Chin

• Updated: Wed, January 26, 2011

• Reported By:Ocean Springs Mississippi
Wal-Mart's - Douglas Goodyear
www.walmart.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Wal-Mart's - Douglas Goodyear Xtra-Trac Tires Douglas (Goodyear) Xtra-Trac Tires Are Poorest Quality Economy Tires Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: Douglas trac II

*Consumer Suggestion: The problem is Wal-Mart...NOT GOODYEAR

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Wal Mart does have some technicians....

*Consumer Suggestion: STOP buying "cheap" tires!! And...There are NO "service technicians" at Wal-Mart!!

I purchased a new Ford Focus and have been the sole owner since 2001. I have also used Wal-Mart for my tires since the cars purchase. However in the last few years, in my opinion, the tires have been of a low quality and have been unreliable and unsafe.

On January 26, 2007 I purchased 4 Douglas Xtra-Trac P185/65R14 tires. I had them installed; I also purchased the road hazard and lifetime balance and rotation. The tire wore evenly and still has plenty of tread on them.
However in Feb/March of 2008 the car developed a violent shake. We pulled the car over and found a large bulge in the tire. We took the car to Wal-mart and they replaced the tire giving us a $13.00 pro-rated credit for the unused portion of the 45000 mile tire. On September 2008, The car again developed a similar violent shake again, however we could not find the cause, nor could the Wal-mart service technician (who did not drive the car; he just visually inspected the tires. The car set for two months because I believed the suspension needed replaced. In December the car still had a shake and I parked it again, waiting for money to fix the suspension. In January 2009 I took the car into a tire shop (Other than Wal-Mart) they informed me all the tires steel belts were separated. I am amazed at the poor quality of these tires. I was told by Wal-mart that they were 45000 miles, but barely got 30,000 miles on the when they started separating.

I also am concerned that I purchased 4 new Douglas tires for my Girlfriends' 2001 Saturn. I am very concerned that I had received such poor quality tires on my car, that I will replace hers also when I replace mine.

So I have had now to replaced 4 of 5 tires purchased that separated before 30,000 miles on one car. And replace 4 six moth old tires on another car for safety concerns.

I will also not be using Good Year or Wal-mart for any tire purchase in the future.

Jay
Ocean Springs, Mississippi

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/30/2009 05:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Wal-Marts-Douglas-Goodyear/nationwide/Wal-Marts-Douglas-Goodyear-Xtra-Trac-Tires-Douglas-Goodyear-Xtra-Trac-Tires-Are-Poore-418314. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Wal-Mart's - Douglas Goodyear

Douglas trac II

AUTHOR: gbouie - (United States of America)

I very sorry to say this but If you buy a cheap tire, it is a cheap tire. All tires are designed to wear out. So be smarter than your comment. Just think if buy $500.00

tire with a 200,000 mile warranty do you really thing it would last if have the car sit up for months??????

#2 Consumer Suggestion

The problem is Wal-Mart...NOT GOODYEAR

AUTHOR: Tickedoffatfoxlakeford - (U.S.A.)

The problem with Wal-Mart is they have cheap tires. It's junk. If you go to a regular Goodyear Store, you will find excellent tires and service. I currently have Wranglers on my Escalade and triple treads. They are THE BEST tires out there.

Skip Wal-Mart and their junky tires. Go directly to a Goodyear Store.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Wal Mart does have some technicians....

AUTHOR: Chefkeith - (U.S.A.)

I was a Service Manager for a Wal Mart TLE for over 2 years. I also am ASE Certified. I had 3 technicians who also were certified. One of them was certified for front ends and did all of the alignments. As for the Douglas tires, in my 2 plus years with Wal Mart I never saw one returned tire in the shop. If you have 4 tires with separated belts then you need to contact the District Manager of TLE and explain your situation. Wal Mart always addressed any safety issues when it came to automobiles. Good luck.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

You get what you pay for. You want cheap. You got cheap.

It simply amazes me that people buy the cheapest crap they can find, and then when it doesnt work out, they scream "rip off"!!!

FYI...Wal-Mart DOES NOT have ANY "service technicians".
You will NOT find ANY "ASE CERTIFIED" employees in the TLE.

And, there are several other sources for good deals on tires. You just have to shop around, and most are online. I got KUMHO premium tires for the same money you paid for those junk Douglas tires! And, they were shipped right to my door!