Complaint Review: Walmart Tire And Lube Express

• Submitted: Fri, November 21, 2003
  • Updated: Fri, July 17, 2009

• Reported By:Manhattan Kansas
Walmart Tire And Lube Express
628 Tuttle Creek Blvd. Manhattan, Kansas U.S.A.

Walmart Tire And Lube Express ripoff, not helpful, rude, bad oil changes, ruin car Manhattan Kansas

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Agree About Checking Oil

*Consumer Comment: You should have checked your oil

I took my car to walmart to get my oil changed like the many time before. Except this time it didnt go as planned. On a monday in Nov. I was driving my 1999 Saturn Sl2, and very reliable car. The oil light started blinking so i went to the gas station to put some oil in it even though it wasn't close to a oil change. All of a sudden my car died. I didn't know what happend. I called my dad and we tried to drop the clutch in it. It didn't start. My dad tried to convince me that the engine had seized up, but i didn't want to hear it. I needed that car. I have a disabled daughter and I need my car to get her to her appointments and things. So not listening to my dad i thought if i just added oil to it, the car would work. So i bought two quarts of oil hopeing it would start of course it didn't.

I called walmart, I still had 500 miles left to drive on my car before the oil was to be changed. I didn't understand what was going on. I had no sign of leaks or burning to much oil. A manager and a oil tech came and looked at my car. They said we see NO OIL LEAKS. They asked if I had a mechanic. I told them no. They said they could have to car towed to a place Auto Craft behind walmart. I told them I didn't have to money to get the car towed. They told me "dont worry about it will get it towed to them". I told them "ok". The car was towed to Auto Craft.

Auto Craft told me the engine was seized up and that to tear apart the engine and have a expert look at it I would need consent from walmart and consent from myself. I called walmart and asked them for consent.The manager that came and looked at the car told me I need to call 1-800-Walmart to talk to the insurance claimes person to get consent and to see what they were going to do about the car. I called and talked to a lady, I told her the story and she told me that she would probally deny my claim. I asked her why and she said because I added oil to the car. She said there must have been a leak or the car burned to much oil and that it wasn't and couldn't be there fault. She said she needed to talk to the manager at the store to hear what he had to say, then she would call me back. She called me back in 45 min. She said she was denying my claim. She said that I had been coming to them since Jan. of 2002 and that my oil was low every time I came in. I told her it was sure funny that She said I had been coming to walmart to get my oil changed since Jan 02 when I didn't even live in the state of kansas in Jan of 02. I did't move back to kansas until July of 02 and i didn't start taking my car to them until Oct. 02. I lived in CT for almost a year. YOU do the MATH!! I told her I understood that she was denying my claim, but that I still wanted consent from Walmart so that Auto Craft could tear apart my engine to prove there wrong doing. I even to her I would pay for the tear down of the engine. I said if it was there fault they would pay for it.

She said NO!!! I asked her what they were trying to hide, she said NOTHING,and that she wasn't giving consent. I couldn't believe it. I even got tricked into taking my car to Auto Craft. A mechanic at Auto Craft told me that he Got alot of work from Walmart. How convienent they have there own Cover-It-Up Mechanic.

What makes me sick is that we only had 5,000 left to pay on it and about 7 months before this happend we filed bankrupcy. So we had to tell the car company we volunteer repo our car. We couldn't afford to pay for someone elses mistake. But we are still going to have to pay. Bad credit, and the money left after they sell the car.

I trusted Walmart. I trusted the people. I spend about 200 dollars a MONTH at walmart. And around Christmas 500 or more. The lady at walmart told me "I should of checked my oil before I left to make sure it was ok."

Why should I check somone elses work when i pay them to do a job and to do it RIGHT. They get paid to do there job dont they?

I want Walmart to admit there fault and pay for there mistakes. Just cause there millionaires it doesnt mean they DONT MAKE MISTAKES. I understand people make mistakes, but when you make a mistake and you know it don't lie about it, FIX IT.

Manhattan, Kansas

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Wal-mart

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/21/2003 01:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walmart-Tire-And-Lube-Express/Manhattan-Kansas-66502/Walmart-Tire-And-Lube-Express-ripoff-not-helpful-rude-bad-oil-changes-ruin-car-Manhatt-72628. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walmart Tire And Lube Express

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Agree About Checking Oil

AUTHOR: J.r. - (U.S.A.)

I agree with the rebuttle above about checking your oil, If your car was loosing oil between oil changes there is obviously a problem with the vehicle.
Also when they Pull video of the technician servicing the vehicle and nothing is wrong during the service (as far as with what the technician was doing during the service) then to the best of their knowledge when your vehicle left it was done and complete properly. If that is the case then you will not likely be covered by their claims devision. Their claims devision will check reccords from any wal-mart tire and lube facility you have visited.

You do have to remember these technicians are trained in house and only about what to do concerning a lube oil filter service and are not the same as a mechanic in a qualified Auto Repair Facility like the one they reccomended you to go to.
Most Tire and Lube Express facilities have certain shops that give them a good deal on work and therefore send work there. It is not usually (usually because I cannot comment directly for a place I was not working directly for) because that place will cover up for them - no company even wal-mart would truely want a cover up because that would cost them more money in the end than just fixing the problem.

Simple and cheap fixes will normally be taken care of at store/shop level anything over a certain amount will go through alot of scrutiny and therefore only be paid if there is enough proof the store was responsible - if they did nothing wrong and your car was loosing oil somewhere without leaking it then there is obviously something wrong and the car should be taken to a proper repair facility and diagnosed.

You should have checked your oil

AUTHOR: James - (Singapore)

checked your oil on weekly basis and immediately
after you have had your car serviced to be on the safe side.
Here is what probably happend, The moron (he's not a mechanic) never put the rquired amount of oil your car because he got busy or was picking his nose.