Complaint Review: Walgreens

• Submitted: Wed, April 29, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, December 09, 2009

• Reported By:poland Ohio
Walgreens
Mckinley Way Poland, Ohio U.S.A.

Walgreens, walgreens suggestive selling we are threatened with losing our jobs Poland Ohio

*UPDATE Employee: Partial agreement

*Consumer Comment: To the above responder

*Consumer Comment: I agree

*Consumer Comment: Suggestive selling/upselling...

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: suggestive selling from employee view

*Consumer Comment: It is very common..

*Consumer Suggestion: Find a different job then?

Walgreens does not get 100% profit from suggestive sells, the employee actually make .05 off every item, other departments make more depending on the product. Not every retailer has suggestive selling. And it is a pain to do this especially in these hard times where companies are closing people are losing their jobs and even tho they could collect unemployment , it doesn't last til you retire. We are threatened with losing our job if we don't sell a certain amount of suggestive sell items which is not right because suggestive selling means you suggest to a customer to buy your product but you can't make them buy it. If they don't want to buy the product its not our fault!!!! WE TRIED!!! The problem isn't really the suggestive selling , its the companies that take it too far with their employees. I have no problem asking people to try something but if they say no I can't tell them they have to or I will lose my job!!! And that is not fair being I don't know their financial situation.

Wagemployee
poland, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/29/2009 04:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walgreens/Poland-Ohio-44514/Walgreens-walgreens-suggestive-selling-we-are-threatened-with-losing-our-jobs-Poland-Ohi-447555. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walgreens

Partial agreement

AUTHOR: Riki - (USA)

While i agree with you stating they're in the wrong 'job', i do not agree with holding your job over your head. It's unfair and technically going against policy guidelines.

No employer is allowed to threaten you with your own job...

Suggestive sales in my town are hard to come by bc it's a primarily poor area of Delaware. I get very creative and joke with customers to get them to purchase the candy or w/e we happen to have... but even worse is 80% or more of our customers are diabetic and CAN'T eat the candy.

so how do we overcome that?? Maybe if Walgreens gave us sugar free or something cheaper than Lindt candybars or Ghirardelli.

They should think before placing those items on the SS list. they don't sell that well unless you're in a denser population. I bet Vegas would sell candy better than Smyrna, DE. Where as here in Smyrna we could maybe sell something like lotion or even firstaid better.

The company is money hungry and supposedly short on some things... but they seem to be able to keep popping up buildings... They're on a wrong track with a bad end in my opinion.

To the above responder

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

if you don't like suggestive selling, then get out of retail.

it doesn't MATTER if the customers don't want it. If you offer it to 100 people and 1 person says "sure" then you just increased sales. That is the point of it.

Most retail chains suggestive sell promotional items which are usually quite easy to get people interested in. Is it really that much of a pain to ask the customer "Could I get you a snickers with that today?"

I agree

AUTHOR: Lana - (U.S.A.)

I run into Walgreens everyday for something, and I find it stupid to ask me if I want a brownie or tea or chocolate. If I wanted that I would have got it.

Suggestive selling/upselling...

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

While I have never worked for Walgreen's, I have worked for a number of retailers as a cashier and eventually management. This practice is common and there is nothing wrong with it per se. Indeed, every manager that I have worked with gave hours to the employees who were the most productive and were the most profitable.

It's easy enough to do if you pay attention to your customer's needs. If they are buying tobacco products, ask if they need a lighter. If they are buying a 12 pack of Pepsi, point out that for another dollar or two they could get a 24 pack. If they are buying a product that uses batteries, ask if they need some. If it's a hot day, point out the sale on Gatorade or whatever cold drinks are available. If you know that your regular customer usually buys something but hasn't asked for that item today, just casually ask if they need it.

I don't see this as a ripoff.

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

suggestive selling from employee view

AUTHOR: Dogdonut - (U.S.A.)

If I wanted to be a car salesperson I would be. None of my night staff gave a sh*t about suggestive selling. They say that its hard to sell a turd! (ie-would you like these $6.00 batteries with your sale?) This has ZERO to do with "providing good customer service" and everything to try to annoy customers into buying junk they did not need or usually want.

It is very common..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

"...Not every retailer has suggestive selling..."

This is not only very common, but just about every store does this.

When was the last time you went to a Fast Food Resturant(or any Resturant) and not asked if you wanted extra items(or a larger size). Go to a shoe store and they ask if you want any extra laces or shoe polish. Go to any store and buy an electronic item or appliance and you are asked if you want to buy the "extended warranty". Go get your oil changed and you are offered additional services. Have you been to a store recently where you were not asked if you wanted to apply for a credit card or sign up for some "rewards" program?

Just as with your store, every one of these other stores(and more I probably missed) rate their employees on how well they upsell. If they have one or two employees not doing this successfully then those employees are going to have a problem.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

Find a different job then?

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

If you don't like the pressure of suggestive selling, then perhaps you work in the wrong industry. An employer is perfectly within its rights to set sales goals and require employees hit them. Its fairly common practice in the retail industry.