• Report: #199128

• Submitted: Sat, July 01, 2006
  • Updated: Thu, October 25, 2012

• Reported By:Sylvan Springs Alabama
Walgreens
3023 Allison Bonnet Memorial Drive Hueytown, Alabama U.S.A.

Walgreens Pharmacy Ripoff Pharmacist Accuses Disabled Woman of Trafficking Morphine Hueytown Alabama

*General Comment: SOUNDS LIKE DRUG SEEKING BEHAVIOR TO ME

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: For the record; I do NOT choose sides.

* : This is all too common

*Consumer Comment: update??

*Consumer Suggestion: bad apple

*UPDATE Employee: Just an FYI

*Author of original report: Disabled Woman in Hueytown Needs Help

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: you are right, but what if corporate does not listen to customers and other employees

*Author of original report: Thanks to Michael

*Consumer Suggestion: Get Legal Representation

*Consumer Comment: Dearest Daniel

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Jason, some views are backed up with fact and customer experience

*Consumer Comment: Poor response to an interesting problem

*Consumer Suggestion: Fight back Karla...

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Are You Kidding Me??

*Author of original report: Thanx you for the information

*Consumer Suggestion: I was afraid you'd say that

*Author of original report: Thanks for the Information

*Consumer Comment: Those are Pharmacy Techs, not clerks

*Author of original report: Disorganized and Don't Care

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: You ought to get the media involved and write a letter to the editor

I would first like to give you some background on my health condition. In 12/1998, I underwent surgery to remove a sarcoma from my left chest wall. In removing this tumor, they had to remove four of my left ribs, part of my left lung, part of my sternum and reconstruction of my diaphragm. I have been on different treatments with medications ever since this surgery. They had to also remove all the muscle and tissue across my chest wall undernest my breast and then they packed Goretex mesh in to my chest and glued the skin flap over the Goretex mesh. I live in pain and depression every day.

Before this surgery, I rarely took a Tylenol. I had three children, I worked a fulltime job, kept the house clean and organized, cooked at least one large meal with meat and vegetables on the weekends, participated in dance recitals and helping run a dance studio so my daughter could get free lessons and recital outfits.

Now, I am just a big hunk of nothing trying to survive for the sake of my children and hoping to see them all living and prospering on their own. I used the Walgreens pharmacy in Hueytown, Alabama. I live in Sylvan Springs, AL which is about 10-15 miles away but we have no stores or pharmacies in Sylvan Springs. You can check your records and verify that I probably started using this Walgreens in 1/2005.

I never had any problems with anyone in the pharmacy. There was an African-American lady in the pharmacy who wore black rimmed glasses and I know her only because she was there during mornings when I would come back from the doctor and we would stop there to fill my prescriptions. If I was in extreme pain, she was very kind and tried to fill my medication as fast as possible so I could take some. After she left, I would ask the clerk about her and nobody could even tell me her name or if she went to work at another Walgreens.

After she no longer worked there, I really didn't know anyone. There was always someone different at the registers and I usually just went through the drive through and picked up refills. When I would on the inside of the store, there would be such mass confusion going on with the people behind the counter trying to find or straighten out a problem with someone's medications. I just paid and got my bag and left there quickly.

I was being treated for my condition by Dr. Timothy (((ROR REDACTED FULL NAME))) at the Kirklin Clinic in Birmingham, AL due the pain and difficulty I was having with everything they took out of my body. After 6/2005, I lost my health insurance. Dr. --- gave me prescriptions to supposedly help me withdraw from Oxycontin. On 9/29/2005, he gave me prescriptions with a note on how to take the medication. The instructions were to take Oxycontin 40mg twice a day for two weeks, then move to Oxycontin 20mg until gone and then move to Oxycontin 10mg. His note also said to use Clonidine patches for help with any withdrawal symptoms.

His plan was not very good since I was in the emergency room every week and was admitted to Brookwood Hospital in Birmingham, AL on 10/16/2005 where I was put in their Intensive Care Unit because my breathing was shallow, I was dehydrated and my blood pressure was extremely low. The doctor there said it was as if I was in a state of someone who had underwent anesthesia or a coma. My records for Walgreens shows that I received Oxycontin 40mg from Walgreens on 9/29/2005 which was the last day I saw Dr. Ness. Then, I received Oxycontin 20mg on 10/8/2005 and the last entry says I received Oxycodone/APAP 5/325mg on 10/22/2005. That is the last entry on my record with Walgreens. Who got or what happened to my prescription for Oxycontin 10mg I do not know.

My family is in the process of filing suit against Dr. --- because he had one time before prescribed the Clonidine patch for me and I did not use it because my gynecologist told me that with my problems of anemia and low blood pressure that I should not use these patches. I tried these patches in 10/2005 and I ended up in intensive care and Dr. --- could not be found to answer to the question of why he insisted I use the patch since this situation had come up before and I would not use the patch.

Well, now for my complaint. I was going out of my driveway on 6/20/2006 around 12:00 P.M. when a Jefferson County Sheriff car pulled in front of me. I got out of my vehicle and they proceeded to shove me in the backseat of their car. I told them I needed to take care of the vehicle and to tell my husband what was going on. They left with me in the back of the patrol car with my vehicle left running in the driveway, doors open with my wallet and purse laying on the seat. They said I was being arrested for attempting to traffick morphine.

I was put in a holding tank with 10 other women who had either been arrested that day or brought from the Birmingham City Jail to appear for court. There was one bench to sit on and a pad threw on the floor for people to sit on. This items accommodated seating for six people if you squeezed up real tight. There was one toilet in the room where you had to walk around and over people to use the restroom and there was no door or curtain you could pull to do your business on the toilet in privacy. I stayed in that room for almost 8 hours still not knowing why I was there or who had made this allegation against me.

