Complaint Review: Wal-mart

• Submitted: Wed, July 09, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, July 09, 2008

• Reported By:Loranger Louisiana
Wal-mart
702 SW Eighth St Bentonville Arkansas 72716 Hammond, Louisiana U.S.A.

Wal-mart Warranty FRAUD! Their own receipt is proof! Hammond Louisiana

We purchased a big-screen onSeptember 22, 2006 from the Hammond, Louisiana store. It was an open-box item that they would no longer be carrying, so we got in on sale. The associate, who may or may not have been a manager, offered to throw in a two-year warranty with the television because, as we pointed out, we could purchase an unopened one and buy a warranty for about the same price. We did have a problem July of 2007 with the lamp, but the manufacturer had a recall on the part, so we got that resolved with no problem.

Fast forward to July 2008, within the two-year time frame. The television has purple discolorations that look like someone took a purple crayon to the picture. Two days after that developed, a bright red spot appeared in the upper right corner. Now there is a white spot on the left side. I pulled out the copy of the receipt (the original had degraded because of the heat-transfer ink on roll paper) and it clearly states, at the bottom, "You have purchased a 2 year service plan...". I called Wal-Mart's warranty line and was told by Teri that because the warranty does not appear on a separate line from the television purchase, I don't have a warranty. I explained repeatedly that because the bottom of the receipt matched what I was told at the time of purchase, I did not question it.

Being a reasonable person, it is reasonable to assume that when verbal matches written, and all parties are in agreement, a contract begins. The supervisor who got on the phone with me after Teri, Jackie, did not see it that way. She said I should have known to ask for paperwork, which I thought my receipt was, and that the receipt is no proof that I purchased a warranty because "Wal-Mart prints that on the bottom of all their big-ticket item receipts".

My position is that it is not my job to know the internal workings of Wal-Mart. I have to rely on the expertise and training of Wal-Mart associates to provide me with correct information. How am I, a layperson, to know that Wal-Mart prints this on the bottom of all their big-ticket item receipts? According to Jackie, I should know because she just told me. Nevermind the fact that this is 22 months after the purchase. Nevermind the fact that what I was told matches the verbiage of what I have in my hand. This meant nothing to her; only that the warranty was not on a separate line and I should know better.

I called Wal-Mart corporate and spoke to Ashley. I explained the situation to her, and asked if the fact that I have a Wal-Mart receipt, showing that Wal-Mart took my money for a television and two 20 ounce drinks, gave me change back, and that states in writing on the bottom that I have a warranty means that I have a warranty. Her response? Yes, I have a warranty. She transferred me to Jerry, who said he would escalate the call the the appropriate level of management and that someone would contact me within a few business days.

Later yesterday evening, I received a call from Edna at the local store. She said that she would have the electronics manager call me today, Wednesday, July 9, 2008. I did not hear from anyone, and when I called the store this evening, I was told that she and the electronics manager had gone for the day.

So tell me, if I have a receipt that says I purchased a warranty, don't I have a warranty? Regardless of what Wal-Mart's policies are regarding this, I have it in writing that I purchased a warranty. This is disingenuous at best, outright fraud at worst. Either way, I want my television fixed!

Bonnie
Loranger, Louisiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/09/2008 05:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Wal-mart/Hammond-Louisiana/Wal-mart-Warranty-FRAUD-Their-own-receipt-is-proof-Hammond-Louisiana-349375. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Wal-mart