Complaint Review: Walmart

• Submitted: Sat, January 05, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, February 28, 2009

• Reported By:fairbanks Alaska
Walmart
Johansen Parkway Fairbanks, Alaska U.S.A.

Walmart Employment Fairbanks Alaska

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: As a former Associate

*Consumer Comment: I have to agree

*Consumer Comment: Have you ever applied for jobs before?

*Consumer Comment: Discrimination

*Consumer Comment: They Probably did you a favor!

*Consumer Comment: What discrimination? Walmart is not required to hire every applicant.

Filled out an online application on November 29th, 2007 and never heard from them. Was in the store and one of the cashiers I know told me to contact the HR manager. I sent her my resume and the two positions I was interested in.
She called me and told me because I have limited availability they won't even consider my application. I thought they were family oriented and would work around your schedule?? I guess not.

Nowhere on either of these positions does it state any hours they are looking for.
They need all the help they can get there because it is opening as a super store in a few months and they won't have anyone to work for the grand opening.
I"m thinking of writing a letter to the main office and mentioning the word DISCRIMINATION in my letter. Wonder if that would get any action??

Anna
fairbanks, Alaska

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2008 08:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walmart/Fairbanks-Alaska-99701/Walmart-Employment-Fairbanks-Alaska-297403. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walmart

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

As a former Associate

AUTHOR: Zax50 - (U.S.A.)

Walmart is not required to hire everybody. They are a privite company and can hire anybody they wish. Walmart is a very large company. Working for walmart is a hit or miss when it comes to how they treat people. I for example have never seen walmart guilty of anything some stores in the lower 48 have against them. I have found that depending on the store, you may or may not have a great or horrible work experiance.

I know for a fact that the Fairbanks store prefers people who have the ability to work full shifts and overtime. Last time I was in Fairbanks, I was told flat out that with limited availibity, I would not be hired though if I was able to work overtime, I had a better chance. It seems the idea the manangment has there, is to hire less people to work longer hours for a better pay bracket. Meaning bigger paychecks for longer hours. Because Walmart is going to mostly ALL Supercenters in Alaska, the hire rate may or may not go up, but for sure you may have a better chance if you have more hours to contribute.

They will not do anything if you report it.

I have to agree

AUTHOR: Daniel - (U.S.A.)

With the updates here. Companies that are looking to hire people must first put their needs ahead of everything. You said it yourself the company is/will be shorthanded. So with that said, they are going to need/want flexible employees, not ones that can only work certin schedules.

I've been working since i've been 17 and I can tell you any time you put down "certin hours you can work" your chances of being hired are going to be cut. Employers that have applications for people that are able to work anytime are going to get that job before you.

This appears to be reverse-discrimination. Please don't see me as being against women in the working field here but it looks like your tring to make this into a sexual argument. "Wal-Mart won't hire a woman". That's how this looks to me.

I don't think it's going to get you very far, the mere fact that your applying for a job at walmart doesn't say a whole lot about you as a person. I love wal-mart, I shop there all the time, I don't agree with some of things the company does however who am I to say how they should run their business.

Be more flexible in your schedule and companies will probably hire you!
Best Regards

Have you ever applied for jobs before?

AUTHOR: Clc - (U.S.A.)

I don't mean to be flippant, but the tone of your complaint leads me to believe you don't have a grasp of the process of job hunting.

To claim discrimination you have to have a basis under law. In all the 50 states of the U.S. the labor laws do not require employers to contact all applicants whether or not they have been considered for a position. This also applies to federal labor laws.

Not withstanding your trying to inflict your feelings on how they should conduct their business, it's not up to you to dictate how they should do their work. Yes, it would be nice if we all could have sit down interviews, but in the real world of now it's a lot of online and instore computer kiosk applications that are the norm.

Companies are not required to tell us everything they want or do. Most employment situations are at-will, meaning that if they don't want you, you're gone and if you don't like it there, you leave. I

've been working since I was 14 and have had many jobs. If I whined every time I didn't hear from a prospective employer after filling out an application then I'd be a very unhappy person.

The way you should look at this is that it's their loss for not hiring you and move on.

Discrimination

AUTHOR: Sandi - (U.S.A.)

Having limited availability is not a protected class, and it does not fall under discrimination. As others have commented, they are not required to hire every applicant. That's why it's called a job SEARCH. You're not guaranteed to be hired anywhere you apply.

Good luck finding a job!

What discrimination? Walmart is not required to hire every applicant.

AUTHOR: Wilson - (U.S.A.)

I find no discrimination in the posted story. Walmart does not have to hire all job applicants. Grow up. Go apply for a job with another employer.

Many years ago, I had applied for jobs with Sam's Club, Costco and Macys and I had not received any invitations for interviews with these companies. Did I feel discrminated? Not at all.