When I got home the evening of 6/28/2006, it was too late to even call someone to try to find out what was going on. On 6/29/2005, my husband made some phone calls and was told that the pharmacist at the Walgreens in Hueytown on had said I came there on 10/25/2005 with a prescription that was not valid. She said she knew me and knew what I looked like. I don't know anything about her knowing me but I know I don't know her and if I received medication on 10/22/2005, I definitely would not be back in there on 10/25/2005 because I had no insurance and no money. I have not been to this Walgreens since 10/22/2005.

On 10/31/2005, I saw a doctor at Cooper Green Hospital which is a hospital for low income people without insurance. They base their fees on how much money a household has coming in. I have been disabled since 2/2000 and my husband has not worked since 9/10/2004. We have two teenagers at home. So, my little disability check doesn't go very far. After seeing the doctor at Cooper Green Hospital on 10/31/2005, she wrote my prescriptions using almost the same medications Dr. --- used except for a couple that she said were too dangerous to take with the other things I was taking.

I filled my prescriptions at the Cooper Green Outpatient Pharmacy at a price I could afford and have used the Cooper Green Hospital Outpatient Pharmacy ever since then. It may be crowded and slow but at least you don't have someone accusing you of "trafficking" or anything else. I do not know who this pharmacist is trying to impress. My husband used to be a police officer and I know they always liked together with girls from the area stores, gas stations, or whatever for some extramarital fun.

DEFINITION OF TRAFFICKING: Sales or distribution of controlled substances may be charged in cases where a transfer of drugs for money or other valuables can be proved, either through the use of informant evidence, an undercover sting operation or detailed surveillance of a suspected dealer's interactions with others. The offense of trafficking generally involves sales of illicit drugs on a continuous basis as a form of business activity. These violations also can be prosecuted at the local, state or federal level.

I am not able to traffick any drugs and any drugs I get I need for my health problems and definitely cannot afford to give or sell them to someone else. My children have watched me go through problems with my heart and mental problems where I took food out of the freezer and put books in the freezer and told them to hurry up and get ready because we are fixing to leave to go to the beach (which is about six hours away from our home).

They tell me about these things that I have done and I do not remember doing them and at first I thought they were joking when they would talk about these things. I stay at home in my house. I do not go out and socialize with people. I barely take my gown off and put clothes on. I cannot wear a bra because of all the damage they did to my chest wall. All I want is peace and the chance to be with my children a few more years.

This occasion that happened on 6/28/2005 affected me greatly and it has not ended because they have said I will have to go to court sometime later this summer. We were told to call them in 7-10 days to find out when the court date will be. I know I will never set foot in a Walgreens again even if it is just to buy a roll of toilet paper. (Also, I do not have a cardholder or member I.D. so I obviously was not very important as a customer to Walgreens.)

Karla
Sylvan Springs, Alabama

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Walgreens

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/01/2006 07:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walgreens/Hueytown-Alabama-35020/Walgreens-Pharmacy-Ripoff-Pharmacist-Accuses-Disabled-Woman-of-Trafficking-Morphine-Hueyto-199128. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walgreens

#1 General Comment

SOUNDS LIKE DRUG SEEKING BEHAVIOR TO ME

AUTHOR: jeff Campbell - (United States of America)

Karla Karla Karla,

While you may have had actual pain after the surgery it seems you have taken the typical addict's path to drug seeking. You said the clonidine was dangerous. It is no ,ore dangerous than all those RESPIRATORY DEPRESSING NARCOTICS YOU WERE TAKING. I have been on Clonidine .3 mg TID for 20 years and it doesn't bother me. I take it for b;lood pressure, and those patches he gave you for withdrawal are there to help you get OFF the drugs,. Problem is you don't want off them. You want MORE.  Cooper Green isn't going to continue to write you narcotics,, and neither is any other doctor when they check that PRESCRIPTION DATABASE that Alabama has for Narcotic drugs How many doctors you got writing you narcotics?? You can't get by with doctor and pharmacy shopping anymore,, even if you pay CASH. That NO INSURANCE bit doesnt woirk. If you got two kids at home and an out of work husband you have medicaid,,, oops Medicaid will only pay for so many pills a month, and that doesn't satify your habit now does it, especially at $10 or so a pill for oxycontin. These pharmacist know and so do the doctors simply by inquiring on you by social and date of birth,, what doctor wrote what and when and what pharmacy you went to. Its juts like when you had insurance,, the insurance company knew it all,, and yoiu thought by paying cash you could doctor and pharmacy shop?? NOPE,, THE Alabama Prescription Database gets you. look it up. It is maintained by Alabama Dept of Public Health. There is a methadone clinic right there in Bessemer that will help you get off the drugs or maintain you on them. Now you got to get your butt up out of bed each day and go get your dose and be piss tested 4 times a month, but yu will handle that. when they threaten to cut you off or back for dirty urine's,, youi will stop taking the benzo's and oxy. GET SOME HELP KARLA,,, PLEASE. Medicaid will pay for the Methadone treatment and they will even pay your gas to get there. Its not a free high or anything, so don't even plan on that. It will keep you from getting sick. It is nothing to be ashamed of for getting addicted. ANYONE WOULD at those doses,, now do something about it for your kids sake,,, You talk of suing the pharmacist and Doctor,,,, WHY?? because you are mad they won't give you narcotics. If you do what they tell you to for about 6 months at the methadone clinic you will get take homes and not have to go but once a week. I know that I am aboiut 4 years late on this report and you may be in jail, dead or strung out so bad you don't care,, BUT PLEASE PLEASE get some help. Again medicaid will pay for your methadone treatment,

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

For the record; I do NOT choose sides.

