Complaint Review: Wall Street Journal

Nationwide USA

Wall Street Journal Bait & Switch price increase of 73% New York Nationwide

*Author of original report: Dear Unapproved

*General Comment: Unapproved??

I am a long term subscriber to WSJ and in February 2013 I was advised of a rate increase to $51.01 quarterly ($204.04 annual). Terms were automatic payment from credit card with a quarterly deduction of 51.01. I have just discovered that in April 2014 WSJ started deducting $29.42 monthly without any notification or authorization, an increase of 73% in pricing and also a change from quarterly to monthly payments.

I called customer service to request an explanation, return of excess payment and if new rate were to continue a cancellation of service. Kenny from CS indicated that 29.42 was the new rate, claimed ‘I must have overlooked notification” and he would pass on my request to another department where they would review and perhaps agree to refund excess amount. I wanted a simple resolution and asked to be transferred to or given a phone number to responsible WSJ department.. Kenny said "not possible" I said that based upon the fact that my account had been tampered with without my knowledge or consent I did not want to rely upon an unknown entity to review and respond at an undetermined date whether I was "entitled"  to my own money.  Again I was advised “not possible, will pass on to someone who will decide and contact you eventually".

More importantly, we also discussed the legality of WSJ changing the price and payment terms and then accessing my account without my permission. WSJ indicated that my original agreement allowed them to raise price and debit my account. That is definitely not true. I then sent them a copy of original offer that was sent to me in a personalized letter format. Nowhere is there any mention of a future change in price or terms.

Subsequently, WSJ denied my request for return of excess payment. As evidence of my receipt of a notification they are stating that the circulation department “claims” they sent one. When I requested any documentation or to be transferred to someone to discuss, I was advised, that information is proprietary to WSJ and can't be released.

The Wall Street Journal’s response completely ignored the fundamental issue of having no authorization to increase pricing by 73%, or to change my payment terms to monthly. As justification to keep my money WSJ then offered an unsubstantiated claim of having sent a meaningless notification concerning increase. I have now come to the belief that payment terms were changed to monthly to avoid my noticing their unapproved price increase.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/30/2014 11:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Wall-Street-Journal/nationwide/Wall-Street-Journal-Bait-Switch-price-increase-of-73-New-York-Nationwide-1166147. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Wall Street Journal

Dear Unapproved

AUTHOR: HowardT - ()

The facts speak for themselves, all the agreements, caveats, notices, etc. you assume to exist, don't. My transaction was exactly as described resulting in unauthorized access to my funds and unauthorized price increase. I believe that the reason you cancelled your paper is that facts get in your way. Have a good life.

#2 General Comment

Unapproved??

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

How exactly on any planet in ANY dimension can you sit there and say that WSJ doesn't have the right to raise the price on the product that they make. Sounds like YOU are some self-entitled dipwad who refuses to see inflation for what it is, PRICE INCREASES!!!! Odds are that you DID receive a flyer stating that your prices were going to go up, but since it wasn't in GIANT neon letters or it didn't smack you in the head and tell you to read it, YOU ignored it as junk mail. Probably thinking it was a mistake on THEIR part for sending you any information at all. I received the WSJ and I CLEARLY remember receiving a nice little post card sized item that when I opened it and READ IT, showed me that I would be paying MORE. I chose to cancel my services and I use WSJ.com instead. I save a few trees and a few bucks and the WSJ gets to keep my business. Reguardless of YOUR opinion in the matter, prices change. YOU still received your paper, YOU are expected to PAY for the product YOU used. It must be nice to know that all you have done is shown that you're a self entitled moron who doesn't READ important information when they get it. As I recall there were quite a few instances of the WSJ putting a ad in saying that the prices were going up. Guess you cant READ that either huh? Oh and before you go off on that NEW self-entitled rant. YOU DID give them permission to charge your card if there was ANY price increase. When YOU signed up for auto pay, YOU agreed in whole to ALL of the terms and conditions of the auto pay program. Which would include price changes and billing date changes. Amazing isn't it?? A grown adult who cant even READ when its to protect their own money. Its almost stupefying in the depth and scope of how much COMMON SENSE has been lost in our great land. People who we SHOULD be looking up to, to lead us into that bright and shining future cant even get off their overly plump rumps long enough to remove their heads from the same rump in order that THEY might be informed. YOU are as much of a slacker as those that YOU look down on. YOU clicked away your rights and NOW have the nerve to complain about the FACT that YOU CHOSE NOT TO READ!!!! Why do you even bother trying to read a paper if you couldn't even read the T&C of what YOU agreed to?? Do the entire world a favor and READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No ripoff here just the USUAL consumer BS about having to pay what they owe. This poster clicked away ANY rights and has the nerve to WHINE about it. Just because you have an account with them doesn't make it YOUR account. Its THEIR account that THEY allow you to use. Maybe this poster would be better served by staying OFF the web until they learn reading comprehension.