Complaint Review: Walmart

• Submitted: Fri, January 20, 2006
  • Updated: Wed, February 01, 2006

• Reported By:Smyrna Delaware
Walmart
2802 South Center Street Marshalltown, Iowa U.S.A.

Walmart False Accusation ripoff Marshalltown Iowa

*Consumer Comment: not entirely correct, Michael, if Walmart filed a police report

*Consumer Suggestion: Take walmart to court for extortion

The week after Christmas I was in Walmart with my daughter and her teenage friend (both 14). I had finished shopping and returned to my car when security came to get me. They informed me that my daughter was being held for shoplifting. On the way into the store they told me it wasn't my daughter, it was her friend who had shoplifted. The friend admitted to taking an item worth under $10 and returned it then. She told them that my daughter was not aware of her shoplifting and had not been with her when she did it. I was informed that my daughter was banned from Walmart for the next 6 months and would have to write a letter of apology to the store manager in order to ever return, or she could/would be arrested for criminal trespass. We were also told we would be getting something from head office about repayment.

Today I got a letter from corporate headquarters demanding a $50 total civil recovery payment stating they would take me to court if I didn't pay it. It stated my daughters name and that she "took possession of of merchandise from Walmart, without the owners consent, without paying for it, and with intent of converting the merchandise for personal use or the use of another."

Keep in mind that neither girl was charged with any crime, although I'm aware that the friend did shoplift. And even though the store employees knew and admitted that night that they are knew my daughter did not steal anything and that she wasn't aware that her had, that it was corporate policy to handle it this way and they could do nothing about it.

I was very interested to read the former post from single mom with problem as same store in same town. This store may be setting bad precedent?

Barb
Smyrna, Delaware

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/20/2006 10:55 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walmart/Marshalltown-Iowa-50158/Walmart-False-Accusation-ripoff-Marshalltown-Iowa-172617. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walmart

not entirely correct, Michael, if Walmart filed a police report

AUTHOR: Denny - (U.S.A.)

If walmart filed a police report on the shoplifting event, then Michael you are wrong.

Dont pay, or goto court, causing yoru daughter even more agravation, and embarassment.

So what if she didn't know the friend was going to steal. its after the fact, and she was with her friend when they probably 'tried to leave the store. To them, both are responsible for the theft.

Make you daughter learn her lesson, make you pay the fines. Otherwise, you're going to be pyaing for a laywer, and of course legal fees should walmart win (and they will if they have a police report).

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Take walmart to court for extortion

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

Take walmart to court for extortion.... They are attempting to compell you to pay them money by threatening you using the guise of criminal activity that did not take place... THAT is a crime.. Take them to court... CRIMINAL COURT...