AUTHOR: All Things Considered - (United States of America)

I am Wayyy behind the timeline of this report, but I just came across the website, this report, etc.

Yes, I am a former employee. I was a good and honest worker, I got fired for reasons I believe were unfair, and I DO feel that I was an asset to the company. But, that was a year ago.

I am a nationally certified pharmacy technician. When I worked for walgreens I went the extra mile for my patients, and I say 'my' patients because I formed a strong employee/ customer relationship in order to properly serve every individual in the best way I knew possible. I feel that getting to know personalities is a key factor. I Did not, and do not agree with the way they do business, with the way problems are handled, I did NOT agree with the FACT that CORPORATE standards were MUCH GREATER of importance, than the needs of our patients...

Do you want an example: here is ONE... for the ones who needed help with calling insurance companies, putting your prior auth's into an effective motion: I was your girl! - Fact: I was informed NOT to do that. I was informed by the pharm mngr that is NOT our job... And some days, I was informed quite the opposite. Walgreens employees tend to be VERY confused.

But they are a thriving company, and growing every day. SO what does that imply at the same time?

I am in a huge rush here, so I must be quick:

The company is good for making anyone on pain killers feel like a drug addict. I watched it everyday.... its one of those things where one person or one group ruins it for all. The actual drug addicts (which you CAN tell a difference) have put every professional dealing with narcotics into a frenzy. WHO wants the DEA rifling thru files? NOONE. And with so many "dirty dr's" out there, it happens all the time.

As for our girl here; I am ever so sorry to hear your condition. I am certain you have been treated unfairly in your journey as a pain mngmnt patient.

BUT- (and with all due respect)

Isn't your husband an ex-cop? Doesn't he know any further info that he could have coached you on? Where was he this whole time? Other than taking you to a few appts. Police see drug addicts etc everyday. They know the law. And if all statements are true- well the law was broken if in no other way than DISCRIMINATION.

I don't know why you are so uninformed about such heavy meds. And I also don't know why you seem to be taken by surprise by the readers info they've had for you....You knew how to find and use this here web site to report your story and follow up- so why could you not google your meds, attorneys, withdrawal symptoms etc?

I am not against you here, but for goodness sakes- THIS IS YOUR LIFE we're talking about here! TAKE ACTION!

If I have offended you, that was never my intention. Learn from this as i am sure you have, and don't just allow someone to feed you drugs because they have a license to do so. Think of it this way: there are thousands of people with a drivers license....but look at how many ppl just CAN NOT drive and should NOT be on the road!

Have your own back because it's so hard these days to find anyone, no matter their title, to have your back for you.

I must run, and I wish you well I swear I do! I would love to hear that all of this was worked out and you can go on with your life......

But it's a nasty world out there, we as individuals MUST BE equipped with info, and prepared!

#3

This is all too common

AUTHOR: Dave - (USA)

We see this kind of thing all the time with patients. Due to DEA guidelines, prescription drugs classified as schedule 2 drugs must be kept locked up in a safe. Pharmacists are always more vigilant on these types of prescriptions. It is the patient's responsibility to make sure the prescription is signed by the doctor, and their DEA number is written on the prescription. (If you don't see either one of those, then the pharmacy is required by law to refuse to fill the prescription, and also report it to the DEA, regardless of the circumstances.) Too often we get patients at our pharmacy that come in with a prescription for Oxycontin, and get mad that the pharmacist either wants to verify the script or refuses to fill it.

Pharmacists HAVE THE RIGHT to refuse to fill or to verify any prescription they want to, for any reason. Chances are, that if one pharmacist chooses they want to verify the prescription, you will have the same results if you want to take the prescription somewhere else. They talk to each other, and know most of the doctors that prescribe excessively and needlessly, putting patients at risk. Your best bet is to let the pharmacist do their job. Also, Walgreens does not have a "card" or member ID for any of their customers. This is meant to protect your privacy, rather than to track everything you purchase there, in effort to target you to spend more money in the store.  Nothing bothers me more than when customers claim that a pharmacy wronged them, when they were just performing standard duties. Whether if its for a pain medication that you just happened to run out of, and want to fill too soon, a prescription that the pharmacist wants to verify with the doctor, or if we substitute a generic drug for a brand name one without telling you (by the way, in most states, we're not required to disclose that to you verbally. Generic drugs are for the most part, with very few exceptions, the exact same as the brand name. Get over it that your vicodin works better than your hydrocodone/acetaminophen. You won't convince any of us of that, all you'll do is make yourself look like a stuck up, pretentious hypochondriac.)

Your pharmacist is not required to go out of their way to help you. Anything extra they do for you is under their own free will.  I wish you good luck, if in fact you have been wronged, but more than likely you were not, and the pharmacy staff were just doing their jobs.

update??

AUTHOR: Nurse.ray - (U.S.A.)

hrm...no updates in a while. perhaps she ended up in jail?

she had an oxycodone script from one MD filled on 10/22, then went to the hospital on 10/31 & had additional scripts from a different MD filled for "almost the same medications"...definitely suspicious. plus, the physical complaints she mentions (low B/P, shallow breathing, dehydration, confusion) are typical symptoms experienced by someone who has been taking more oxycontin than prescribed.

regardless of what walgreens did, at the very least, it sounds as if her behavior warranted some sort of closer scrutiny.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

bad apple

AUTHOR: Marikay4 - (U.S.A.)

I first want to send suport and well wishes Karla. Your medical problems sound horrific at best and it is unfortunate that you have had this experiance. There was no call for what they did to you. So many ways they could have done differently. It brakes my heart to see others suffering from pain and depression. To hear you are now resolved to misery and wanting nothing but more time with your children stings. No one should have to resolve their life to those kinds of conditions.

