and was told I had 3 accounts with them, but a month later, the credit counselor called and said that Wakefield & Associates refused the proposal because I had several other accounts!  What!?

I requested all 3 credit bereus to send me my credit report.  Where were these accounts!?  I requested a copy of them from Wakefield and got one in 2 days.  But there are not account numbers and 2 different columns of balances.  It has hardly anything on it and is not easy to understand.  There is one account on there that dates back over 10 years ago.  Is this even legal?  I was bit by a rabid bat back then in someone's home and it was supposed to have been covered under their homeowner's insurance.

Wakefield & Associates is a complete lie!  They don't know what their doing and do not seem to update anything!  They talk to you like your dumb and flat do not even care.  They do not respond to calls when your late or will not be able to make a payment.  They do not send out notices or call to let you know of garnishments in a timely manner.  Then they turn down proposals from credit counselors when your at least trying to make an effort to fix your problems.  I do not wish this company on anyone!  I am so afraid that even though my credit counselor is paying them anyways, their going to try for garnishment again.  I'm scared of retaliation so try to refrain from calling them.  I always end up crying like a baby when I do call with questions, because they are so cold and rude.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/19/2013 05:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Wakefield-Associates-INC/Fort-Morgan-Colorado-80701/Wakefield-Associates-INC-Rude-Aggressive-Liars-Unsympathetic-Fort-Morgan-Colorado-1016978. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Wakefield & Associates, INC