• Report: #200070

• Submitted: Sun, July 09, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, April 22, 2008

• Reported By:Bryan Texas
Walmart
2200 Briarcrest Dr Bryan, Texas U.S.A.

Walmart Accused me of shoplifing a generator ripoff Bryan Texas

*Consumer Suggestion: I have heard of this before

*Consumer Comment: Not surprised...

*Consumer Comment: Of COURSE they busted you!

*Consumer Comment: shoplifter

*Consumer Suggestion: you said you looked at your cell phone for the time

*Consumer Comment: I call BS.

*Consumer Comment: Go ahead and sue Walmart

*Consumer Comment: I'm happy for you both.

*Consumer Comment: Glad everything worked out for you J

*Author of original report: UPDATE

*Author of original report: UPDATE

*Consumer Comment: WALLMART SUCKS!

*Consumer Comment: Innocent until proven guilty in the United States still applies.

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Court

*Consumer Suggestion: Why is everyone ignoring the most important thing?

*Consumer Suggestion: Why is everyone ignoring the most important thing?

*Consumer Comment: Bravo Scooter Boy!!

*Consumer Suggestion: Common sense well noted!

*Consumer Comment: Increased awareness.

*Consumer Suggestion: Common Sense Prevails

*Consumer Comment: I agree--it is about character

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: A Lot Of Different Aspects Of This Situation

*Consumer Comment: Nice Cover Story

*Consumer Comment: How about some common sense ..

*Consumer Comment: MESSAGE FOR PETER

*Consumer Comment: Message to J

*Consumer Comment: I am not qualified to advise the OP but

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Definition of Shoplifting

*Consumer Comment: check up on the laws

*Consumer Suggestion: It is not theft in any state

*Consumer Suggestion: Personally, I like Steve's answer - don't shop at wal-mart

*Consumer Comment: So then....

*Consumer Comment: your best defense

*Consumer Suggestion: Possible Solutions to Wal-Mart's aggressive Loss Control Policies

*Consumer Comment: To John from Georgia

*Consumer Comment: A couple of points here...

*Consumer Comment: Charles ...I must acknowledge your comment on this report

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Dallas, your post is a little confussing...

*Consumer Comment: keep posting

*Consumer Comment: Keep us posted.

*Consumer Comment: You give a lot of advice................

*Consumer Comment: Oh puhlease!!

*Consumer Comment: Walmart NEVER puts expensive items outside?

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: I Would Not Have Tried It 3 Times

*Consumer Comment: You may not be a thief.

*Consumer Suggestion: heres the deal

*Consumer Suggestion: Don't listen to Peter from Nowhere

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: I except responsibility for my actions

*Consumer Comment: Hard to see both sides

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: More to think about

*Consumer Comment: You were in the wrong.

*Consumer Comment: Such nonsense ...

*Consumer Suggestion: You need your day in court.

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Peter - Pony, Alabama

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Mike - Radford, Virginia

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: My response to you

*Consumer Suggestion: Don't act suspicios, there's less reason to suspect you.

*Consumer Comment: What gives you the right??

Back in April of this year I was doing business in my local Walmart. Made my bank deposit (some of the money was for a generator), picked up my medication (ms contin, and took one of the pills)and went to pick out a generator that my wife and I had talked about. We were to meet each other back in the front of the store in 30 min's by either the pharmacy area or the checkouts.

Well I was looking at the 2 generators they were selling and I had decieded to get the bigger generator (the last one the had of that model), it was not that much more and I figured my wife would agree but wanted to ask her anyways. Well I still had some time to kill so I went out to play around with their riding mowers and such (a guy thing I guess you could say).

Well walmart keeps them just outside the gate in the garden department. I started out the gates and a lady asked me for a receipt, I explained to her that I had not paid for it yet and was just going out side the gates no further than the mower area (something I have done many times before, looking at flowers, potting soil, and other plants). She told me that they had moved them inside the store next to a second door along with the weed eaters, so I turned around and headed that way. After getting to the area she mentioned I did not see any riding mowers but they did have weed-eaters & push mowers and my weed-eater is getting old and I have to leave it choked sometimes to get it to run.

After checking out the weed-eaters I checked my phone for the time and had noticed more time had gone by than I thought so I headed to our meeting place. She was not in front of the pharmacy or in the general area that I could see so I went up to the register area. I walked through the center of the self check-outs (about the only place you can walk threw seeing everything in the checkout area) looking for my wife and son and stopped in the front of the store for a few min's and waited.

I guess after a few min's 4 or 5 I would say I figured I would check to see if she had gone to the car or was shopping outside for stuff they put on the sidewalk, so I went threw the first door and stopped breifly for a sec to tell the lady what I was going to do but she was checking a guys bags because the alarm had went off.

Well I figured I would just step just outside the door so I could see the car clearly and both ways on the sidewalks and stopped I would say 4 or 6 ft from the door so I would not be in anybodies way exiting the store but I was still behind the red poles in front of the store within feet of stuff they sell their. I guess about 10 sec's past and I was again asked for my receipt, I told the two security guys I had not paid for the item yet and was looking for my son and wife. They told me that I needed to bring the generator back in the store and I told them no problem.

After getting back inside the door I was asked to come with them to the back of the store. Well after a few min's of being in their security room I was told they were going to file charges for theft or shoplifting.

I tried to explain to them that I was not trying to steal the generator, I had just made a deposit to cover the purchase (over 700.00 dollars and there was 3700.00 in that account and over 2000.00 in another) but they were not going to liten to anything I had to say. I explained to them I would never do this that they could even check with the bank located there in walmart. Although I am currently in-active with TDCJ-ID for a WC injury I am still considered an employee and this type of charge would complacate me in going back to my job once they are finished doing surgies. I do what I can to help people all the time, do free or very cheap computer work, sell stuff at just about my cost and sometime sell at cost, volenteer at the fire department, worked with the sheriff's depart in the past, etc.

I do not steal or shoplift. My landlord even told me that night after getting bailed out that he would have re-embursed me for the cost because I was going to be using it on his property.

The security officer told my wife that this was probobly a mistake but I did try and walk out two doors. I mean their own security gaurd does not even believe it 100% but they are going ahead with charges. I did nothing that day I had not done many times before there as well as Lowes & Home Depot. I could see their point if I was going across the parking lot but I was behind the red poles that protect the doors from cars driving into the store.

This is unreal and keeps me up at night, my doctor has even put me on ativan along with my other 13 medictions 5 of which are norcotic. Although this is a quick summury this is what happened to me. I am pretty sure I got all the things correct but it is late and my meds are taking effect.

Please forgive all the mis-spellings. I need my spell checker, lol

J
Bryan, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/09/2006 04:02 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walmart/Bryan-Texas-77809/Walmart-Accused-me-of-shoplifing-a-generator-ripoff-Bryan-Texas-200070. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walmart

#1 Consumer Suggestion

I have heard of this before

AUTHOR: Link - (U.S.A.)

With out a doubt tell them to go ahead and file their charges you are willing to fight this all the way and will demand a trial by jury.

The company will have to prove beyong a doubt you did what they say you did they know this and will basically fully rely on you just taking a deal and giving up.

The first sniff they get that you are going all the way and that they would have to prove 'without a single doubt in 12 jury members mind that their evidence is powerfull and over whelming that you did what they accuse you off I think you will find they will drop the charge due to the fact its simply not worth it time and money to pursue a weak case..

From what I have seen there is no way they could convince a jury of what was going on in your mind unless or your intentions unless they have a camera showing you and your family running like crazy to your car with them in hot pursuit or a camera showing you loading it into your car after looking suspicious for half hour or so neither of which they have.

