• Report: #301912

• Submitted: Sun, January 20, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, February 25, 2008

• Reported By:Winter Haven Florida
Walmart SuperCenter
7450 Cypress Gardens Blvd. Winter Haven, Florida U.S.A.

Wal-Mart SuperCenter Be proactive when checking out at Wal-Mart! Winter Haven Florida

*Consumer Comment: Hey, which Wal-Mart was this?

*UPDATE Employee: Stewartloo... What usually prompts a policy change/amendment/induction???

*Consumer Comment: The copyrite excuse is a crock

*Consumer Suggestion: they could have poseted a sign

I was shocked when my same incident turned up a minute ago in a Yahoo search!

I don't mind following any store's policies, but is it asking too much for the policies to be posted before I purchase the merchandise? While Christmas shopping I picked up a paperback book for me. The title seemed familiar and when I got home I realized it indeed was a book I already had.

When I tried to return the book, which was clearly unread, sticker still on, with the receipt in my hand, I was told books couldn't be returned as it was against copyright laws...huh?

An assistant manager was called and this policy was repeated. Okay I responded and gave the book away on the spot. Then I went and looked over the book section...no return policy was in view.

When I got home I called the store and asked for the name of the assistant manager, and the district manager's name and phone number. When asked why I wanted this, I explained the situation. The employee on the phone stated that this was Wal-Mart's policy...to not allow books to be returned.

Well, two points need to be clarified. First, does Wal-Mart make so much money on books that they are afraid to post their non-refundable book policy in the book section or on the receipt for fear of profits taking a nosedive?

Second, this being "Wal-Mart's policy" is a far cry from this being "against copyright laws." I could fully accept Wal-Mart's policy on this matter if it had been made known prior to my purchase.

Furthermore, it seems to me this is the second time a return has been refused by Wal-Mart. My son tried to return a skirt for me (receipt in hand). Their excuse then was that the 30-day time limit had passed. However I don't remember ever seeing a 30-day time limit posted at the service counter, just a 90-day time limit. Perhaps it is posted somewhere...I don't recall.

I am now afraid to purchase anything from Wal-Mart. I will probably have to have a store manager review every item in my shopping cart prior to checking out at the cash register and then sign the receipt in case I need to return an item.

I'd rather be proactive than have to be told a bold-faced lie at the return desk. Shame on you Wal-Mart.

Suzanne
Winter Haven, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/20/2008 08:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walmart-SuperCenter/Winter-Haven-Florida-33884/Wal-Mart-SuperCenter-Be-proactive-when-checking-out-at-Wal-Mart-Winter-Haven-Florida-301912. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walmart SuperCenter

AUTHOR: Destructo - (U.S.A.)

It does make sense they wouldn't accept a return for a book, simple because you could read it, and bring it back. They would lose money. Actually, it's common sense.

AUTHOR: Havoc525 - (U.S.A.)

Not sure of the address' of them, so, is this the newer Wal-Mart down by Highway 27, or the older one, down by the Orange Dome?

AUTHOR: Havoc525 - (U.S.A.)

Stewartloo... What usually prompts a policy change/amendment/induction???

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

The answer to that is lawsuits....

lawsuits don't only have to come from people to companies, they can also go company to company. Wal-Mart recently broke ties with a few different publishers because of the strong copyright "grudge" they were holding... (which publisher, i have no idea, i just read about it on the WIRE, the online reference for our workplace)

We have to keep these policies in place to avoid lawsuit...

Thanks for understanding

The copyrite excuse is a crock

AUTHOR: Stewartloo - (U.S.A.)

If their policy is due to a copyright law then it should be universal and apply to all books- just as it does to CD's and games etc. I have returned unread books to Meijers and Borders. If this is a copyright law then why isn't it applied to other stores.

#10 Consumer Suggestion

they could have poseted a sign

AUTHOR: Nancy - (U.S.A.)

I know that cds and software are not returnable if the package is not open but I was not sure about books, but it does make since. However Walmart SHOULD put a sign in the book department stating that they are not returnable.. BUt then again, I think judging by a lot of the complaints on here MOST people do not even read the signs anyway.