Sadly it seems more and more of us are stuck doing just that. The reason I'm responding to your story is I have quite a bit of background in the situation which you are dealing with on various levels. I hope I can be helpful in some way.

I agree with the others that the doctor did not understand the medication well enough when he perscribed you to cut back on the medication like he did. I don't have to wonder what that kind of sickness feels like because I have been rushed to the hospital sick and deydrated from all the medication I was on when doctors failed to set up proper pain management.

I live in the constant fear of something happening to my medication and cops showing up on my door step to arrest me. As it happens I take medications that pretty much round out to be high doses of morphine to try and help with the pain I deal with from a genetic disorder that distroys your joints and everything else. It was a huge battle at first to get doctors to understand why I was on that kind of medication so I was bounced around a bit by doctors who thought I was a drug addict or lieing to them so I could go sell it or something. I have had doctors get in my face and call me a liar and tell me information they knew wasn't true to see if I was bluffing or not and they only backed down when I was able to provide the proper information and the information of my specialists who diagnosised me with the genetic disorder.

I was insanely lucky to find a pain specialist who trusts me and knows I'm not faking my situation and is really awesome about my medications. I was so glad for so many reasons. One being that the other doctors had forced me to do drug tests and things that were a long shot away from upholding my civil liberties. There is no way in hell someone who has PTSD from a sexual abuse trama is going to be able to pee in a cup when surounded by 2-3 nurses in really restrictive rules including not being allowed to turn on the sink so one can try and focus on the driping water meditative kind of stuff... (you'll be willing to do just about anything to pee if you have been told that if you couldnt give a sample, you would be arrested)

That was a horrible experiance. So many of my disabled friends still fight with doctors who wont give them the medication they need. so many still have to pee in front of nurses or deal with being accused of trafficing drugs like what happend to you.

To continue on. I get my medications from Wal-greens. Our town is big enough that we have 4-5 of them. One in each major segment of our town. I normally go to one by my home on the northwest side of town. The Techs are all really nice. They know me by name. They like the woman you experianced would hurry my script a head of others if they saw me hurting and have been nice enough to call to resolve issues If we have had any on their watch. I have a good reputation with them and I respect them and I don't think anyone at that pharmacy would believe I was selling drugs.

The Pharmacy on the Northeast side of town near my Pain Management doctor however. I started bringing my scripts into them recently as they were two blocks from the doctor. made sence right? wrong! I have been acused twice by them out of 4 or 5 times filling with them of trying to get more morphine than I should have or doing wrong with my medication once I got it. The first time the doctor forgot to write something on the script. they were insanely nasty to me. I ended up having to go the two blocks to his office and have him call and chew them out and that the medication was indeed what I needed bla bla bla. They apologized to my face when I rolled back in a few minutes earlyer. but way to go making a disabled walker/wheelchaired person go back and forth a few blocks to clear her name.

The second time was even worse. The Pharmasist himself comes out from around the counter to where I'm sitting in my wheelchair waiting for my scripts and trys to tell me that I had asked two different doctors for the same morphine script(aka, trying to double up the meds)and I had no clue what he was talking about. I asked him who the second doctor was. he gave me the name and it was my pain specialists assistant that sometimes fills scrips for my doctor if hes out of town doing a surgery like he is often doing. The Pharmasist called me a liar to my face. I handed him my doctors number and the assistants number and all this information and proof and he storms behind the counter and makes phone calls. My Doctor chewed him out. saying not only was I suposed to have the medication but for hurassment as it was the second time he had to talk to them about it all.

The Pharmasist didnt say another word to me. a minute or two later a tech told me my script was ready and I left with it vowing not to go back to that Wal-greens again.

I also note that the Northwest Pharmacy has called me in the middle of the night and told me someone was trying to fill a script of vicodine on my account and that they knew it wasnt me and it seemed fishy. I told them it wasnt me. I'm allergic to Vicodine which they said the computer logged my alergies so the account was on hold for that too. The person ran off before they could catch them but they removed the script from my account and have it written that no one but myself with proper id and everything can pick up meds also asking them sign for it and bla bla bla.

So my point of veiw on this situation is that its really more the individual person working if they are going to be honest or shady. One group of Walgreens employees were ready to lench me for being a drug dealer two blocks from my doctors and the other Wal-greens are nice helpful persons who have gone out of their own way to help me when I was in horrible pain or held information or scripts longer than they should if I'm low on funds or what have you.

I think I'd suspect that Walgreens worker who swore you took medication that you don't even use. Like the other person said. a Shady employee could not use the proper amount of medication. if they did that one pill every customer. I looked it up and one pill of morphine goes for like 80$ a pop on the street. so a tech could short someones script one a month for a 80$ bonus... really sad.

The horrible part is they targeted you because they knew you wouldnt be able to fight as hard as a "abled" bodied person. Story of being Disabled. We get treated like shit. I can't count how many times people actually get in my face about parking in the handicap spaces despite having a valid ticket and in a wheelchair. they say I'm too young to be disabled. wtf. when did that ever have anything to do with it?

I hate that one bad apple ruins it for all of us who really need pain medication. we have to jump through hoops, fill out miles of paper work. do drug tests. get arrested. so on so forth because people abuse the system like they do. its wrong. its horrible.

Anyway, thats some of the experiances I've had that relate to your situation I thought mite help. I'm really sorry this happened to you. I hope that only good things are in the future!

-Marikay

Just an FYI

AUTHOR: Pharmd09 - (U.S.A.)

Just thought I would add some info about the Walgreens printed out prescription profile that you have. The last date that shows up is 10/22 because that is the last date you actually PICKED UP a prescription, NOT the last time you, or someone else, were/was in the store trying to fill a prescription. This means that the date in question, 10/25, would not show up on the printout because there was nothing actually filled on that date. The doctor told the pharmacy not to fill the prescription, therefore there was no prescription entered into the computer system and filled on 10/25.