Fight it dont take a deal and use a court appointed lawyer dont spend one single dime on a lawyer.

Not surprised...

AUTHOR: J.m. - (U.S.A.)

Well, I have a story that you may find very interesting. I have a friend in Florida who went to her Walmart when she had a horrible cold. She had other shopping to do so she went to the cold and flu isle, got some cough syrup and in order to get through the rest of her shopping without coughing up a lung, she took some right there in the isle. She put the bottle back in the box and proceeded down the isles to finish her shopping. When she got to the checkout, she put the open box of syrup on the conveyor belt along with her other food items. Do you know a security guard came up and arrested the 74 year old woman for shoplifting all because she took some cough syrup doses while she shopped? Yes, they did.... and the charges were dropped as well.

I really wish that Walmart would save their "prosecution efforts" to people who are REALLY stealing...not throw their weight around like Miami Vice gone bad, harassing little old ladies.

As for walking out with the generator.... Wow, I worked for Sam Goody and Camelot Records in the asset protection area and we would have busted you, too. You were attempting to leave the store with merchandise. Now that's a no-go. You should not have stepped out to where the carts are much less where the red barricades are -- because that is considered stealing.

Usually security people are fairly relaxed when it comes to things of this nature; however, I can see Walmart's point. If they had went through with the charges you would have had a misdemeanor at best but why take the chance.

Cell phones are wonderfully handy devices -- and you could have CALLED your wife as opposed to going outside to see if she was in the car. I call my boyfriend all the time in Walmart when we get separated and I've never been accosted for shoplifting.

Next time -- use the cell phone to find your spouse -- don't just go waltzing out of the store. That will keep you out of court and out of the security office because those black bubbles in the ceiling are cameras....and they are ON and monitored.

Cheers to you!

Of COURSE they busted you!

AUTHOR: Rj - (U.S.A.)

J,
You walk out of the store with merchandise that has yet to be purchased and you expect the security staff to "check your bank account" to see how much money you have? ARE YOU KIDDING? I used to work in loss prevention and I've detained people with a lot more money in their accounts than you and I will ever have put together.

When I say detained I mean stopping and holding them for the crime of RETAIL THEFT, which by the way J, is leaving the last point of payment with merchandise that you have not paid for yet which sounds to me is exactly what you did.

Now, you have a background with the fire department and sheriff's department. That means absolutely NOTHING.

J, no offense buddy, but you really have to pay attention to the world around you and realize that the world does not know what J is thinking and the men that run the Walmart security department don't have crystal balls that tell them who's looking for their wife and intending to pay and who's making their getaway with thousands of dollars worth of goods.

My guess is, you're going to get convicted of retail theft and, given the circumstances, you deserve it. Look, I'm no fan of Walmart but theft is theft. Unless you have prior convictions you probably won't do any time in the county jail but if you do....they bologna sandwiches aren't bad if you dip them in the orange punch.

shoplifter

AUTHOR: Jaherrera - (U.S.A.)

Honestly, you met all the elements in order for loss prevention and that particular business to file criminal charges. In Texas, district attorneys require a person to "pass the last point of sale" (register) in order for a situation to considered theft. You did just that. Why would anyone exit a store with any merchandise that is not paid for is stupid and absolutely theft. I advise you to take theft classes and or volunteer in order to prove your willingness to be a better citizen. This will look favorable in your court case.

Much luck,
JAHerrera

#5 Consumer Suggestion

you said you looked at your cell phone for the time

AUTHOR: Tinman05 - (U.S.A.)

Maybe you should have just called your wife . If you have a cell more than likely she does to. Oh and the I have money comment! CMON give me a break , (for lack of a better anallogy) that's like a rascist saying "I'm not a rascist I have Black Friends" My apollogies to any who might be offended.

I call BS.

AUTHOR: Don - (U.S.A.)

I don't work for Wal-Mart, but have done store security for 10 years.
I wish I had a nickle for every shoplifter I've arrested who were "Just going to my car" or "Forgot my wallet outside" or "Just going out to show my friend"
Add to the fact you did this with a generator?

You passed the point of sale, you exited the store, once you're past the first set of doors they can arrest you.

Like most shoplifters I catch you also threw around how much money you have, yipee. Most I catch have money. And they tell me so.

I love the fact you added you had to be medicated after this event. Nice touch to your story. Seriously, I had a tear in my eye.

Bravo!

Go ahead and sue Walmart

AUTHOR: Jame - (U.S.A.)

J,
Congratulations on having the charges dropped. As for all the people who made it sound as if you were a criminal shame on them. The door greeters are in fact there to greet the customers. That is there main job. A secondary task is for them to check baskets on occasion when the bell rings or they just feel like it. Having worked at Wal-Mart I know this first off.

Wal-Mart is in the wrong for assuming J was trying to steal anything. Just by watching him on camera I would have to imagine anyone with common sense would wait until he actually was in route to his car to say anything to him about trying to steal something. Maybe you, the Wal-Mart supporter, who is bashing him should ask yourself if buying a game controller that is used would be theft by Wal-Mart, from you, the customer because the property is supposed to be new. I myself have bought supposedly a new game controller and guess what when I took it home it did not work and had black tape around the cord where it was cut when someone else had used it. The fact is that Wal-Mart repackages items returned that have been used. They sell them for the same price. You the supporter of Wal-Mart I ask you, is that right for Wal-Mart to do?

I'm happy for you both.

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

You for winning your case, and Walmart because I'm sure you won't go outside with a cart-full of goods without paying for it first and causing all this misunderstanding.

Glad everything worked out for you J

AUTHOR: Sean - (U.S.A.)

Glad the case was dismissed. It's too bad you had to go through this ordeal in the first place. Yet another reason why I don't shop at Walmart.

UPDATE

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

I told you all that I would report back when the case was over, well it is.

The case was dismissed, charges dropped, DA threw it out. Walmart employee's lied multiable times, kept changing their stories, erased the tapes, so on and so on. Their last lie they told is the one I think got it threw out, said they thought I had someone outside and thought I was going to throw it in the back of a truck. This would have been hard to do since we came in a car and my wife and son were still in the store but still went ahead with the arrest after they learned this. This goes to show that the big retail giant will do what ever it takes to to make a poster child out of anybody they want, and unless you have the money to fight them you are going to take it up the pupp shoot. Shame, Shame Walmart..

May talk to another attorney about filing a case against them but figure it is going to be a waste of time, they will just appeal it if I win and not going to see anything from them but more money spent and more of my time waisted for nothing.

For all of you that understood my point I thank you, good to know there are still people that believe in people being honest. For the others that thought I was guilty, well maybe someday this will happen to you or something like this and you will know how it feels, and if it does good luck, you will need it.

I learned a few things today about our legal system, it sucks. When big companies can push people around and charge them with what ever they want costing them thousands of dollars, it is wrong. Just because they may have a theft problem does not give them the right to accuse anybody they want of a crime. When I go back to my job at TDCJ I will look at the people their a little different, there may be a few people that have gotten caught up in a big sham to justify a job or what ever reason these people do what they do.

But I am finally going to get a good night sleep for the first time in over 6 months. Good luck to anybody that Walmart or any other big retailer tries to stick it to you. Goodnight all...

UPDATE

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

I told you all that I would report back when the case was over, well it is.

WALLMART SUCKS!

AUTHOR: My - (U.S.A.)

I have left my cart to shop outside and it was
put away!

An hour and a half worth of shopping, left the cart near the garden center for 10 mins to shop in there outside area. Ya, pi**ed off is saying it mildly! I avoid Wall Mart as much as possible but if I ever have to go outside for somthing, the cart comes with! I would love for a similar situation to happen to me. I'd build my new house in there parking lot.

