Complaint Review: Walmart

• Submitted: Fri, April 17, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, April 30, 2009

• Reported By:Medfield Massachusetts
Walmart
550 Providence Hwy Walpole, Massachusetts U.S.A.

Walmart The Old Bait and Switch Walpole Massachusetts

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: It's a matter of overhead.

*Consumer Comment: Neocarbunkle

*UPDATE Employee: I saw this case a lot

*Consumer Suggestion: A response

*Consumer Comment: No brainer.

*Consumer Suggestion: Walmart sucks

I went to purchase a SanDisk 8GB SDHC Ultra II Card for my digital camera at walmart.com. The item was out of stock online but listed at $ 24.84. The website referred me to the store closest to my work.

When I arrived at the store, with the web printout stating the item was out of stock, I discovered that the item was listed at the store for $36.88 plus tax. I showed the printout to the clerk, who told me that they don't match online prices, not even for walmart.com.

I asked to speak to the manager on duty, and he said the same thing. I was astounded and told him that I could understand an incidental amount, but a 33% markup was ridiculous. He responded that the price difference was due to the number of middlemen that were involved. I laughed and told him that I thought it was a "bait and switch", to which he replied "I understand where you are coming from, but a bait and switch has to be intentional" and referred me to the store manager who won't be in until tomorrow.

I told him that would make the purchase only because I was there already, but that would be writing to someone about this ripoff. I usually try to avoid companies like Walmart, and this just reinforces my belief that they are a crooked bunch.

Bob
Medfield, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/17/2009 07:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Walmart/Walpole-Massachusetts-02081/Walmart-The-Old-Bait-and-Switch-Walpole-Massachusetts-444596. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Walmart

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

It's a matter of overhead.

AUTHOR: Mechanicgtr - (U.S.A.)

Of course an actual store is going to charge more than the internet. It does not suprise me that they will not price match themselve IN THIS CASE because they would be losing money (and most stores of any company will not do this). While the practice may raise an eyebrow, I would recommend you contact corporate and lodge a complaint.

Neocarbunkle

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (U.S.A.)

I went to the trouble of copying Wal-Mart website's disclaimer above. Try and keep up.

I saw this case a lot

AUTHOR: Neocarbunkle - (U.S.A.)

I worked at walmart for several years and I saw customers doing exactly what you did all of the time. It's very natural to assume that a company would have the same price online as it does in the store. I don't believe it says any where on walmart.com that the price is online only. I don't think its illegal but its very dishonest to do business that way I think.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

A response

AUTHOR: Sourxgirl - (U.S.A.)

Most stores don't honor online prices. I work at a leading clothing store, and have had numerous people come in before saying they've seen something advertised at a certain price and expect us to give it them at that price they saw on the website. I've asked management and their response was that the store and website are two separate things, they have their own prices for merchandise based on how much stock they have. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bait and switch.

No brainer.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (U.S.A.)

None of the major retailers that I know of will honor Internet prices at their brick and mortar stores. This is not new, or a ripoff. This info is pretty easy to find on the website. It took me about 30 seconds.

From the Wal-Mart website :

Our stores do not honor Internet pricing or competitor advertisements from outside of a store's local trade territory

#6 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Becky - (U.S.A.)

I hate Walmart more than most people I know, but this is not bait and switch. They don't have to match the online prices, and I'm pretty sure there is a disclaimer somewhere saying so. Target doesn't match their online prices either, and it says right on the page that prices vary in stores.

#7 Consumer Suggestion