Complaint Review: WalMart

• Submitted: Thu, August 16, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, December 23, 2007

• Reported By:Fort Myers Florida
WalMart
14821 Six Mile Cypress Pkwy Fort Myers, Florida U.S.A.

WalMart Wrongful Involutary Termination ripoff Fort Myers Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: You need to understand the law, and Walmart SOP

*Consumer Comment: I'm just wondering...

*Consumer Suggestion: Just wondering how you know Walmart is to blame for no response to job apps

*Consumer Comment: walmart

*Author of original report: First Battle

I came to work on June 3rd, 2007 and after working on the clock for 20 minutes was instructed to report to personnel. First I was instructed to tell THEM what happened and I had no idea what they were talking about. I was then told that the store manager Wayne Costa had fired me two days before claiming I had sexually harassed a FEMALE patron.

WHAT? I was in shock and disbelief. First of all, something of this nature should have been immediatley reported and confronted at the time of said incident, as well as the police called to file a report. Nothing happened at that said time because this accusation is false. But there were no accusations. There were NO questions. There was NO investigation. I was NEVER pointed out, identified, or approached for questioning at any time by any employee or patron.

I had been terminated without my presence and without proof of even the existence of said victim- because I was also told that Wayne said he had recieved a PHONE CALL, from a MAN, and not said victim, AFTER my shift was over as well as AFTER said incident occured. So basically NO ONE involved was ever idenitified, may not have even been there at time of said incident, or even exists for that matter.

I was told I had said,"I'd like to eat that."I worked as a MEAT SALES ASSOCIATE-surrounded by MILLIONS of food products that many people would, "Like to eat." Also the meat dept. requires the use of a coat with NO nametag. So if this incident, which I personally have no memory of, even HAD occured, it could have easily been directed towards any food item. I was then scolded even more how there had been a couple previous associate complaints about me. I immediately told them that none of which were of a sexual nature.

My work file is supposed to contain a complaint by me, on this SAME DAY of said incident reporting a harassing co-worker. So this said phone call could easily be linked to associate retaliation against me.

I was also asked to sign a BLANK seperation form and refused to sign until it was filled out correctly.
If this is the way Wal-Mart believes thier store managers should handle the termination of employees as an "Automatic Guilty Policy" with no facts collected at all why do you hire employees?

If this is the way Wal-Mart believes associates should be treated with no respect, complete distrust, then why are we working for you to begin with?

To top it all off I had to seek unemployment compensation and failed due to the "seperation determination" WalMart is lying about. And just to put icing on the cake I have applied at dozens of employers over the last eleven weeks with no responses and no income because of WalMart's lies.

Anothervictim
Fort Myers, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/16/2007 02:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/WalMart/Fort-Myers-Florida/WalMart-Wrongful-Involutary-Termination-ripoff-Fort-Myers-Florida-268035. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on WalMart

#1 Consumer Suggestion

You need to understand the law, and Walmart SOP

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

First of all, Florida is an "at will" employment state. This means either party can terminate the employment arrangement at any time with or without cause, and they don't legally even have to give you a reason, or anything in writing. They can legally just say "you don't work here anymore", and escort you off the property.

This is why every worker needs a UNION. This is why workers have to grow a backbone and organize.

Now, for the unemployment claim being denied. WalMart denies every unemployment claim filed, it is a matter of policy to keep costs down. Most do not appeal, and WalMart saves money.

Filing for unemployment from WalMart wages is a wast of time anyway. 50% of your highest quarter avaerage. With the low pay you were getting at Walmart this might be $150 a week! What are you going to do with that?

Your only choice here is to file a defamation of character lawsuit against them, but this takes a great deal of money to do.

There are various anti-Walmart websites I suggest you go to and post your case. Also create as many blogs as you can to get input from others that have suffered the same injustice.

You can also seek out and go after the person who made the complaint. You will have to send this request by certified mail/rrr and keep a copy for your records. Send it to the manager and to the corporate office, and also file a complaint with the EEOC.

Walmart has time and money on their side, and they know you most likely have neither. That is what they count on, and that is why they get away with the labor violations they get away with. Walmart is the single largest labor violator in the United States, and this is by percentages of complaints vs number of employees.

I'm just wondering...

AUTHOR: Striderq - (U.S.A.)

In your OP you stated
"I was told I had said,"I'd like to eat that."I worked as a MEAT SALES ASSOCIATE-surrounded by MILLIONS of food products that many people would, "Like to eat." Also the meat dept. requires the use of a coat with NO nametag. So if this incident, which I personally have no memory of, even HAD occured, it could have easily been directed towards any food item."

Exactly what "office of appeals" are you speaking of?? Do you mean that you will be able to collect unemployment beneifits? If so, that's still a long way from where you're at to the lawsuit that you insinuate that you can win for your dismissal. But please, keep us informed of the progress.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Just wondering how you know Walmart is to blame for no response to job apps

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

What proof do you have that Walmart is to blame for the lack of response you have experienced when applying for other jobs??? Maybe you just don't fulfill the requirements of the job or the companies don't respond unless they want to interview you???

walmart

AUTHOR: Charles - (U.S.A.)

Mabye, all the victims of walmart should hold the protest infront of walmart these are the many reason why I would not work in wal-mart, wal-mart already has a bad name but it's there own fault.

AUTHOR: LEENA - (U.S.A.)

I LOVE the idea of a protest. Make sure you hold it on the PUBLIC SIDEWALK so Walmart can't do anything about it!!

AUTHOR: Charles - (U.S.A.)

I, will never work in walmart due to this reason right here & after reading the many horrible things wal-mart has done to employees & custormers, I would like to know how can wal-mart accuse anyone of this conduct without any proof.

But, the good news is u where awarded unemployment mabye u should hold a protest infront of walmart.

First Battle

AUTHOR: Anothervictim - (U.S.A.)

The state of florida office of appeals has issued a favorable decision in my favor. Wal-mart failed to provide any proof of "miscounduct" on my behalf and walmarts tax account will be charged accordingly. This is just a small step towards justice.