Security should have watched you a while longer, being suspicious is not being guilty.

Return as much stuff to wall Mart as you can and spend the $ on an attorny and head to the bank!

If your intentions were to steal it, shame on you, you'll be caught at some point.

I look forward to the outcome.

Innocent until proven guilty in the United States still applies.

AUTHOR: Raymond - (U.S.A.)

"Shoplifting laws generally define shoplifting as taking or intentionally paying less for an item. Shoplifting can include carrying, hiding, concealing, or otherwise manipulating merchandise with the intent of taking it or paying less for it. Shoplifting laws also consider it unlawful to charge price tags, commit refund fraud, remove a shopping cart or any other commercial property from a store location, or intentionally using an illegitimate form of payment. People can be prosecuted for acting with intent to shoplift even if the shoplifting was not fully carried out."

You are innocent until proven guilty in the United States. In this situation and according to the Penal Code, that I copied from one of your earlier post, you have admitted your guilt in your statements here. The Penal Code that you provided states "Shoplifting laws generally define, Shoplifting as (and the key word follows) taking". Forget what follows as the intent. The intent is presumed because it was taken or carried outside of the store, away from where it normally sits inside. Forget about the items that are outside because this is not where you found the item that you took.

Now as to common sense, you yourself even stated that as you went to leave you started to tell the greeter what you were going to do and they were involved with someone that the set off the security sensors at the door. This should have told you that once you get past that area with something that is not paid for is a no-no.

Now as to being involved with TDCJ and have worked for the Sheriff's Department you should have been aware of how laws work and what the outcome would be for your actions.

It is because of your statement that you worked with the TDCJ and the Sheriff's Department that makes me believe that you did have the intent to steal this generator. Not to ignore that you had been previously stopped by an employee at the garden area trying to walk out with it.

Now personally I think that you were an idiot for posting on this sight. This does not help your case it only hurts it. If someone from the DA's office were to get their hands on this and track you down through the web sight it would not help your case, but people always love stupid crimminal stories.

#14 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Cynthia - (U.S.A.)

I did work for wal-mart at one time and according to the security people once a person has left the store with merchandise and it is not paid for it is considered stealing. They are not allowed to stop you while you are still in the store but once you pass the doors then they have the right to detain you if you cannot produce proof of purchase. I believe that this was an honest mistake and they should have not carried it this far. Believe me, the few years i worked for them I saw a lot. Theives will try anything to get out of the store with unpaid for merchandise. But once you proved your point with them they should have let it go. Needless to say I no longer work for this company because they have gotten to greedy and the customer service is not near as good as it use to be. hope all works out for you.

#15 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#16 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#17 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#18 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Court

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

It has not gone to court as of yet, and from what I am hearing from my attornies it may not. But if it does we will be ready to defend my case to the very end. I have all my witinesses together, written statements, etc... of course no tapes from Wally World, what a shock since the tapes verify what I have been saying all along. But I will be happy to let everybody know what happens.

And Peter, I am sure I speak for a lot of the people here but please go away. You attack anybody that does not see things your way, you cannot even be honest to your true location. I do not know why you feel you must hide, maybe because you go around attacking people that just voice their oppionion. We all know what you think by now, you have made your views quite clear.

I do not know if this will be allowed but you may E-mail me at: ((( email redacted by ROR)))if you care to voice your views in any way you want. Being censord by an op is not always best.

But I would like to thank you all for your honest oppions on this case, is always good to know how people will view this that do not know you. From what I can see the overall view is approx. 50/50 which is better than I figured it would be, is good enough for reasonable doubt in this case. But this will be my last post until the trial or outcome of this case. Take care all, I hope this never happens to you.

#19 Consumer Suggestion

Why is everyone ignoring the most important thing?

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

Does no one else find it strange that he feels the need to leave countless stores on countless occassions?

This guy said he goes to numerous retailers and has to tell them that he is leaving the store with unpaid merchandise, and he does this SO OFTEN, that he actually ANNOYS THE PEOPLE!!!

Is there ANY need to do this so often?

No! This guy is simply testing the system because he is high on drugs and he is bored out of his friggin mind.

#20 Consumer Suggestion

Why is everyone ignoring the most important thing?

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

Is there ANY need to do this so often?

Bravo Scooter Boy!!

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

What a wonderful example you made for the original poster here ... It sounds like you have not only common sense but also a law-abiding way about you. Perhaps if others followed your example, people like the original poster would not be facing criminal charges relating to Walmart.

#22 Consumer Suggestion

Common sense well noted!

AUTHOR: Tom - (U.S.A.)

Peter I will take your common sense statement as very good advice and if everyone used it on a regular basis, the world would be a better place. Don't misunderstand me, I am not trying to justify Bryan's actions. I have my own opinions about what the proper actions should have been when Bryan visited the Wal-Mart store, but I do believe Bryan has already been well schooled on it already! Only the legal system will have the final say as to Bryan's guilt or innocence!

I guess the only point that I was trying to make, for what it is worth, was that even if an item is considered, high ticket or inexpensive, low-risk item, out front past the main door, or in the deli section, the consequences of your action can have serious repercussions and it doesn't matter how much it may be worth. Furthermore, it doesn't matter how much money you have in your bank account, or what type of medication you are on; you need to use that common sense that Peter has such a good grasp on!

I guess maybe I have seen too many Most Stupid Criminals shows and maybe I should tone it down a little. They must all be just actors and nobody would be stupid enough to try and snag a riding mower right out from under the noses of well trained Wal-Mart employees.

Anyway, good reading material and lots of interesting views on human nature and other people's vase knowledge on what is right and wrong.

Increased awareness.

AUTHOR: M (FlyingScooter) - (U.S.A.)

Last weekend my girlfriend and i went to Walmart. They had a huge sidewalk sale going on.

We had a few things in the cart and my girlfriend proceeded to go out the doors with the cart.

I stopped her and she said why, i want to see what they have out there.

I said okay, but we leave the cart in here.

She said: What if someone takes the stuff.

I said: who cares, we haven't paid for it yet. It's not ours. Just take your purse.

I went to the greeter with the cart and asked her to watch it for me and got an odd response: As long as you understand I'm not responsible for it.

I laughed.

A MGR asked what the matter was and i told him. His response was what i expected. We'll be glad to watch it! He then talked to the greeter.

If you work with them, they'll work with you.

You want their goods, they want your money. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

#24 Consumer Suggestion

Common Sense Prevails

AUTHOR: Steven - (U.S.A.)

Bryan, after reading your post it seems like you are a genuinely good guy; however, your actions were not wise.

You can not take merchandise out of the store without paying: Period. If Wal-Mart (or any other retailer) allows this to happen they are putting their trust in complete strangers. Who is to say that the person is just stepping out side for a second? Why should they trust that you will be back to pay for the item?

By your logic a shoplifter would never get caught. They could always claim, "well I was going to pay I just stepped out", or, "I was coming back in to pay".Once they let you leave the store with merchandise, The chances are slim to none that they are going to catch you for theft once you are outside or in the parking lot.

Hopefully you can make your case in court.

I agree--it is about character

AUTHOR: Greg - (U.S.A.)

You are absolutely correct about it all being about your character. And true, only you know your intent and character.

I just want to convey, once more, sometimes less is more.

You have about 45 seconds to convince a judge to sympathize with you. He may go through formalities, but within 45 seconds of your defense statement, his mind will be made up.

I believe if you repeat the account you wrote here, the judge, or jury, will be thinking, "here we go with a story to try to cover his tracks", and will tune you out.