Disabled Woman in Hueytown Needs Help

AUTHOR: Karla - (U.S.A.)

As I have been accused of trafficking morphine due to an accusation by a Walgreens employee and was arrested by the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department in Bessemer, Alabama, I have been sent a letter stating that I will have to appear in court in Bessemer to a Judge Eric Fancher at which time they will hear reports from someone (I don't know who) and decide if there is enough evidence to schedule an actual trial by jury. If anyone out there knows anything about this process, please help me. I don't know what to do. I have just been depressed and crying. I have no one to help me here and I cannot afford an attorney. PLEASE SEND ANY INFORMATION YOU HAVE THAT MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP ME.

#8 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Daniel - (U.S.A.)

Jason this is what you stated" I seem to remember signs posted for employees near the store restrooms. 1800NOLOSS. Maybe you should call?"

Yes, I would agree with you that I should have called and you are right, this was an isloated incident.

That would be the case IF it was just 1 store. But when you have a manager that had complaints of not doing work not at just 1 store but 3. And the customer have complained to corporate. And many of the store managers and employees in the disliking this one manager. My mother even had a problem with the store manager and even the corporate people that took the call were troubled.

But, what happended? Customer concerns were not address. They just disregard the concern and keep running it like they are. HENCE WHY YOU SAW AFRICAN-AMERICAN Managers filing a lawsuit against Walgreens. It had to take a letter to the President to get something happening.

I even try to go to the district manager, and the district manager laugh and decided to tell me that it was my job to protect cosmetics when I am not in the photo lab. (MAKE SENCE!?)

Jason, whichever Walgreens you are shopping at normally, they are doing their job. And some other Walgreens Stores are doing their job. But it is those other stores that have bad management and when corporate does not address those stores is the reason why Walgreens has become very bad.

Hence the reason why I dared you to go to a Walgreens that has a Photo Lab Speicalist in Cosmetics. You would think it would be crazy, but that is how some Walgreens are being runned!

Thanks to Michael

AUTHOR: Karla - (U.S.A.)

Thank you very much for your information about getting legal representation. I am in the process right now of getting all of my paperwork together so I can present it to an attorney. You were definitely correct when you said I could not afford legal representation. I hate to admit it, but I actually have almost as much dislike towards attorneys as I do to doctors and lawyers. Everytime in my life span that I have went to a lawyer with an issue that I needed up help with, they piddled around with the paperwork and never accomplished anything. I am going to try and suck up my feelings towards attorneys and find one. I have tried Legal Aid in Birmingham and they have told me they do not have lawyers who participate in criminal cases -- they only have lawyers that can represent you in domestic cases.

#10 Consumer Suggestion

Get Legal Representation

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

Karla:

You need legal representation today. You need a criminal defense specialist, a medical malpractice specialist and a civil litigator.

Do not rely on the public defender for your upcoming court date. I know you cannot afford legal representation but I belive that you can get Legal Aid, probably in Brimingham to help you on a pro-bono basis.

I beleive that you can get a civil litigator to take your cases against Walgreens and the Doctor on a contingency basis.

Please make getting representation your #1 priority.

#11 Consumer Suggestion

Karla,

Have you contacted the actual store manager for the location? I am willing to bet he or she would rather provide resolution at the store level rather than have it escalate to the whatever regional office they have.

Just call; if you never call you will never know. All you have now are instincts. Unfortunately, not all of our instincts are correct all the time.

The truth of the matter is, not matter what level of operations management, each member must have a certain degree of tact and respect for each other, their employees, and most importantly their customers.

Explain calmly your issue. The first mistake made by most angry persons is to yell. Almost immediately that sends to the person on the receiving end a message. This message in turn communicates that he or she is being attack and therefore should use whatever means to defend themselves. In short, the result issued is unfavorable for both parties.

I implore you to talk to a manager at that location or another location. Businesses are in the world for money. It's true! Without customers businesses have no means to survive. So, your thoughts, input, and economic value (if nothing else) is respected and appreciated. Please don't feel as if this were not so.

#12 Consumer Suggestion

#13 Consumer Suggestion

#14 Consumer Suggestion

Dearest Daniel

Daniel,

Isolated incident are hard to find because they're isolated but easiest to exaggerate. I visit a walgreens regularly. I find help almost immediately. The staff there is typically friendly. On a normal basis I have no problems. The most I have ever seen Walgreens physical err was when they lost a roll of film of mine. They offered to find it; they offered to replace it--all free of charge.

I strongly suggest/urge that you visit multiple walgreens before making assertions of the chain as a whole. It is difficult to see part as the whole.

I sympathize with you; whatever location you worked at did not run properly. I seem to remember signs posted for employees near the store restrooms. 1800NOLOSS. Maybe you should call?

Kindest regards,

#16 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Jason, some views are backed up with fact and customer experience

AUTHOR: Daniel - (U.S.A.)

Jason this is what you stated, "Also, I noticed a post from an ex employee... How many people who are reading this post knows a good store from an ex employee from about their ex employer. Situations and circumstances usually dictate that there was a difference of opinion or clashing of views. So, with all skepticism, please be skeptical about ex employee views."

In some cases, you would be correct. However, what about respected employees? I would not consider difference of opinion or clashing of views. I was a respected employee by my peers and my co-workers and various customers that I came in to serve.

How about if you go into an actual Walgreens store and try to get your film develop. If you get one, the manager is doing their job. But I suggest go into one where the Photo Lab Specialist is up at the Front Register and NO ONE is in the photo lab. Stand there wait 5-10 minutes see if someone comes.

