Complaint Review: Walmart / MoneyGram Money Order Services

• Submitted: Fri, July 16, 2010
  • Updated: Mon, September 13, 2010

• Reported By: John — Murrieta California United States of America
Walmart / MoneyGram Money Order Services
41200 Murrieta Hot Springs Rd Murrieta, California 92562 Internet United States of America

Walmart / MoneyGram Money Order Services Walmart Financial Services Money Orders issued by Walmart with the title Moneygram Money orders are not accepted by banks or finacial institutions for payment. When the money orders are returned to walmart for a refund Internet

*Consumer Comment: One thing you are missing

*Author of original report: Response from Silverbear64

*Consumer Comment: Dani, Walmart obviously had a policy where it was okay to take out secret life insurance policies on their employees because anyone can 'Google' this- WALMART WANTS YOU DEAD, and watch that video....

*UPDATE Employee: It's not just us

*Consumer Comment: Walmart should still refund the money

*UPDATE Employee: Walmart's policy on money orders

*Consumer Comment: two questions

I purchased a Money order from Walmart in Murrieta, California.  I presented the money order to pay a bill.  The money order was returned with a letter that said the Money order was not acceptable form of payment.  I returned the money order to Walmart, with the receipt stub - but Walmart refused to refund my money.

On the back side of the money order there is a section titled Purchaser's agreement.  The agreement states: "You, the purchaser agree to immediately complete the money order by filling in the front of the money order signing and addressing it at the bottom.  The terms of this money order bind you, your heirs, or others who receive this money order from you."

In compliance with the terms of the money order, I filled in all of the blanks on the front of the money order.

When I presented the money order to Walmart for a refund they denied the refund - with the statement that the money order is third party.  (First party would be me - my name is on the money order and I had the receipt stub, second party would be the person who I issued the money order to, third party would be another party to whom the money order was later issued - so I am not the third party - I am the first party).  Walmart would hear nothing of it and would not refund my money.

Walmart does not honor their own money orders - and it appears many - if not all other financial institutions also do not honor Walmart's money orders.  Further - Walmart will not refund your money for a Walmart issued Money order.

The post office is the proper place to buy a money order - not walmart.  It appears to me that Walmart is issuing bad checks.  They are so bad that Walmart will not even take them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/16/2010 06:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walmart-MoneyGram-Money-Order-Services/internet/Walmart-MoneyGram-Money-Order-Services-Walmart-Financial-Services-Money-Orders-issued-by-624004. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walmart / MoneyGram Money Order Services

One thing you are missing

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

The Money Order is NOT from Wal-Mart it is from MoneyGram  The reason they are having you pay $15 is because that is what MoneyGram charges.

In Addition, Walmart is missing the big picture here. This is simply a customer service problem. I purchased something from Walmart - and they refused to return my money when the item did not perform as expected

Sorry but it's not that simple.  Walmart has no idea if the Money Order has been cashed..yes you have the original but with the amount of fraud with MoneyGrams there is no way that they know if it has already been paid or not.  You would find that if the same thing happened from any other store it would be the same process.  I am by no means a fan of Walmart, but your issue is probably more with Moneygram.  And your only option is probably to pay the $15 fee.

You mention the Post Office replacing a Money Order.  Yes, you are correct they will.  But because it is a USPS Money Order and you got it from the USPS.  By the way they charge $5.40 to process a replacement.

Just a couple of other points.  It is not Walmart's fault(or Moneygram for that matter) that the company you attempted to send it to does not accept them.  When ever you send a new type of payment to a company you should always verify that they accept it in advance.  As for the 1st/2nd/3rd party checks, it may be a little hard to see where they are coming from, but you are not the 1st party.  The money is drawn on the Moneygram account..not an account "owned" by you.  So for the purposes of these MoneyGrams they are the 1st party.  You wrote it out to a payee, and that payee is the 2nd party.  Thus you are the 3rd party.

Oh, and why the company won't accept Moneygrams.  It is because of the large amount of fraud with them.  Use your favorite search engine and type in "MoneyGram fraud", you may be surprised how much information you find.