You say it would be a lie to use my approach, but would it? Or would you

If you are taking the pills, you could have easily affected. There is no shame in that.

Narcotic rx's are known to cause temporary mental status changes, and most of the time, the patient has no idea how unusual their words and/or actions are.

I have heard people on various ACAP/opiate drugs speak complete jibberish, using made up words or out of context statements, seriously expecting a reply.

In their minds, they make complete sense, and get angry if someone does not understand. This impaired cognitive behavior can also occur in one's actions.

While you are very analytical and descriptive of the whole incident, have you considered the possibility that you were a little confused? Or at a minimum, judgement impaired from the meds?

You can argue it all day, but in the end, it is incriminating for a customer to load a cart with an expensive item, get turned away from one exit of the store, then end up passing the cashiers, not paying, and again try and this time succeed in exiting the store.

You have explanations for every move, but even if you are being honest, your explanations seem to ring of guilt. You are convincing only yourself of the story.

You use whatever defense you want, but keep it simple. And, if you have not tried already, you should try to get the DA to drop the charges, if your story is sincere and believable.

Good luck, and I hope you hired an attorney. And ask your doc about the effects of narcotics. You may be surprised.

#26 REBUTTAL Individual responds

A Lot Of Different Aspects Of This Situation

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

There is one thing that is very obvious with everybody's responses, nobody really knows what my intent is or was. It can be looked at in so many different ways, and to be honest I can see why.

Do I have a way to prove the money deposited was for the purchase of the generator? No. Can I prove I was not going to run with the basket? Yes and No. (i.e. family still in store, possible not fit in 2001 Honda Accord), but there is no way of knowing if there was someone in the parking lot with a truck. So Yes and NO

I have to go with Peter on the riding away on a mower; really do not think anybody has ever tried it. And he is also right on having to prove my intent, everybody knows that you are guilty until proven innocent these days, so if this ever happens to you get ready for a lot of injustice. It just seems if somebody has accused you of something than it must be true, the burden of proof no longer rest on the DA.

And to the person that thinks I get some sick since of pleasure of going outside with un-paid merchandise and playing with mowers and such. I am sure you have never gone to check out something or just tinker with stuff to kill time. As far as going outside with stuff all the time, it just really depends on what I am shopping for at the time and what my wife wants. I am into the tools and she is into plants and landscaping things. As far as changing my story to a lie, I am not going to do that. What I have said is the truth even if it sounds corny to people. That comes back to what is normal, what is normal to you may not be normal to me.

It is all going to come down to character and I think mine is ok and so do a lot of customers, friends and family. I treat people with respect, treat them fair and honest. I volunteer my time with law enforcement, Fire Departments and even go out and do free work on people's computers and other things they need help with, and sell stuff to them at cost or very near to my cost. People can take apart anything somebody says and make it look or sound the way they want. But the over all oppion here is 50/50, you all do not know me and unless you are here listening to both sides at once it is hard to make a good honest judgement.

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

Hey OP, why do you leave so many stores with unpaid merchandise? I dont understand.

You said the people working at other retail stores in your area KNOW YOU because you are the guy that tells them you are leaving the store with unpaid merchandise.

In my 27 years, I have never had to leave a store with something for which I didn't pay.

The fact that you do this all the time suggests you either ARE trying to steal, or you get some kind of strange pleasure from being outside of a store with something that isn't yours.

And to the guy who commended the other guy's grammar:

you were kidding right? He had commas in all the wrong places. I felt like I was reading something from a stuttering idiot.

Nice Cover Story

AUTHOR: Greg - (U.S.A.)

I have to give the perpetrator credit, he thought his story out good. Sounds like he was about to make the final leap to his vehicle, but Asset Protection spotted his first try by lawn & garden, so were ready for his exit.

You are so cavalier talking about how so many people go outside and shop with a cart of unpaid merchandise. Well, I would back off that statement in court, because I for one, and many others I am sure, never pass the registers with expensive power equipment to browse outside. In fact, you shop outside first, then do other shopping.

I would also back off the "I went out to play around with their riding mowers and such" statement, as its not like they were powered up and ready to go. Or did they have test patches of grass waiting to cut? What would you do, sit on one, grab the wheel, and pretend your a race car driver?

Excuse me now, as I am going to Best Buy. Think I'll load a computer in my cart and do parking lot laps for exercise. Unless, that is, my girlfriend appears so she can approve my "purchase".

I wonder, J, what priors do you have? That will come up in court. Oh, or maybe say you were researching retail industry security alertness and response time for a book you are writing.

Now, in all honesty now, here is your best shot to beat this charge. In court, sometimes the less said is more. Say, "your honor, I was looking for my family to check out, and without thinking, just went out front to see if they were outside. I did not even give the generator a thought, as I knew I was about to go pay for it. It's rather embarassing."

"My mind has been so spacey lately. I had no intent to steal anything, just an innocent goof-up. I am so doped up on pain pills, my mind wanders a little sometimes." Also back your story up with a note from your doctor, and you should beat the wrap.

Good Luck.

How about some common sense ..

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

The only thieves I've ever seen driving away on a riding lawn mower were the ones on the Most Stupid Criminals TV show. Do I need to explain WHY? Because using a lawn mower as a get away vehicle going 10 mph if that is NOT an ingenious way to escape a crime scene.

And as for your $2 deli sandwich statement ... $2 items are NOT a huge risk to the store. Of course you could still "go to jail" as you say if you steal such an item, but the store does NOT monitor sandwiches in the same manner as they would more expensive items like, for example, a generator. Again, common sense, my friend ...

MESSAGE FOR PETER

AUTHOR: Tom - (U.S.A.)

Peter, what planet do you really come from? Your statement, You don't exactly see thieves driving away on a riding mower, now do you? shows how uninformed you are about human nature! Why couldn't a theif drive away with a rideing mower?

Your statement about, inexpensive, low-risk items, please don't there! You can spend the night in jail for eating a $2.00 deli sandwich before paying for it!

Message to J

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

Just because you SAY that you did not have intent to steal the generator does not mean anything in court. You have to PROVE it to the jury. And claiming you had X number of dollars with you at the time does NOT prove anything.

I am not qualified to advise the OP but

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

He did not seem thoughtful in his actions. Sometimes we do become distracted and 'stuff happens'.

My wife has been recovering the last 2.5 years from a stroke-like incident. Her behavior usually seems fairly normal now, while other times it is not. She may suddenly wonder off without warning [she may decide that it is time to go home or she simply wants a restroom] so I have to keep careful track of her and always ask what she wants. We were in Sam's Club several weeks back and she was pushing a buggy loaded with unpaid-for merchandise as we headed for checkout. I have her push the buggy because it forces her to think and pay attention to what I am doing. I became distracted- maybe someone talked to me. I looked for her and saw that she was going out the in-door with that buggy full of of unpaid-for merchandise. The door warden only smiled at me as I brought her back into the store and we resumed our travel to checkout. Other times she will go to checkout if I linger somewhere, but the lines are usually long enough that Sam's doesn't have a delay waiting for me and our Sam's card.

AUTHOR: M (FlyingScooter) - (U.S.A.)

A long time ago, my daughters friend got busted for shop lifting from a Kmart. She was quilty as sin, and later admited to it.

When they caught her outside the store, she'd taken a CD, she looks at the LP guys and says: look, I've got 300.00 bucks in my pocket, why would i steal?

I had a friend that was LP. They've heard it all.

I'm not saying you didn't make an honest mistake, but how are they to know? A persons word to a corporation means nothing to them.