That is what many of the people that I was suppose to serve saw and when they complained, NOTHING WAS DONE! They complained to the store manager, district manager, corporate. What happended nothing was done and further, I was the one who got punished. And you know how I know this, many customers came up to me and told me.

Okay, now try this. Male Photo Lab Specialist in Cosmetics. What does this do? Now instead of killing 1 department, you are killing 2 departments. People complain, nothing was done!

AND DO NOT TELL ME THAT I WORKED FOR WALGREENS THAT I WAS SUPPOSE TO DO WHAT THE MANAGER TOLD ME TO DO! That argument will not fly. The customer knows that the Photo Lab Specialist is suppose to be in the Photo Lab, NOT GUARDING $100K worth of Costemtics.

AND TELL ME WHERE IN THE JOB DESCRIPTION WHERE I AM SUPPOSE TO GUARD $100K worth of COSMETICS! You will not find it.

Many of these ex-employees were respect and the reason why they either quit or got fired. All of us felt like that WALGREENS CHANGED THE RULES!

If I ran a business like this, I would be out of business!

I DARE YOU, to go into a Walgreens store where there are only 2 people and no one covering photo and you try to drop off film. I would bet that you view would change.

AUTHOR: Karla - (U.S.A.)

The police said the warrant was issued on 10/25/2005 but I did not know a thing about it until they stopped me in my driveway on 6/28/2006 and said I was being arrested. Even through being taken to the Jefferson County Sherriff's Dept. and over seven hours in a holding cell, I still did not know what was going on. I kept asking over and over for them to tell me what was going on and they said I would find out in court (which as of today, no court date has been scheduled). I was not arrested in 6/2005. I do not know where this date was mentioned in my report, maybe I meant to type 6/28/006 as the date of the incidence in my driveway and accidentally typed 6/28/2005.

Of course we have asked for proof. Again, we have been told it would be provided in court. All I was finally told was that I was being arrested for "trafficking of morphine". Which is absolutely rediculous because I hardly ever get out of the house. They said the pharmacist at Walgreen's in Hueytown, Alabama told them that I came into the pharmacy on 10/25/2005 to get my prescription for Oxycontin filled and that when they called the doctor to verify the prescription he had told them not to fill the prescription. The police said that the pharmacist knew what I looked like and knew it was me. It is strange that their print out of my prescriptions filled with them stopped on 10/22/2005 and I have not had any prescriptions filled there since then and I would not have been there on 10/25/2005 (only "3" ) days later to try and purchase more medication. I would not have had the money for more medication because what I got and paid for on 10/22/2005 wiped out my money until 11/3/2005 which is when I would receive my next Social Security Disability check. Again, I do not know anybody who works at Walgreens. There is a constant turnover of people and I can't remember ever seeing the same person more than twice in that store. If the police asked me to describe the pharmacist, I would not be able to.

I am planning on suing the doctor because of the inhumane treatment he issued for a supposedly "4 week detox" off medication I have been taking for almost 8 years. And even within that 4 week detox plan, as above, he told the pharmacist not to refill one of the prescriptions he had given me which meant I did not even have medicine for four weeks. Because of his "4 week detox plan", I ended up in the Intensive Care Unit and almost died.

I hate to say it, but store managers in these situations are worthless. They stand behind the employee. They are not trained to handle a situation that involves people being arrested and police officers.

AUTHOR: Karla - (U.S.A.)

Poor response to an interesting problem

AUTHOR: Jason - (U.S.A.)

Unfortunately most DEA regulations dictate that pharmacies keep a tight lock on a select group of drugs.

Quite regularly, they are passed false prescriptions or are alerted that a prescription pad has been stolen from a Doctors office--to be on the look out for suspicious activity.

Unforunately, it appears you were caught or accidently involved in an instance where you were an innocent bystander. This happens often with the way laws work.

As for the frequent pharmacy technican change, a lot of times pharmacies do not have the staff they require for their business. So, they borrow technicans from other locations, or they use technicans that float from store to store. These are no less trained individuals. They just happened to be unfamilar with a store's configuration.

As for your situation with Walgreens, talk to the store manager. Explain the grief that you have gone through. I understand the action is difficult--next to impossible. However, you are one of the few very important people who can make sure this does not happen to another individual. Let the manager know your situation, and I feel he or she will everything within his power to promise you that you will never be treated so poorly again.

Kindest regards,
Jason

#21 Consumer Suggestion

Fight back Karla...

AUTHOR: Stephen - (U.S.A.)

Perhaps your husband can help with your fight with these morons at Walgreens, because you probably need rest...my wife is also a chronic pain med patient-and has, on three separate occasions caught the store shorting her pill count. Only after we demanded an immediate audit of their inventory were we treated with any semblence of respect. They suddenly backtracked, apologized, and completed the prescription as per the doctors orders.

I often wonder what becomes of those "extra" pills they inevitably find in stock. We have become the eccentric customers who demand a physical count at time of checkout...and twice more have been counted short. You can call them "techs"... or whatever...they still have an inordinate problem with medication counts. The person who oversees policy and pharmacy operations at the store we frequent in Hazell Dell, WA is the Retail Mgr,not a pharmicist, or even a "tech".I hope you prevail...and are awarded damages.Good luck.

#22 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Are You Kidding Me??

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

I just have to respond to this. I must ask a few questions and would like to have them answered if at all possible.
Were you accused of trafficking in 2004 or 2005? It seems that you had gotten arrested in 6-2005, however you were accused of doing this at Walgreens in 10-2005.
Have you asked for any proof from Walgreens regarding this supposed prescription that was allegedly picked up by you??
Also, why are you planning on suing the Doctor?? Is it because of the taper schedule or some other event that we are not aware of??