Response from Silverbear64

AUTHOR: Silverbear64 - (United States of America)

Walmart, through their spokesperson Dani, is misstating several facts:

First, the post office does not say that they will not replace money orders, and in fact they say the opposite:  The post office says: "The USPS replaces without charge a defective money order or one that is damaged during imprinting or customer completion."

Second, I as the purchaser of the money order am not a third party. If I purchase the money order I am the First party.  The Second party is the party to whom I have made the money order payable.  A third party is someone to whom the second party endorses the money order.  There was no second party endorsement, and therefore there was no third party.  When I presented the money order to Walmart -- I had the money order and the money order receipt ( the perforated part that is to be removed by the purchaser prior to presentation to the payee) as well as the cash register receipt from Walmart.  I was the first party - not a third party.

Third, as originally mentioned in the post:  I filled the money order out correctly - as required by the money order sold to me by Walmart.  I met all of their requirements as stated on the money order.  And Walmart still refused to return the money.  Walmart - through their spokesperson, Dani, is referring to policies that do not exist - the policy in effect is that which stated on the money order.

In Addition, Walmart is missing the big picture here.  This is simply a customer service problem.  I purchased something from Walmart - and they refused to return my money when the item did not perform as expected.  Walmart refused to return my money even though I met all of the requirements for a return.  Walmart's spokesperson, Dani's posts support this statement of the facts.  She clearly stated that Walmart's policy is to not return the money for a money order that is completely filled out.  And it is that policy that is the problem here.  That is the rip-off.  I was required to perform as I did - and then they refused to return my money because I performed that way.

That is why I filed a rip-off report.  I want other people to understand - that Walmart WILL NOT return their money if they purchase a money order from Walmart.  Additionally, many merchants who routinely accept payments by check and/or money order will not accept Moneygram money orders.

Finally, the MoneyGram claim card, which Walmart's spkesperson Dani referred to in her post is not for a return of a rejected money order.  The card, which was given to me by Walmart is for a replacement of a lost or stolen Money order.  And Walmart forgot to add - in their post - that it costs fifteen dollars to have it processed.

I reported the incident to Walmart's district Manager in the area in which I live - but my call was never returned.  Walmart forgot to menetion that, too.

on the web, right?

Don't forget to 'Google' this- WALMARTS DEAD PEASANT SUIT AGAINST INSURERS ESCAPES THE GRAVE, and read the related articles on the web.

******************************* SONG ALERT *******************************

*There are at least 5 songs available at the BANK OF AMERICA page of this site. They appear in the Updates section.

It's not just us

AUTHOR: Dani - (USA)

No, they shouldn't.  It's specifically stated in Walmart policy that we do NOT cash third party checks, because of our licensing limitations and because of the possibility of it being fraudulent.  We are definitely not the only company weary of third-party checks, and with good reason.  Many banks won't accept a third party check either unless the other person is there with ID to sign it over, and even the USPS site says they do not refund postal money orders. Maybe the OP should have looked into the company before to make sure they accepted money orders.

Walmart should still refund the money

AUTHOR: Skiper - (USA)

If I purchase a money order from the Post Office and I return the MO back to the Post Office, wouldn't I get my money back?  If I purchase a cashier check from a bank, and I return the cashier check back to the bank, woulnd't I also get my money back?  Then I should expect a refund from Walmart since the money order has not been cashed, and the one who bought the money order in the first place is returning it back to Walmart.  After hearing this, I will not buy any money orders from Walmart.

Walmart's policy on money orders

AUTHOR: Dani - (USA)

No, it's not a ripoff.  The company you sent it to probably does not accept money orders to begin with.  And it seems like it was already written out to the company, so yes, it's considered a third party check.  Walmart will ONLY cash Walmart issued money orders less than 30 days old, and it has to be written out to either you or Walmart, and it has to clear through Certegy.  The only way you can get a refund when already written out to a third party is through mailing a claim card to Moneygram.

two questions

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

"Money orders are not accepted by banks or finacial institutions for payment."

You noted that only one company would not accept the money order. How do you know that banks will not accept it? Maybe that one company does not accept money orders, not just a MoneyGram money order.

Have you considered opening a checking account?