One other case in point. My friend went grocery shopping and took her teenage daughter with her. She spent about two hundred on groceries and her daughter ripped a pack of smokes. They got popped going out the door. My friend is like: What do you mean i stole a pack of smokes? i just paid 200.00 in your store... At that point, her daughter produced the smokes.

The LP's escorted them to an office and the police were called. The cops reviewed the tapes and made an indication that they did not believe they acted as a 'mother-daughter' team and charged the daughter exclusively.

They were both asked never to appear in their store again. That upset my friend, as she was not guilty of anything. But it's their store, and just because the PD said they didn't believe she had anything to do with it doesn't she didn't.

At what point can a store watch someone to guage their intentions before they are complelled to act?

#39 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Definition of Shoplifting

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

Did a search on the definition of shoplifting and this is what it defines it as:

It states in the second sentance: Shoplifting can include carrying, hiding, concealing, or otherwise manipulating merchandise with the intent of taking it or paying less for it. Since I had no intent of not paying then what I did is not considered shoplifting, it has to be that you intended on not paying for the product. I never left the property, did not even get off the sidewalk nor did I intend to.

I am not saying that Walmart did not have the right to request a recipt, checkout my intentions, etc... My complaint and point is, if they thought I was going to steel it, then what would have been wrong in waiting to see if I headed to my car or got off the sidewalk away from merchandise they are selling. I mean if I started walking and got off the sidewalk and in the parking lot then they could say that is intent, since there would have been no reason to be in the parking area that would show that the intent would have been to deprive Walmart of their property without compensation. It is not hard to see that I had no intent of steeling it. 1. My wife and son were still in the store. 2. I made a deposit less than a hour before this happened, hince I had the funds to pay for it. 3. There was a very good chance it would not have fit in the car anyway and would have had to put it in layaway or at the service desk. This is just 3 reasons why it is not hard to see why I had no intent to steel.

check up on the laws

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

In texas the theft has occured when you have passed the last point of sale (cash register) after passing that point, according to law you have stolen the item or items in question. it has nothing to do with the parking lot or or the outside boundries of the perimeter of the parking lot.

Some states go as far as once an item is concealed ( eaten possibly ) that it can be considered stolen although some loss prevention programs require that the customer go beyond the last point of sale.

#41 Consumer Suggestion

It is not theft in any state

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

According to state / local laws in any state, since Walmart owns all property that you either park on or shop on, it is not considered theft until you put the material in your car or pass the security line on the perimeter. You have grounds for wrongful detainment.

#42 Consumer Suggestion

Personally, I like Steve's answer - don't shop at wal-mart

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

However, in many cases not shopping at wal-mart is just not practical. Normal people, would use common sense and pay for their items prior to leave the store. But of course, this is a country of way too many non-normal people.

Concerning the Texas thing, I used to live near Dallas (not the best time in my life) and I know that many times during the spring, wal-mart will use up half thier parking lot with gardening stuff and people wander all around with and without buggys. Some just use their soon-to-be-purchased-wheelbarrel.

And not a cash register in sight.

Anyway - the orignal OP needs to take the attitude that wal-mart is out to get him - because they are and anybody else they think they can muscle around. The idea is to not give them anything to use. I've actually been stopped in the parking lot in Terrell Texas because they thought I'd lifted a cell phone. Even when I showed them the receipt and the new contract, they forced me back into the store to the Kiosk where they sold me the phone - talk about dumb!

Sometimes I think wal-mart is just out to find someone, anyone whom they think they can use as their anti-shoplifting poster child of the month.

There - my 6 cents worth (2 cents adjusted for inflation and the price of crude).

So then....

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Thanks Jim. I'm no lawyer, nor do I play one on TV... :)

Based on your post, the question then begging to be asked is this: If people go outside with their buggy of unpaid for merchandise to see the flowers or whatever mdse is out there, and these people are not stopped by anyone (say the door attendent had a sneezing fit, or stepped away, or whatever), why does it then become acceptable for everyone to do it? Why does the mistake become the rule? Seems Wal-Mart has showed that it does not want people doing it by hiring they're infamous door attendants. What about successful shoplifters then? Just because they get away with it does not make it acceptable, ya know?

I don't agree with the sign either. It's common sense not to leave a store without paying for the things in your buggy.

Perhaps I mis-spoke regarding intent. There is absolutely room for "the reasons" in law. Which is why we have trials and juries, so it all can come out. I don't think it really applies in this instance though.

I'm not trying to be argumentitive, really. I'm just not very good at expressing myself sometimes. lol

your best defense

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

according to texas law what you did could be considered theft or shoplifting unless the sale are on the outside of the building contained a cash register where you cold pay for the item.

good luck with your case

#45 Consumer Suggestion

Possible Solutions to Wal-Mart's aggressive Loss Control Policies

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

It is pretty obvious from this report and others that Wal-Mart has a very aggressive Loss Control Department (read that Anti-Shoplifting Department). That is their right. They have the right to protect their merchandise as they see fit. Customers have to start seeing things as Wal-Mart sees it.

1. Do not bring merchandise that has not been paid for outside the store or even past the cash registers. You have a shopping cart loaded with 200 gallons of ice cream, and you are thinking of buying a lawn mower? The Lawn Mowers are located on the sidewalk? Leave the ice Cream in the store. Walk out to the Lawn Mowers empty handed except for your own personal property and look all you want, as the ice cream melts away.... If you decide to buy a Lawn mower, buy it, pay for it, take it to your car and then come back for the ice cream.

2. Better yet - buy whatever is outside the store that you want first, bring it to your car, then shop inside the store.

3. Even better yet - don't shop at Wal-Mart.

To John from Georgia

John,

While most of your argument/post is true, wal-mart has "created the atomosphere". I.E., if a customer with a buggy full of merchandise walks out to the lawn mowers to shop, wal-mart has created the appearance of allowing just such conduct.

This is especially true without some sort of notice such as a big sign that says something along the lines of "please pay for your merchandise before shoping mowers, or please no unpaid merchandise in this area" like they do at the rest room.

Thus, wal-mart is partly to blame and the original OP can invoke the doctrin of "Dirty Hands" which means that if one side creates the situation, they can then NOT seek equality in court. In other words, if a landlord refuses your timely rent payment, he can not then seek to have your removed for not paying your rent.

Thusly, by wal-mart creating the atmosphere where they encourage shopping of outside merchandise, they can not then say with impunity that the customer was shoplifting.

However, if the customer, then just continued his buggy to his vehicle, that would then obviously be shoplifting.

One correction, intention IS relevent in the law. An element of any crime is whether the alleged person is culpable for the crime and to be culpable the person realized the wrongful nature of his/her actions and thus should take the blame.

Thus, intent IS a relevent factor.

A couple of points here...

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

I will probably be told I am a Wal-Mart lover or that I work there (neither of which is true) for posting this. It's a shame that a difference of opinion isn't just that here. It's an evil plan by some large company to discredit the average guy or something silly like that.. *sigh*

Anyway:

The OP is probably a good guy who just made a simple error in judgement. It happens to all of us. That being said, and this being a nation of law..

1. The act of leaving a store with unpaid for merchandise is considered stealing. Even if your intentions were innocent (as they probably were), it is THE ACT that is the issue here, not the reason behind the act, and you attempted to commit this act more than once.

2. The amount in your bank account is irrelevant.

3. Wal-Mart had no idea of your intentions when you attempted to walk out of the store with their merchandise. They just saw you walking out with unpaid merchandise. This is the exact same action that thieves take. How was Wal-Mart supposed to guess that you would be right back, and what assurances did they have that you would indeed return with their inventory? Granted you asked about mowers the first time, Wal-Mart did not give you permission to leave the store with their inventory.