I am truly sorry that this has happened to you. I am too much aware of the stigma that people in chronic pain go through every single day. Whether it be about going to a Doctor to request meds or being lucky enough to find a compassionate Doctor to prescribe these much needed medications to us. Then having to deal with someone at Walgreens looking at us like some freaking criminal for trying to get a prescription filled for a needed medication.
It all jsut pi**es me off!!!!

Thanx you for the information

AUTHOR: Karla - (U.S.A.)

I have been totally in the dark about my treatment and I have always thought doctors knew what they were doing and would not in any way put someone through such an inhumane way and not care. He just told me what medicines he was going to use and that after four weeks I would be fine. I don't know where or how the word "morphine" got into this because like you said, I was not taking morphine.

If there is anyone out there who works for a pain clinic, etc., I would like to hear about how you should really be treated and what the proper way of taking away Oxycontin from a patient who had cancer surgery and had been on Oxycontin for seven years. It seems that there should be some kind of protocol that they would use so that the patients are treated fairly. This doctor was always smiles and jokes when my husband would take me to the clinic. If I ever went by myself, he was rude and they would put me an examination room and I would sometimes be in there two hours or more and could hear him seeing other patients in rooms next to mine or across the room from mine and those patients had appointments after mine.

Again, if my husband was with me, he would be in there within fifteen minutes of them putting me in the room. Unfortunately, now I have a phobia about doctors and pharmacies. I make my husband take me to the doctor and pharmacy so he sees what goes on and knows that I do not get any medication that have not been prescribed for me.

#24 Consumer Suggestion

I was afraid you'd say that

AUTHOR: Lorraine - Geek Consumer Advocate :-) - (U.S.A.)

Ohhh Karla! I just want to reach out and hug you after reading what you went thru. I don't at all doubt you went thru severe withdrawal symptoms given that horrible taper schedule your 'doctor' put you on .. I use the word doctor lightly.

I'm also a pain patient. I've been thru too many bad, uncaring doctors over the years and been thrown into too many unplanned withdrawals due to their ignorance or just plain not caring. The doc doesn't feel our pain, so we get accused of being liars, drug seekers or just plain crazy.

There are too many doctors out there that aren't educated enough about opiates and how to get a patient off them once they have taken them for any length of time. Most patients aren't aware that a regular doctor has only received a few hours of teaching on the subject in all those years of college they attend to become a doctor. Unless the doctor has personal experience, he will have no concept of how hard a detox can be. All I can do is give you tips that I have done to try to avoid this happening again to you in the future.

What my doc allows me to do is make my own detox schedule, with the understanding I can delay a drop in the dose if I don't feel ready yet to avoid exactly what you went thru. I write it all out and he puts it in my file, so he can always go back and reference it when needed. I've done a couple tapers off the meds over the years to lower my tolerance to the meds, so I don't have to take as much later, but he always has let me do it at my own pace, so I don't feel rushed and I don't get as sick. I then commit myself to the 2 weeks of feeling like I have the worst flu ever, the horrible pain a withdrawal brings, the lack of hunger and the general 'I just wanna die' feeling, then another 2 weeks of just feeling lousy and depressed until I'm finally something that resembles normal again.

I've fired more doctors than I've kept, due to their lack of knowledge on pain and the opiate meds I take to get rid of it to have some quality of life. The best doctors I've found were always Osteopaths. They have been caring and really listen to me. MD's would never do that and insist I do things their way, even when my past experience said different. I've found MD's to have more of the god complex doctors are known for, even when I've more than shown them I am totally aware of what I'm gonna go thru and I've done my research.

I use a neighborhood pharmacy and have talked to the head pharmacist, so he's aware I do have real pain and I've researched the meds I take, I take as directed, I never abuse and I've never had a problem after that. Unfortunately for pain patients, we can sometimes present ourselves with the same 'attitude' an addict does when we are needing our next refill and a problem occurs. Instead of looking up our records and seeing we've been on the drug or drugs for an extended period of time and realizing we are medically addicted and going into a withdrawal, they assume we are just an addict and the drama begins. Again, I'm so sorry to hear you had to go thru this, no one should .. EVER!

One thing you may want to mention to your attorney when court comes up. They accused you of dealing morphine, but you said you were taking Oxycontin. Morphine is MS Contin and Oxycodone is Oxycontin. The 'contin' drugs are timed released pain meds that require a triplicate script to get. Why are they saying Morphine, when you never got any of that?

Had you been on Ms Contin, you would have found the detox a lot easier to get thru, if you aren't aware of that. I've always had my doc change me from Oxycontin to MS Contin before I started a detox and then tapered down to Lortab or Vicodin 10 mg, then to 7.5 and then to 5 and off. My starting dose on Oxy was 80 mg 4 times a day with Vicodin ES (7.5) for breakthru and I changed over to 120 mg of MS Contin with the Vicodin for breakthru. (That's the conversion rate for the 2 drugs so you have the same strength.)

I suspect the reason there was no mention of pneumonia upon release because they realized you didn't have that, you were just in an opiate withdrawal. The symptoms can present themselves as similar and until they found out you were a pain patient they didn't realize what was wrong. Once they did, they tried to keep you as comfortable as possible as you went thru it. (I do question why they didn't send you to a rehab place though where they are better equipped to help someone doing a withdrawal.)

If you aren't aware of it, Methadone is a wonderful pain killer and a month's worth costs about 25 bucks. You get better pain relief and save a whole lot of money. The problem is the stigma attached to the drug and some doctors won't prescribe it. Should you get into this situation again, to avoid going into withdrawal, you could always go to a Methadone clinic until you find a doctor willing to help you. (Many pain docs these days are moving their patients over to Methadone if they are going to be on painkillers for life. It's not a drug for short term use as the withdrawal off it is much, much worse than off morphine or oxycontin.)