4. Wal-Mart, or any other retailer for that matter, is obligated to treat all people in this situation similarly. I bet a large percentage of caught shoplifters have a story about how it was all just a big mistake. The retailer cannot pick and choose who to prosecute based on the stories they hear.

Can you imagine the litagation brought on if they did? For example, a guy sues the retailer because they prosecuted him, but let some woman go because she was more believable. That could easily be skewed into sexual discrimination, couldn't it? You can see the problems that could cause with race, appearance, etc. Reatilers would have to pay so much in litigation fees that they would have to raise thier prices to keep themselves protected.

Obviously, the thing to have done is tell the employee at the door that you need to step outside for a minute, that you would be right back, and ask them would they mind keeping an eye on the cart you are leaving with that employee until you get back.

Sorry dude. You may be the most law-abiding, moral, and civilly conscience person on the planet, but legally it is your actions at issue here, not your intent.

Charles ...I must acknowledge your comment on this report

AUTHOR: Cyd - (U.S.A.)

Well said Charles!!! You recent comment was well written for you. Your comment was logical, concise and to the point and did not contain any nonsensical ramblings we usually see from you. You have just proven that you are capable of writing contructive comments and/or reports that provide useful ideas and thoughts on the topic at hand and are informative to the reader.

If you can attempt to write all your submissions to this website in this same manner, people will be more likely to take your reports and comments more seriously and this will increase your credibility. Your usual rambling rants only serve to distract from your intent to inform the public of rip-off companies.

You have things to contribute to this website and your dedication to reporting those who you feel have ripped you and/or your mother off is to be commended. To have the highest impact in getting your point across to the reader stick to a logical, concise, to the point writing style. You CAN DO IT!

I could not let your comment pass without acknowledging you for well-written comment.

#49 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Dallas, your post is a little confussing...

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

You say that I am in the wrong but a fair Judge or Jury may see things differently. So do you think I am guilty? But a judge or jury being fair would not? It just seems that you are stating that you are not fair... Just needs a little clearing up is all...

I do have a update on Walmart... Went by the area today and have noticed that Walmart is now moving everything from the sidewalks, I would say more than half the stuff has been moved inside or they are nolonger selling it. Since I am not allowed back in the store or property I cannot tell you if they are putting it all in the store or not. ABC 40 News in the area has the story and may have done a peice on them, I know they were planning on it since they got the story from me right after this happened. I wanted them to let people know that just because Walmart has given you permission to go outside before with merchandise it apperantly is no longer allowed and they are using it to wrongfully accuse people of shoplifting. I cannot confirm this is why they are moving this stuff, it may be also because of the extreme heat currently, or maybe they finally got it threw their heads that putting stuff on the sidewalks for people to buy is not a good ideal because of the confussion this causes. But they have moved push mowers now along with slides, dog houses, kids bikes, etc... by the lawn and garden exit not chained or locked up, of course they still have rows of different soils, fertilizer, garden tools still in the parking lot. If I can help get the message out and tell people of my experence with Walmart maybe I can help prevent this from happening to someone else.

keep posting

AUTHOR: Charles - (U.S.A.)

Keep, posting they have been 196,000 reports filed if people keep filing & exposing these bad businesses rip-off report will have 1,000,000,000 reports entered & they are almost up to that point!. We, need to work up to that point to get these bad businesses who treat us badly! so keep reporting we will make a difference!, & this website will be a big sucess for the rip-off report staff!.

Keep us posted.

AUTHOR: Dallas - (U.S.A.)

J,While I do feel that you were wrong,a fair Judge or jury may see things differently.Keep us posted as to your situation.As to D in Naples,Florida..I do think that there is a small town in Alabama called Pony.I think it is only a station more then a town.There are several towns here in Oklahoma that are not on the map,and Peter's town is probably one like that.I will try to do some research on it.I may be wrong,though.It seems like I have heard of Pony,Alabama.

You give a lot of advice................

AUTHOR: D - (U.S.A.)

Peter, you give a LOT of advice at this site, can you please give us some information. I haven't been able to find Pony, Alabama listed on ANY web-site. Can you PLEASE provide us with the ZIP CODE to Pony, Alabama. Thanks.

Oh puhlease!!

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

Plants and other miniscule items are placed outside because they are inexpensive, low-risk items. There are not a lot of people out there to steal 4" potted vegetable plants, now are there?

Riding lawnmowers ... another low-risk item when kept in monitoring view, considering that a person cannot exactly pick one up and put it in his/her vehicle and escape quickly. You don't exactly see thieves driving away on a riding mower, now do you?

Back to the issue at hand ... a generator. A person can put said item in a cart, take it outside, and put it inside his/her vehicle rather quickly and easily. THAT is the kind of item that the store keeps an especially cautious eye over because it is considered HIGH THEFT.

Walmart NEVER puts expensive items outside?

AUTHOR: Lori - (U.S.A.)

Since when? What about those $400.00 riding lawnmowers? Do you not consider those to be expensive?

If Wally World doesn't want you shopping outside, why do they put merchandise out there in the first place?

One Walmart here, I-240 and Santa Fe, even has plants and other gardening supplies half way across the parking lot.

This report sounds like an honest human mistake and Walmart just needs to let it go!

#55 REBUTTAL Individual responds

I Would Not Have Tried It 3 Times

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

Well it does not sound to good on your friend that did it 3 times, believe me this will be the last time I walk outside without making sure an employee knows exactly what I am doing. I always check with the other stores now since this happened. Sometimes I feel like I am bothering them because I ask them each time, even when they tell me "you ask me that everytime you shop here"... But I think they understand where I am coming from since I told them what Wal-Mart did to me.

I have spoken to venders, managers, employee's including Wal-Mart employee's and tell them what happened, each and every one of them has told me I did nothing wrong. Now this could be because they are just being nice but I get the feeling they are being sincere.

I guess stores do things a little different than stores in this town. Most people here in college town have big bucks since Texas A&M and Blinn College are here. Like I said in my previous posts, this is the only time I have ever had any problems shopping on the sidewalk. Even in my case where I was not shopping but looking for my family so we could talk about the bigger generator, I would also like to add there was a good chance it would not have fit in the 2001 Honda Accord and possibly would have had to put it in layaway or at the service desk until I got back with the truck.

I can understand them questioning my intentions, checking to make sure I had the funds to pay for it and all that would not have been un-reasonable, but going to the extent of filing charges, costing us thousands of dollars in legal fee's and lots of nights of no sleep thinking about this could have been avoided with a little understanding, and some checking with the bank right there in the store. My wife and child were still in the store, what was I going to do, take off and leave them there?

Talk about someone being pissed off. Not to mention there was a really good chance it would not even had fit in the car, then what would I do? Would not have been able to take it back in the store, this thing bearly fit in the basket. There was just say many things that showed that I was not trying to steel this thing.

But I have people coming from all over to testify that I do not do steal, customers even. I have also ran my own business and had to deal with shoplifters, it really sucks when your lively hood is walking out the door, that is another reason I would not do this not to mention it is very wrong to do. But my attornies are very confident that I will come out ok, I only wish I had everybodies confidence, hate to think that this could really cause some very hard times and the loss of any real good paying jobs in the future not to mention the loss of going back to my job in TDCJ-ID as a corrections officer. But I will keep everybody posted on the events as they happen. Take care all.

You may not be a thief.

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

But you did exactly what thieves do. Please let us all know how you do in court. I know a guy that had the exact same thing happen to him at least three times, right now he's doing two years in the county jail. Each time it was a generator or some expensive tool from Walmart, and each time he said he was stepping outside to look for someone.

#57 Consumer Suggestion

heres the deal

AUTHOR: Leah - (U.S.A.)

crime is out there full force. unfortunatly, companies do not know who is and isn't a theif, and have to take ALL precautions necessary to prevent theft.

that includes stopping people going a few feet out the door with a couple of unpaid merchandise. i understand you were just looking for your wife and wanted to go back in and pay for it, but they do not know you, and cannot assume you are one of the honest people.

the sensible thing to have done, would have found an employee, explain the situation, and leave your merchandise with them while you went outside. that would have prevented any of this to happen.

this would work not only at walmart, but every store as well. you have to realzie that companies cannot seperate the good people from bad, because they do not know them.

if a dishonest person who was trying to steal, saw the company let you walk a few feet out with unpaid merchandise, they would try the same thing, and if they weren't allowed, they could call discrimmination. if they are allowed, then they could take off across the parking lot to their car or wherever they are going.

it could be bad for business anyway around, and to keep their business going, they have to take every precaution out there.

#58 Consumer Suggestion

Don't listen to Peter from Nowhere

Listen all,

Peter has his own threads here about not getting social security, about trying to buy wine with food stamps, and there is no place called Pony Alabama - he is a fraud.

Don't be confused by his scortching blabbering - it's only to inflame you and get you riled up.

While I personally am careful not to do ANYTHING in a wally world that would make them suspect me, they - being wally world - go out of their way sometimes to find people to "make examples of" so they can get more free advertising.

Well there's my 6 cents worth (2 cents adjusted for inflation).

#59 REBUTTAL Individual responds

I except responsibility for my actions

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

First off I would like to thank you for your post Mary; it is finally good to see that there are people that still believe in an honest mistake or error in judgment.

There was so many things that I could have done differently that day, all the suggestions people have posted make perfect sense, (i.e. leave the basket with the lady at the door, taken it to the service desk, had a assonate watch it for me, purchased it and if need be return it although that one is a little much but after what I have been threw it would be welcome at this point).

I was going to tell the lady at the door since I had been asked for a receipt already once, I even had stopped by her for a few seconds to tell her but she was so busy I do not know if she just did not see me or did not feel that I was doing anything wrong in her mind, she is the only one that knows that answer to that question. I should have waited for her to acknowledge me or something even though I had done it for many years go out and back in the store with unpaid merchandise, I guess you can say I had a blond moment as they say but the medication I am on could have had something to do with it. Do not get me wrond I have been asked for a receipt but once I told them what I was doing I was allowed to go on my mary way. I would say anybody that wanted to can call the local stores in my area and ask them if they let people go out and shop, they will verify what I have told you all it the truth, but apparently at Wal-Mart it is no longer allowed or not a good ideal even to do it if they say it is ok now.

I do not blame the security personal for what happened that day, they felt that there was something that needed their attention and I can understand that. That is one of the reasons I was not rude, gave them my information, did not cuss them out, and gave them any and all information they asked for, even the means to check out my statement and maintained a professional attitude even though I was upset I was being accused of a crime. I am almost sure I told them at the bank that day I was buying a generator when I made the deposit that is why I asked them to check with the bank. I know all the people there and have done business with that bank now for over 1 ? years and I always chat with them when I go to that branch. But the security guard was nice and I also think that he did not believe that I was guilty, we even were in the back playing around with the cameras and he made prank calls to his buddies in electronics, he found out that even they have call return on their internal system?lol But it was the assistant manger that was out for blood I guess that day.

I have to admit I found it very odd when you told me that people really steal generators all the time, you would think something that big would be very hard to get but I am sure thief's have their ways and working in a prison like I have done for years I guess I should not have been surprised, I just hope I this gets worked out and I will one day be able to return to my job as an officer and not an inmate or offender as they call them now. I was shocked when I went threw the door and the alarm did not go off with the one I had in the basket, you would think they would put alarm tags all over them, I would if they are a hot item to get stolen, but my implant in my back and left butt usually does it just fine tag or not. But I do not want to write a book about this and take up a few MB of space on this site. I just hope that what everybody here in home town says happens and it will all be ok and gets worked out.

Hard to see both sides

AUTHOR: Mary - (U.S.A.)

I would first like to say that I have at one point in time worked in the "security" aspect of a large unnamable retailer. I have seen the good and the bad.

I see where J is coming from and I agree that you were probably an honest customer who made an honest mistake. If I was the person that came up to you and asked you to come back in the store, I would have done things a little differently.

First off, I would have asked you back into the store because I didn't know if you were going to make a scene. Also, I believe in privacy and I don't want to make you look bad in front of every other person coming and going. It is none of their business, after all. Once you were in a place (usually a room in the front of the store or the back of the store) I would have asked you to explain your story. Had I believed you, which from the sounds of what you wrote, I would have. I would call in a manager and explain the circumstances to the manager. As long as the manager ok'd it, I would have let you go.

That being said, you do have to realize that the person that stopped you had every right to do so. They weren't aware of what your circumstances were. If I were you I would have stopped at the door greeter person and explained to them. I know this would have taken extra time and you were busy looking for your wife and child, but it would have been worth it. The greeter would have watched the item for you or possibly suggested that you take it to the courtesy desk where you could pick it up when you found your family.

I hate to see a good person like you get the wrong impression of a store, whether it be Wal-Mart or any other. You have to realize that people steal everyday. When I worked in security, generators were an item that was stolen nearly daily.

If I were you, I would go to court and plead my case. I would also call 1-800-walmart and explain to them what happened. Did you try going to the store manager? Also, I would ask for the security person's boss's name and phone number.

I hope that since you are an honest person, you are dropped of the charges. Please let us know what the outcome is.

Thanks!

#61 REBUTTAL Individual responds

More to think about

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

Peter, it is very clear how you think, you look for the bad in people because the bad stuff is always easier to believe. You believe I am guilty and that is your right.

Walmart has many times before let me go out and in the store with merchandise, even as far as my car, you can believe that or not, many stores in this town also allow you to do this (ie. Lowes, Home Depot, HEB, and a few others I shop at.) A lot of them encourge this but I do not go into the parking lot, that would be out of bounds and I would even consider that shoplifting. This walmart puts some really high dollar items outside that could very easily walk away, and no they are not chained. We even put our X-max tree in the back of the truck and take the tag inside the store to pay, have done this for the last 5 years, is this shoplifting?

I guess we do things a little different in Texas, we do still believe in trust for the most part, I guess Walmart forgot that there is still honest people out there, Katrina may have had something to do with this since crime has almoust doubled.

My case is, I was not attempting to leave the shopping area, I was not attemping to get off the sidewalk, I was standing on the sidewalk looking for my family. I do not blame Walmart for asking for a recipt, questing my actions, I probobly would have done the same thing until I learned the entire truth and the reasons for my actions.

Shoplifters do not go out 2 doors in the same day or go outside and just stand there looking around the general area 6 ft from the door, they get out the door and their gone. They approched me while standing there. At no time was I rude, try to get away, I told them what I was doing and gave them the means to check it out which they had plenty of time to do since I was in the back of the store with 2 and 3 walmart workers for over 2 hours waiting for the police, the bank was right in front of the store. I think this would have been faster than waiting that long.

Walmart is nuts these days, they even have killed people while stopping them. They are untrained and are looking for a pat on the back and a raise and do not care if what they do hurts people.