The only downside to this is most clinics only treat drug addicts and want pain patients to see a pain doc. You would have to avoid telling them you are a pain patient and let them assume you are an addict to get accepted into the clinic, but that still is better than going thru an unplanned withdrawal. You also have to go to the clinic every morning to get your dose for the day and it takes months of daily dosing before they allow you to have any take home doses. (Remember, they are geared towards addicts, not pain patients who can take as directed.)

I'm so sorry you went thru this. I hear it way too often these days and do understand how hard it is to get help when in chronic pain.

Thanks for the Information

AUTHOR: Karla - (U.S.A.)

I ended up in the Intensive Care Unit at a local hospital on 10/16/2005, thanks to my pain doctor taking out a bad day, dislike of his job or whatever. They said that my blood pressure was very low, breathing was shallow and that I was dehydrated. I know I was dehydrated because the pain I was going through made me sick and I could not eat or drink. I sat on our couch for 3-4 days and all I could do was rock back and forth and moan and cry. I think after about four days, my body just shut down from no food, drink or sleep. There should be special doctors for people with pain from cancer surgery, etc. I understand the pain clinics deal with alot of people with migraines, backaches, etc. that cannot be verified by any tests or x-rays. The hospital where I was in the ICU discharged me after I came to and they found out that I was a patient in a pain clinic. They gave me some medications to last five days and sent me home. Now, in gathering records to sue the pain clinic doctor and Walgreen's, we have found that I actually had pneumonia per their chest x-ray and they had given me one dose of antibiotics in the IV while I was there. I was discharged with no mention of pneumonia and no prescription for antibiotics. It seems that when someone finds out you are a patient at a pain clinic that they just send you on your way because they think you are just trying to "doctor shop" to get more pain medications. I have never "doctor shopped" and never taken anything other than what has been prescribed for me by the pain doctor. But, just like this hospital, they focused on the fact that I was on pain medications and did nothing about the pneumonia, especially with the fact that a part of my left lung was removed during the surgery to remove the tumor.

Those are Pharmacy Techs, not clerks

AUTHOR: Lorraine - Geek Consumer Advocate :-) - (U.S.A.)

Karla, the people behind the counter in a pharmacy are either Pharmacy Techs or a Pharmacist, no one else is allowed back there. The person you saw ringing up scripts, filling them and so forth was more than likely a tech. After the tech has filled the script, the pharmacist comes behind them and checks to make sure it's correct and ok's it to be put up for the customer to pick it up.

While I'm no fan of Walgreens and wouldn't fill my scripts with them, I just wanted you to know they don't use 'clerks', only techs and pharmacists.

As far as the OP goes, along with getting a new pharmacy to do business with, I'd also consider a new doctor. That detox schedule he had you on is totally crazy. When tapering off opiates, you should drop by only about 30% once a month, then give your body time to adjust to the lowered dose, then drop again the next month. Then keep doing this until you are at a low enough dose to stop taking it without having bad withdrawal symptoms.

The dropping by half each time, like he had you on, is asking for major withdrawal symptoms. The clonidine patch is commonly used to help relieve withdrawal when you are doing a detox, but since you aren't able to take it, your doc should have given you something different along with not dropping you so fast. Ativan or Xanax would have worked almost as well as the patch had he given you one of those to take for a few days every time you did a drop of your opiate dose.

Disorganized and Don't Care

AUTHOR: Karla - (U.S.A.)

There is one thing that I do not understand about Walgreens and most other facilities that have a drive-thru window.

During the times that I actually went inside the Walgreens in Hueytown, they had one clerk working the front register and the same clerk running back and forth from the drive-thru window to the front counter. You would have to stand there and watch her service people at the drive-thru even though you were standing in front of here way before the person at the drive-thru got there. That was the main reason I preferred the drive-thru because I did not have to stand in line because of pain in my back and legs and I usually got service alot faster.

How do they think they are doing their job adequately with no errors when they don't even have enough people working in the pharmacy. I have even saw these cash register clerks input prescriptions into the computer and then get a bottle of medication from the stock shelf area, count the pills and put the sticker on the front of the bottle. If a cash register clerk can do all this, why have a pharmacist working in there making a larger salary than the cashier?

Is it legal for a minimum wage cashier to process and fill prescriptions? What kind of training do they have that would make them qualify to do these things that are very important and even one error in dosage or accidentally putting the wrong medication in a bottle can cause patients harm, suffering and maybe even death?

#28 UPDATE EX-employee responds

You ought to get the media involved and write a letter to the editor

AUTHOR: Daniel - (U.S.A.)

As an ex-employee of this now disgraced company, I am not surprised at the antics they have decided to employ on you. Instead of worrying about the customers and making sure that they get it right and checking it out because of your condition, Deerfield, Illinois (Corporate Headquarters of Walgreens) along with David W. Bernauer CEO and Jeffrey A. Rein decides it is better to have

- Poor Customer Service
- Photo Lab Speicalist Guarding $100K worth of cosmetics and not even covering the photo lab
- Not caring about customers
- Not caring about employees
- Price things incorrectly and not honoring them
- Promoting Bad Managers
- Firing Good Employees like me

Even though I was still employed by Walgreens, I felt like Walgreens left me in Nov. 2002 when they decided to put a manager that was not good in customer service and decided it was better to blame everything on me.

Before David became CEO, the company was great everyone knew what their role was in the store and it was a well-oiled ship. Then when David became CEO he decided money was more important than customer service.

It is time to you to respond. Get the media involved and start writing letters to the editor about this disgraceful practice and let the people in your city know about this. It is time to start sending the message that Walgreens is a very bad company.