I have friends & neighbors, customers, my landlord all going to court to testify on my behalf that I do not steal. When I go to stores that I shop at, and go outside I tell them about this, they all agree that what I did was not stealing. One thing I make sure of now is they know what I am doing because I do not want this to happen again. We are so paranoid now that we even ask when taking something back outside that came from outside, ask before opening a soda, anything that may be considered stealing or questionable.

You were in the wrong.

AUTHOR: Dallas - (U.S.A.)

J,I can most certainly sympathize with your situation,and I know you are probably a good person,but in this instance you were wrong.In times past,I wanted to buy something at Wal Mart,but like you,I needed to discuss it with a family member.But,I ALWAYS put the item aside,and went and found them first to discuss it,I didn't carry the item through 2 doors without paying for it first.And the security guards did nothing wrong in apprehending you.J,you mentioned that the generator you decided on was more expensive then the one you decided on,so how were these guards to know what you deposited covered it?If I were a store owner,and saw somebody carry out my goods without paying for them,no matter what the person's intentions were,I would flip out.J,you were wrong.I don't like Wal Mart too much,but in this case,they were in the right.

Such nonsense ...

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

Sorry to ruin your illusion of the friendly door greeter, but they are put there for a reason, and it is to prevent theft. If they were just there to put a smile on your face, then why is it their JOB to respond to each and every shoplifting alarm, check people's bags, check merchandise coming into the store, etc.

I highly doubt that you "were allowed to enter and exit with unpaid merchandise for YEARS" as you claim. You probably just did it because you felt that you could get away with it and luckily no one said anything to you. That does not mean that your behavior was acceptable, as you are finding out now.

And what does calling your bank have to do with anything? You honestly expect a busy retailer like Walmart to drop what they're doing to call your bank for no good reason, and you expect your bank to divulge your personal information to Walmart? Such nonsense ...

#64 Consumer Suggestion

You need your day in court.

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

Though you are of course innocent until proven guilty, the store saw you going out the door with a big-ticket item and had a right to be suspicious. Then the onus seems to be almost on you to prove that you didn't intend to steal it. It is interesting that many actual shoplifters have the money on them to buy the item, but they steal it anyway. So your defense ought to be more around the fact that you didn't leave the sidewalk area, and since merchandise is also displayed there, you were legally still "inside the store."

Hopefully you didn't sign or admit anything in the windowless back room. Whenever they try to take you there you need to give them the ultimatum to either let you go or call the police. The magic words are "Are you accusing me of a crime?" It's a yes or no question. Those are the only two choices you allow. If they choose to call the police, remain silent until the police arrive and possibly plead your case with them. The security goons have already decided you're guilty so there's no sense arguing with them.

They try that $200 letter crap on everyone. Don't pay it. It probably also bans you from Wal-Mart for life, they do have the right to do that to anyone for any reason other than protected onese of race, religion, etc. I consider it a benefit.

#65 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Peter - Pony, Alabama

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

I guess it shows that you are a die hard Walmart shopper are you work there. You cannot see the simple truth in this matter.

Walmart is supposed to have "GREETERS" not wanna be cops. They were put there originaly to help people as they came into the store, get baskets ready, help you find things you need. Walmart has become so parinoid that everybody is out to steal from them and a lot of people are getting accused of crap they did not do.

Walmart had set a presadence in that letting me & others go out and in shopping for years, now they are needing something to justify a job is what this has come down to. When the security gaurd told my wife this is probobly a mistake right there was already doubt in his own mind. A simple call to the bank in the front of the store would have confirmed what I had told them was the truth.

The defination of shoplifing is the intent to steal or deprive the store of property, I had no intent to do such. This is a matter of a mis-understanding that has gone way to far and has gotten out of hand.

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

Sorry - but you are WRONG. It is NEVER okay to push a cart of UNPAID merchandise out the front door to check out whatever sidewalk clearance sale you may see. Why does Walmart have a person guarding the door, and theft detection alarms at the door? This alone should tell you that it is to make sure that unpaid merchandise stays INSIDE the store.

Yes, Walmart does put some things outside the store -- generally, very inexpensive items like half-wilted plants, plastic patio chairs, etc. They NEVER put expensive items like generators outdoors. Therefore it should be a no-brainer that such items are NOT to be taken from the store unless paid for!

I don't know what else to tell you. It appears that you believe you should be an exception to the rules. I'm glad Walmart did not patronize your self-righteous attitude that day.

#70 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Mike - Radford, Virginia

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

I was not in the parking lot, I was on the sidewalk behind the red barricades, standing within a few feet of stuff they are selling.

My wife and son were together, I had other business to do, (ie deposits, med pickup) I could have done a dozen different things I guess but I was only doing what I have done many times in the past and did not give it much thought. When you are allowed to do something over and over it gets put in your mind that it is ok because they have allowed it many times. If they ask I have always told them what I was doing and it has never been a problem. To this day I still do my shopping outside at other stores (Lowes, Home Depot,etc...) after what I have been accused of I do make sure they know for sure, and I do not take my medications until I get home.

I could see their point on detaining me, but after they were given a lot of information that could have been verified it should have been known it was just a big mistake.

If there had been a get away car they could have gotten it on tape (which by the way their tapes have disappered that prove my story) and gotten the LP. Checked to see if I tried to get off the sidewalk or remove the item from the cart. They did nothing of the sort. I feel that I am just a victom of someone needing to justify a job. I mean Walmart does not even wait to see if you are found guilty before sending out a letter asking for 200.00 dollars in damages... These days you are guility until proven innicent...

#71 REBUTTAL Individual responds

My response to you

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

Walmart may not have known what my true intent was, true but they could have waited to see if I got off the side walk, or check out what I had told them to see if it checked out, then say we made a mistake, sorry we are just making sure but please pay for the merchandise from now on before shopping outside. That would have made since, but no, they want to make a name for them self with their untrained security personal. I am on all their camera's in the store, finger prints on the basket, they could have found me. They have more camera's per square foot then the CIA does.

What gives me the right to shop outside? They put stuff outside for people to buy, by that they have included their sales floor to include those areas. They have allowed myself as well as many other people to go in, out and back in of the store shopping and now they want to say no after allowing it for many years. Any other store you go to these days knows if they put stuff outside people are going to go to these area's and shop. There is no rule posted that say's you have to shop outside with another basket, they put all the baskets in the store so you have to go inside the store to get one.

When you go shopping in Walmart, do you put plants that can get in the way of your other shopping, taking the chance in damanging them? Well I do not, I put the plants on top making sure not to damage the branches.

I guess you are right I could have left the basket in the store, I guess all the other times I had gone out and in I just really did not think anything about it, repetative actions I guess.

#72 Consumer Suggestion

Don't act suspicios, there's less reason to suspect you.

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

I have to agree with the gentleman from Pony. Wal-Mart is rather ruthless and though they haven't done that to me, that is one of the reasons I don't go there. But you would've been in trouble doing what you did at ANY store. If you're worried about someone else taking that last generator, you have to stay inside the store and babysit it. Or pay for it and even take it out to the car (depending on how secure you think the parking lot may be) while you wait for your wife. If she doesn't agree with the generator purchase later, it would just take a couple minutes to return it and get the money back.

What gives you the right??

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

What gives you the right to load expensive merchandise into a cart, and then not once but TWICE try to push that cart outside the door before you pay for the merchandise? Regardless of what you meant by it, ANY store would consider that STEALING!

You may think that there is nothing wrong with this situation, but from the store's point of view this is a major security breach.

There is no reason why you could not have left your cart INSIDE the store while going outside to look at whatever was out there or to find your wife.

The store acted reasonable in this situation. How are they to know that there is not a get-away vehicle parked right in front of the door and that the UNPAID merchandise you're carting is not going to disappear?